Author Topic: Thoughts.  (Read 23233 times)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Re: Thoughts.
« Reply #165 on: October 07, 2019, 11:28:47 PM »
That's all covered in Hitech's in-game training videos that come in a new install. They're not perfect, but they get most of the job done for a determined player.

You should not have to leave a game to learn a game.
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #166 on: October 08, 2019, 12:15:20 AM »
You should not have to leave a game to learn a game.

You don't, the video's play in the arena message side window while you are in-game. When you move to the next location, by clicking on-line and even off-line, or the hanger, the plane etc. the video follows and the next segment starts. For me, it required a fresh install to see these, but as I said in an earlier post, my login+password did not interfere with seeing the videos.

My biggest complaints with some of the videos are the distraction of the music and engine sounds in the planes while trying to fly and listen at the same time, and the fact that the controller mapping overlay for the Oculus touch disappears. Which control handles gear and which flaps again? A toggle for reactivating the overlay would be useful, along with clarifying not to launch when first entering a plane until the lesson ends.

The video's play in both the standard and VR versions, and they can be disabled with checkboxes or by dismissing the arena message side window.

You've got to hand it to Hitech. He's attempted all the useful ideas presented over the years to capture new players. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean he hasn't listened and acted.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #167 on: October 08, 2019, 07:27:47 AM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 11:07:37 AM by hitech »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #168 on: October 08, 2019, 07:29:29 AM »
Best help you can get is have someone to teach you basics talking with you in voice - you feel taken care of, and as you are making progress you feel good  and that you have accomplished something.

You have regular bookings with that teacher - you will probably sign up.

Nothing replace someone who help you progress.

That *pilotname is not that bad actually, someone with good knowledge can help out.

I got my first kill in Warbirds 1997, trying to start my engine-  some enemy plane augered 10 feet in front of me.

I could not find the key to start the engine...
Everyone send a "WTG". on text screen
I asked what a "WTG" was, and many replied "LOL" .... (what is  "LOL"?) I did not dare to ask...

:rofl
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #169 on: October 08, 2019, 08:06:12 AM »
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 11:08:42 AM by hitech »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #170 on: October 08, 2019, 10:04:38 AM »
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 11:09:18 AM by hitech »

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #171 on: October 10, 2019, 03:15:16 AM »
I am considering requiring a Login ID to do anything in AH including offline play.

I.E. At game start you must log in/create an account.
This would allow me to do things like force training missions on users and track their progress.

I believe almost all games that have an online component now work that way correct?

What are peoples thoughts.

HiTech

HiTech,

My initial thought is why?  What problem or opportunity are you trying to address with this?  You indicate that it would allow you to force training on users and track progress yet in other posts there is mention that the vast majority of people do not stay past the 10 minute mark.  Not a lot of progress to track there!

My 2 cents:

• yes, you should require a login to join the game
  • As a minimum you should be forced to set up basic controls - up, down, fast, slow, fire
  • This forced setup would preferably take place in a simulated environment - as per War Thunder iirc
  • NO controls should be configured by default IMO.  I have reinstalled this game 3 times now and every time I have had a controller mash the fire command and could not find it until I set every control button to 'nothing' then started from scratch

As for other thoughts:

Fighter Ace had a 'noobs' arena where anyone could fly there but only ranks of Major and below could actually fire.  Was good for teaching new guys IMO

Conversion of downloads to staying for even a few hours is the major issue. Do you have statistics on where they go in the time they are here?  MA?  MatchPlay?  With all due respect MatchPlay is terrible and if that is the 10 minutes they are getting then no wonder they leave.  B17's running rings around spitfires is not a good look.

If MA. Can you tell if they even take off?  Do they even select planes or GVs or move bases?  Data is key here.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 03:17:49 AM by FESS67 »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #172 on: October 10, 2019, 09:06:58 AM »
  • NO controls should be configured by default IMO.
Not sure I can agree with that one.

I'd rather see two buttons:

1. Clear all Mappings
  2.  Set all Mappings to Default

95% of the time the basic default mappings would allow someone to at least get up in the air and fly a bit and maybe shoot at something.  I don't think we should give that up over edge cases.  That way they could have at least a little fun before being forced to wade through the labyrinth of control mapping UI.

$0.02,
CptTrips

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #173 on: October 10, 2019, 11:31:34 AM »
HiTech,

<MUNCH>

As for other thoughts:

Fighter Ace had a 'noobs' arena where anyone could fly there but only ranks of Major and below could actually fire.  Was good for teaching new guys IMO

Conversion of downloads to staying for even a few hours is the major issue. Do you have statistics on where they go in the time they are here?  MA?  MatchPlay?  With all due respect MatchPlay is terrible and if that is the 10 minutes they are getting then no wonder they leave.  B17's running rings around spitfires is not a good look.

If MA. Can you tell if they even take off?  Do they even select planes or GVs or move bases?  Data is key here.

Could not agree more, especially the drones.   They're RIDICULOUSLY over modeled.  A new player should have SOME chance of success against a realistic opponent.   (I am not advocating the offline drone merry-go-round.)  This setup isn't even interesting to a vet.    For a new player it's utterly futile.

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #174 on: October 10, 2019, 11:50:10 AM »

I'd rather see two buttons:

1. Clear all Mappings
  2.  Set all Mappings to Default

Been wanting to add #1, and also make a change with another button that only maps default but only one device at a time. Possibly check box so 1 device could also be cleared.
Also how many of you know we ship custom mappings for 161 different devices?

HiTech

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #175 on: October 10, 2019, 12:20:18 PM »
Been wanting to add #1, and also make a change with another button that only maps default but only one device at a time. Possibly check box so 1 device could also be cleared.

HiTech

I didn't remember the exact number, but seeing mentions in perusing past release notes, I gathered it was extensive.

And for the vast majority of players it works well enough to get wheels up and play around.  Then they can optimize and customize to their tastes. 

The clear mappings button would allow Fess67 to quickly achieve what he wanted without forcing that blank slate on everyone else who would have been pretty fine with the device specific defaults.

:salute

« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 12:39:20 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #176 on: October 10, 2019, 12:58:09 PM »

A feature stolen...err I mean taken from Air Warrior.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #177 on: October 10, 2019, 02:43:18 PM »

HiTech

Would it be possible to look at all devices at the same time and see what is currently mapped? 

Edit: Never mind, that's already on the clipboard key commands list.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 02:49:55 PM by FLS »

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #178 on: October 10, 2019, 02:43:55 PM »
I did not read all 12 pages of this thread so maybe this question has been answered already.
Will adding a log in requirement for offline play make the game more secure from hackers?
I noticed that when I travel abroad the main web page and the forum are not accessible.
If it will increase security I'm in.

I love this game.  :)
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #179 on: October 10, 2019, 04:15:29 PM »
I did not read all 12 pages of this thread so maybe this question has been answered already.
Will adding a log in requirement for offline play make the game more secure from hackers?
I noticed that when I travel abroad the main web page and the forum are not accessible.
If it will increase security I'm in.

I love this game.  :)

Where do you travel?

HiTech