Author Topic: Thoughts.  (Read 23236 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Re: Thoughts.
« Reply #225 on: October 12, 2019, 11:06:53 AM »
I believe WO:P fills the basic position you posited.

Not by a long chalk.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #226 on: October 12, 2019, 12:18:56 PM »
The scope of training is irrelevant when a new user has to log out of the game, go to a website, create an account and then request a time for training. By this point you have lost the attention of the new user. A simple clipboard side panel showing which trainers are online and their status (away, busy, available) and allow for a link to PM a trainer to request training is all that would be needed to fix the accessibility to training.

There is a massive flaw in a new player having to leave the game to learn how to play the game. Once that player has decided to sub than they will most likely look to youtube, google and maybe the forums to further their knowledge but they can't get there if training is not made available, ingame, upfront with as little hassle as possible.

so... .

This whole conversation is not really focused on veteran players or those that have been playing for a while. this all geared towards those that are on their 2 week free trial.

Yes if someone is really lazy they will not find success in any game except those that have the ability to buy improvement (cheat codes). At some point the individual actually has to want to improve. You can't make people what they are not.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #227 on: October 12, 2019, 12:19:27 PM »
Ciaphas you're just repeating your opinion. That's fine but those aren't facts.

Not by a long chalk.

You wrote "Have you additionally thought of making a super compact demo version of Aces High retaining the standard flight model,..." then you added possible features. Hence basically WO:P.  You may understand it differently.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #228 on: October 12, 2019, 12:48:55 PM »
Ciaphas you're just repeating your opinion. That's fine but those aren't facts.

You do that a lot too. Why is it then different?

You wrote "Have you additionally thought of making a super compact demo version of Aces High retaining the standard flight model,..." then you added possible features. Hence basically WO:P.  You may understand it differently.

And exactly as I said WO:P does not have AH's standard flight model - in the first instance - and is not at all what I suggested: a very quick, hassle-free way for a potential customer to experience AH's flight model and gunnery. Is it your position that WO:P has been, and continues to be, a good vector to stream potential players into Aces High?

Additionally my suggestion was not directed at you, nor do I believe any ideas prophered here have to meet with your approval (as you seem to think). You do seem extraordinarily averse to any kind of change. Perhaps you're right and everything should stay exactly as it is. What could possibly be the downside  :)

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #229 on: October 12, 2019, 01:36:12 PM »
Yes if someone is really lazy they will not find success in any game except those that have the ability to buy improvement (cheat codes). At some point the individual actually has to want to improve. You can't make people what they are not.

When someone logs into a game for the first few times, it is reasonable that they expect some sort of in game training to get started. If they can't even get veyond the very beginning stages of this game why would they stick around? Dale has stated that a ton of new accounts stay for something like 20 minutes and then they are never heard from again. coincidence?

Having trainers onboard are there to help ease every aspect of this game. To have them so inaccessible to new members is mind boggling. Yes, they are inaccessible to new members, especially those that buy off of steam and to those that don't want to have a presence on this BBS. As far as cheat code, I don't follow where you are going with that one. I suppose we could put someone out in left field to catch that one.

The fact that this game has a training corps should tell you something about the learning curve and the difficulties in staying above water for new accounts. Until a quick training overlay is accomplished (hands on training overlay) the training corps should step up and bring people up to speed. If you're to busy playing the game and can't be bothered to spend 5 - 10 minutes to spin someone up, should you really be a trainer? I mean it's not as if you are bombarded with training requests as the TA stays empty during the hours that I am online (weekends and some weekday mornings).

If as has been stated "everyone can train" then what is the value added of having a training corps to begin with?

10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #230 on: October 12, 2019, 01:43:22 PM »
You do that a lot too. Why is it then different?

And exactly as I said WO:P does not have AH's standard flight model - in the first instance - and is not at all what I suggested: a very quick, hassle-free way for a potential customer to experience AH's flight model and gunnery. Is it your position that WO:P has been, and continues to be, a good vector to stream potential players into Aces High?

Additionally my suggestion was not directed at you, nor do I believe any ideas prophered here have to meet with your approval (as you seem to think). You do seem extraordinarily averse to any kind of change. Perhaps you're right and everything should stay exactly as it is. What could possibly be the downside  :)

Look at you projecting, getting defensive, making it personal again, as usual, and throwing in a little straw man to show us how clever you are. You can't just exchange ideas like a normal person. We have been discussing changes. I have never said everything should stay the same but you feel compelled to lie about that.  I just don't accept everything that pops into someone's head as a good idea.

WO:P has the AH flight model with different settings. 

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #231 on: October 12, 2019, 02:56:12 PM »
Look at you projecting, getting defensive, making it personal again, as usual, and throwing in a little straw man to show us how clever you are.

You might be right. No doubt you have your Ladybird Book of Online Psychology open on your desk as we speak. Who am I to argue? Oh well we all have our little foibles. At least I occasionally try to shake this place out of its endemic sleepiness which borders on self-destructive apathy.

You can't just exchange ideas like a normal person.

Normal I leave to other people and personally think it's a bit over-rated. It’s getting late in the day to idly discuss changes and at great length. What duration do you figure AH has left as a commercially viable entity at it’s present rate of decay? You're the official (only?) trainer. Tell us, how many new students have you had in the last six months? 24, 12, 6?

I just don't accept everything that pops into someone's head as a good idea.

Actually you don’t seem to accept anything as a good idea. You don't even seem to take any time to consider them, ask for more detail or frankly understand them either. You’re fully on a roll in this thread - the last several pages at least - trying to restore the status quo as fast as possible. The TA is fine, the scheduling for training is fine. Time has passed, for reasserting that what has worked will continue to work. A conservative approach is applicable in a stable environment. AH is in a flat spin.

There is no vector for new players. No new players = death of the game. How can you be so blind to this?

WO:P has the AH flight model with different settings.

Exactly the same, but different? Gosh FLS, that is tremendously expedient of you.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #232 on: October 12, 2019, 03:10:50 PM »
I am considering requiring a Login ID to do anything in AH including offline play.

I.E. At game start you must log in/create an account.
This would allow me to do things like force training missions on users and track their progress.

I believe almost all games that have an online component now work that way correct?

What are peoples thoughts.

HiTech

@FLS & nrshida:
Why don't you take your little pissing match elsewhere?  It has nothing to do with the OP.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #233 on: October 12, 2019, 03:51:14 PM »
You guys act like the MA is something to be disired, like it used to be.

Fix the matchplay arena
Delete field resupply, and score manned guns as something that matters
Add a free planeset
Adjust ENY

Problem solved.

Forgot to add.. 3 countries is perfect for 500plus players.. it will kill this game with 200 maxxx logging in nightly
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 04:39:44 PM by Lazerr »

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #234 on: October 12, 2019, 04:52:08 PM »
 :airplane:|>---<|=i agree that is the best solution. When I started this game the hardest part was learning how to set up controls, views and VOX. It took me at least three months of playing in the training arena to learn how to get things set in a way that worked. How to get the VOX set up and how each channel worked. I had no clue who i was talking to, while now it seems really simple, to a newbie it was a bit overwhelming. Instruction on the set up of each portion of the game is needed to get a newbie started. So a first time log in person should at least be directed to a section that helps them get set up, then maybe one month free after they have the game set up. If they stay a month they are most likely going to be hooked. Oh and make it easy for a newbie to jump in and ride with someone, I know it is available now but make it available on log in to a newb so they can see the action without getting slaughtered as a new player.

Agreed.  But guiding the noobs through joystick setup, plane selection and load-out, auto takeoff, and how to do a lead turn wouldn't take too long.  Then a quick video of someone doing that, and a link to the help section. 

- oldman
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 05:02:53 PM by rvflyer »
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #235 on: October 12, 2019, 05:18:49 PM »
Exactly the same, but different? Gosh FLS, that is tremendously expedient of you.

Nobody said "exactly the same". That's just you, lacking a point, so you lie. Again.

It's the same flight model, anyone looking at arena settings can see there are adjustable options.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #236 on: October 12, 2019, 06:18:47 PM »

I read the AH training academy thread almost 10 years ago, it assumes people want to go to school. I think most players want training to be more fun, less structured.

While the course was structured, the training was fun and engaging.  I went through it myself.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #237 on: October 12, 2019, 06:24:34 PM »
The existing player base is diluted.   Big maps.  Multiple arenas.    Three sides.  Whatever you want to call it.   It simply does not create momentum in the right direction. 

That's the alligator closest to the boat.   Period.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #238 on: October 12, 2019, 06:36:17 PM »
While the course was structured, the training was fun and engaging.  I went through it myself.

I think it's a great way to learn but I don't think it's the solution to retaining more new players.  :aok

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #239 on: October 12, 2019, 06:39:45 PM »
The existing player base is diluted.   Big maps.  Multiple arenas.    Three sides.  Whatever you want to call it.   It simply does not create momentum in the right direction. 

That's the alligator closest to the boat.   Period.

The best thing we can do as players is get one new person to join and play nice with people.