Author Topic: Thoughts.  (Read 23210 times)

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
Re: Thoughts.
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2019, 07:16:35 AM »
if i might pitch in - add something to a new guy nick name ( * or something ) so that we can tell them. Many times i see a guy doing stupid stuff and don't know if he's a newb - and help him - or simply dumb ;) This way everyone on their side ( or someone killing them ) can tell they are dealing with a newb and help them out.
Also, mic config should be mandatory for a new guy including quick tutorial.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2019, 07:33:17 AM »
Some people will hunt noobs to pad their score.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2019, 09:20:39 AM »
Best help you can get is have someone to teach you basics talking with you in voice - you feel taken care of, and as you are making progress you feel good  and that you have accomplished something.

You have regular bookings with that teacher - you will probably sign up.

Nothing replace someone who help you progress.

That *pilotname is not that bad actually, someone with good knowledge can help out.

I got my first kill in Warbirds 1997, trying to start my engine-  some enemy plane augered 10 feet in front of me.

I could not find the key to start the engine...
Everyone send a "WTG". on text screen
I asked what a "WTG" was, and many replied "LOL" .... (what is  "LOL"?) I did not dare to ask...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 09:26:25 AM by save »
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2019, 09:58:48 AM »
Best help you can get is have someone to teach you basics talking with you in voice - you feel taken care of, and as you are making progress you feel good  and that you have accomplished something.

I don't disagree with that.  The Aces High Training corps is an amazing asset.  However, I don't see it being particularly useful to solve the problem at hand.

1.  I think it is the wrong point in the player life-cycle.  I think personal training is going to be more realistic for new players that have already made the decision to join Aces High, have already decided to commit a serious amount of time to the game and want to get fully up to speed.  65% of new accounts aren't staying 10 minutes.  75% aren't staying 30 min.  I don't see them scheduling personal training before deleting the game.

2.  I just don't think it is scalable.  There are simply not enough trainers on duty 24/7 to handle a significant portion of these new players trying the game. An automated system is needed to try and get these newbies at least wheels up in that 10-30 minutes before they give up.

We've had a trainer corp for over a decade.  I don't think it makes much of a dent in new player acquisition.  It might, if you could get them past the first hour, much less a complete 2-week  trial. 

$0.02.
CptTrips

« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 10:49:02 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2019, 10:05:30 AM »
so screw the new guys, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do you get that? This is all about the new guys. What do you think we're talking about?

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2019, 11:47:59 AM »

Perhaps the scoring system is part of the problem.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2019, 12:00:36 PM »
Perhaps the scoring system is part of the problem.

Would be no much different eve with no score at all.
Players don't do that for points. They do it for the lulz.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2019, 12:15:57 PM »
Would be no much different eve with no score at all.
Players don't do that for points. They do it for the lulz.

How do you come to that conclusion?

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2019, 01:38:41 PM »

It would be no different than now, I don't believe most players would be able to "hunt noobies" most don't now and it's pretty easy to see who's new on the roster.

Because 99% of players who would do that for score, don't have good scores LOL.

Natural instincts are the cause for most of the game play. Regardless of score, people will always vulch you landing. That's just the way it is.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2019, 01:57:19 PM »

Playing AH for over a decade, and experience with other online games, some of which don'T have any kind of score like AH at all.
Even in AH, much fewer pilots care for their score than commonly assumed. Score by itself is only a main motivation for a relatively small number of pilots.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2019, 02:02:42 PM »
I will piggyback on this.  I don't think they hunt noobs specifically for score padding, but they club a lot more baby seals in their streaks than they do vets.  I am sure this is horribly discouraging for those that are not as settled into the game and may not have as much experience to draw upon when confronted with an aggressive pilot in a well flown aircraft.  Most vet pilots will behave differently when they are confronted with pilots that are not noobs.  I say most, as some will be aggressive no matter the circumstance.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2019, 02:24:45 PM »
Even in AH, much fewer pilots care for their score than commonly assumed. Score by itself is only a main motivation for a relatively small number of pilots.

Agree.  Also being one who is in it for the fun and some semblance of reality, it is curious when a gang of 4 to 6 reds are desperately chasing a single green.  It makes one wonder. 

Not sure I could even find my score, and please, don’t anyone tell me how to.🥴

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #147 on: October 07, 2019, 02:47:34 PM »
Where do you get that? This is all about the new guys. What do you think we're talking about?

My bad man, misread yer post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2019, 02:59:21 PM »
Agree.  Also being one who is in it for the fun and some semblance of reality, it is curious when a gang of 4 to 6 reds are desperately chasing a single green.  It makes one wonder. 

Not sure I could even find my score, and please, don’t anyone tell me how to.🥴

The most fun I've had in years was that few days after all-seeing radar when we had free perk planes for a test Hitech was doing.     Score did not matter nor count.    People just flew all out.    It was a BLAST.

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #149 on: October 07, 2019, 03:59:23 PM »
The most fun I've had in years was that few days after all-seeing radar when we had free perk planes for a test Hitech was doing.     Score did not matter nor count.    People just flew all out.    It was a BLAST.
Was this Return of The Claw also?. Or was it another "special"day?.  Yes, that was a FUN day. I dont think i have heard that much giggling and laughing, EVER. I honestly dont remember reading, nor receiving a single negative 200 text or PM. Score meant nothing, and EVERYONE was a HO :devil :rofl % 262s deacking verses my lil Wirby. FUN :rofl
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain