Author Topic: Thoughts.  (Read 23245 times)

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
Re: Thoughts.
« Reply #180 on: October 10, 2019, 04:31:26 PM »
Where do you travel?

HiTech

I've had the same issue in parts of Thailand and in Malaysia, although I generally never play the game there but do sometimes like to keep up with things on the Forum, especially upcoming scenarios.  Skuzzy once helped me get through in Malaysia when I had some friends there who were interested in seeing the game.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #181 on: October 10, 2019, 04:38:18 PM »
I've had the same issue in parts of Thailand and in Malaysia, although I generally never play the game there but do sometimes like to keep up with things on the Forum, especially upcoming scenarios.  Skuzzy once helped me get through in Malaysia when I had some friends there who were interested in seeing the game.

He misses seeing my post.......
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #182 on: October 10, 2019, 04:54:28 PM »
Where do you travel?

HiTech

When I go to Kaiser hospital or some local WiFi spots about 1/2 the time it is blocked.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #183 on: October 10, 2019, 05:31:21 PM »
Where do you travel?

HiTech

I was in China back in April and earlier this week I was in Oaxaca, Mexico. I could not see the forum or the main
web page when I used the hotel wifi.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: October 10, 2019, 06:25:46 PM »
I was in China back in April and earlier this week I was in Oaxaca, Mexico. I could not see the forum or the main
web page when I used the hotel wifi.

:salute

If you were on mainland China, then you were behind the Great Firewall of China. It's Censorship with a capitol C.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #185 on: October 10, 2019, 06:35:06 PM »
A feature stolen...err I mean taken from Air Warrior.

A good idea is still a good idea even when it's not your own.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #186 on: October 11, 2019, 12:57:10 AM »
 I also agree the Match Play Arena is a disaster and no use to veteran and new players alike. A lot of them come there. They don’t come back.

The Free For All area should be moved to the old (now inaccessible) furball lake as new players can reference the horizon more easily there. AI should attack one per human player ONLY and not break off or reassign if a new player comes in - this to flexibly support the emergent co-operative gameplay which often begins there.

AI airframes which cannot endure 3G should not be dogfighting. Similarly the AI should be constrained to the same turn and entropy-rates as human players. If a new player sees that, he will assume he is the limit when he cannot match those rates and become disillusioned. Worst I have heard comments that they cheat - which after all is correct, they are endorsed hackers of the flight-model. AI assignments should only make up numbers to always even.

The duelling queues should be removed and replaced with starting ‘gates’ allowing players to choose their opponents. Retain the random-position air-spawns.

Additionally there should be a pan-arena ticker tape, system announcement, live web-feed or other that there are people looking to duel. Right now, checking when you log in notwithstanding there is no way to know beyond logging out of your active arena and looking at the arena splash screen.

ELO should be removed as it was added to support a now abandoned feature and is as counterproductive as the AI - people log in, see a high ELO, they log out.

With the present arena disposition of AH it is unclear where the owner(s) think newer players should go? The empty TA? Steal the Sheep, are they to think AH is a WWI game? Even if they immediately buy a subscription the MA is now almost exclusively populated by highly seasoned vets, grinding out long-established and risk-averse gameplay. That’s only interesting to a small and now an increasingly smaller group…

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #187 on: October 11, 2019, 09:11:32 AM »
Further thoughts: check that your tracking does not contravene data protection regulations in the EU. These apply to EU citizens regardless of where the data is processed and non-compliance invites fines.

Have you additionally thought of making a super compact demo version of Aces High retaining the standard flight model, perhaps with an analogue stall-limiter, a limited plane-set and a super-streamlined controller configuration which would simply run through the primary flight controls (with a graphic) and guns and ask at each step the user to operate that axis. Then have a number of air-spawned starting scenarios with dumbed-down AI fighters and bombers to have a little shoot at and see if they enjoy the flying experience as quickly as possible. Put in a couple of planes from each nation and obviously show off the famous ones which likely draw players by nation such as the P-51D, obviously.

The point being to streamline them into experiencing the flying and shooting with as minimum fuss as possible. Can even add some BFM exercises like that old Nintendo Pilot's Wings game (rings in the sky). Lots of games used to have demos anyway.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #188 on: October 11, 2019, 09:32:19 AM »
Have you additionally thought of making a super compact demo version of Aces High retaining the standard flight model, perhaps with an analogue stall-limiter, a limited plane-set ....

No. Hitech never thought of War Online: Pacific. Great idea.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #189 on: October 11, 2019, 11:03:57 AM »

Meh.

Well said, Shida.  Many extremely valid points, particularly in regard to the Dueling Arena.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: October 11, 2019, 11:11:27 AM »
The match play is a huge problem that is a detriment to the game. I could go on for years about it. The entire arena needs to be scrubbed and completely redone.  It sort of pisses me off really. But I'm just a 15 year AH vet whose experience in AH fighter combat in these types of arenas doesn't really matter. So this will be my last post about it since it will probably not matter.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 11:16:04 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #191 on: October 11, 2019, 11:22:08 AM »
You could make a specific wish in the Wishlist, have only fighters in match play and only one at a time until your ELO reaches a certain level. Keep it polite, skip the posturing, and make a reasonable argument.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #192 on: October 11, 2019, 12:07:59 PM »

Respectfully, I think you've misunderstood.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #193 on: October 11, 2019, 12:13:20 PM »
Where do you travel?

HiTech
Happens to me as well when I'm in SEA on Wifi, if I use my sim card everything works.

Best guess is that proxy connections are currently not allowed into the forum.

A proxy is a connection going from you client, to a intermediate place and that place open up a new connection to the asked destination.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #194 on: October 11, 2019, 12:14:53 PM »
Happens to me as well when I'm in SEA on Wifi, if I use my sim card everything works.

Best guess is that proxy connections are currently not allowed into the forum.

A proxy is a connection going from your client, to a intermediate place and that place open up a new connection to the asked destination.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera