Author Topic: Thoughts.  (Read 23159 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Thoughts.
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2019, 06:49:06 PM »
We're living in a civilized nearly perfect world. It doesn't have to be famine, wild animals eating your kids, or similar to qualify as problems.

Obviously everything is made up at this point, because we're discussing a theoretical new feature, not ab existing one. Depending on specific details of the implementation these conditions could change from hypothetical made up to real.

You may have access to a preview and can already see how thong work in detail, and judge what effect things have on the various currently existing use-caes?

You're worrying about hypothetical problems that are not likely to manifest and using 'cruel' to mean oppressive. Cruel requires malicious intent. That seems unlikely.  So is the notion that a login will be oppressive.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2019, 07:05:03 PM »
...I would be curious how many people with joysticks have the same discard rate....

If you want new "players" to have a better time than maybe having a pop driven default to taking off automatically in a Spitfire with flashing text suggestions like "press+ to increase throttle - to decrease" (or whatever it is) playing constantly until a prominent opt out opt in check box is checked. I think that would be better than a sequence of training.

I wonder how many people think it's a gambling site?

A nice aspect of basic training missions like take off and landing, is learning aerodynamics like the lift drag relationship in a controlled relaxed environment. Completing training missions seems like an easier accomplishment than finding success in the MA with simple throttle and flap tips. Not saying that's a bad idea but if we want people to stay longer, then some early personal success might help with that for people with no prior flight knowledge.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2019, 07:13:36 PM »
Back in the day, there was a built-in market of joystick owning players leaving other games, Airwarrior etc.

We've already burned through that population over the years. 

The vast majority of players trying our game today are coming with experiences of Battlefield, War Thunder,  World of Tanks, World or Warships, etc..

Keyboard and mouse.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2019, 07:22:04 PM »
early personal success for a new player is getting off the ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2019, 08:30:07 PM »
You're worrying about hypothetical problems that are not likely to manifest and using 'cruel' to mean oppressive. Cruel requires malicious intent. That seems unlikely.  So is the notion that a login will be oppressive.

Cruelty requires intent, unless it is a cruel winter.   Weather doesn’t have intentions. Now, if it is a cruel summer all bets are off.   That only requires Bananarama.   :banana:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 10:19:50 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2019, 08:30:53 PM »
early personal success for a new player is getting off the ground

That borders on miracle status. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #126 on: October 06, 2019, 04:35:21 AM »
Maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't it make more sense to market to people who want a challenge instead of trying to dumb it down to the level of the slowest kid in the class?

I remember back in the 90's when I started playing AW on Genie I saw an add that something to the effect of "Stop playing with yourself" "If you think your that good prove it. I spent a ton of money on a 486 cause my Amiga just didn't have the horsepower so I could prove it. Too bad I'm not nearly as good as I ustabee.

Just my 2cents.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #127 on: October 06, 2019, 07:46:03 AM »
You're wrong. What do you think it being dumbed down?

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #128 on: October 06, 2019, 10:15:46 PM »
You're wrong. What do you think it being dumbed down?

Uh. I was saying the marketing toward people who are playing games that are instant action instant satisfaction and short attention spans.

I was saying that I think it would be a better idea to try to marked to hard core competitors and flight sim fans, people who would want the immersion of a flight sim and not an instant action short attention span arcade game.

Maybe I am wrong, maybe there are no players of this time to market to anymore. I for one have no interest in playing a game that is designed for somebody with the attention span of a goldfish.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #129 on: October 06, 2019, 10:50:17 PM »
Uh. I was saying the marketing toward people who are playing games that are instant action instant satisfaction and short attention spans.

I don't see how giving people useful instruction on how to get up to speed on the game as quickly as possible is dumbing anything down.

Do you think DCS is a kiddie game?  It has a quite extensive new player in-game training system.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2019, 11:25:54 PM »
I saw over 140 on tonight. Was the biggest night I've seen in a while. The smaller more compact maps really bring in the best #s on the weekend. There were tons of fights all over the map tonight.

I think there is still a big chance we can get 180-200 in there with a few adjustments like A. Website front page B. New player control set up, C. More new compact maps.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #131 on: October 06, 2019, 11:26:53 PM »
interactive player training is key here

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2019, 12:21:27 AM »

I was saying that I think it would be a better idea to try to marked to hard core competitors and flight sim fans, people who would want the immersion of a flight sim and not an instant action short attention span arcade game.

Maybe I am wrong, maybe there are no players of this time to market to anymore. I for one have no interest in playing a game that is designed for somebody with the attention span of a goldfish.

As I said you're wrong. Making learning the game easier, to get a boost on the learning curve, doesn't change the game difficulty, it just makes it easier to start. There is nothing about marketing to the easy play demographic, HTC has WO:P for that.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2019, 12:24:10 AM »
As I said you're wrong. Making learning the game easier, to get a boost on the learning curve, doesn't change the game difficulty, it just makes it easier to start. There is nothing about marketing to the easy play demographic, HTC has WO:P for that.

so screw the new guys, right?

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2019, 06:47:29 AM »
At least to get new guys off the ground, have a small tutorial on using the auto takeoff function of just hitting E and turning the throttle to 100% without even touching the stick. Then once off the ground, have notification of raising gear if it isnt done automatically. Allow them to autoclimb and then get the feel of moving around
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women