Author Topic: Thoughts.  (Read 23249 times)

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
Re: Thoughts.
« Reply #240 on: October 12, 2019, 06:48:11 PM »
I see some people suggesting WoWP as similar to AH. This is true only in a topical sense, but targets a vastly different player base.

It is an arcade game, much like Ace Combat, with slightly different mechanics and a different coat of paint, but fundamentally the same core idea.

Aces High has more in common with simulators, strategy games such as HoI and certain MMO's such as Star Citizen and EVE.

Whereas the former is primarily composed of the after-work-warriors who log on for a few hours, stoned as hell, or becoming progressively more drunk, as part of their unwinding. It is played as supplement to, or in place of, CoD, Battlefield, etc.

The latter is more of the nitty gritty types, and despite a lack of mechanical or topical similarity, seems to have significant overlap in player base.

Hell literally the only other time I've heard AH even mentioned by another in-person person was through a conversation about Star Citizen and EVE.

WoT and WoWP players don't know who we are. Star Citizen players do. HoI players do. EVE players do.

From what I've gathered, many are former players.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #241 on: October 12, 2019, 06:58:10 PM »
While the course was structured, the training was fun and engaging.  I went through it myself.

HiTech when he played AW and helped/worked for AW (can't remember what he created? maybe the film viewer?<scratches head> was aware of the AWTA and WB's Training and AW's Training was basically identical with the Informal Scheduled Training times , 3 times a day in AW 3PM to 5 PM EST / 7PM to 9PM EST/ 11PM to 1AM EST daily during the week and on Saturdays 9 AM to 11AM EST... and we put on clinics and there was a Winter 1995 Lecture Series of the Trainers giving Lectures on different topics, then again in 2000 the 2000 AW Spring Lecture Series, which was held on the gamestorm whiteboard w/ Slides Lounge ( man times had chnged in those short 5 years, it went from  95 was on a bbs, similae to mIRC text chat, to having actual diagrams, pics, Slides, etc and a Stage and audience )

HiTech knows that training is important, is why he had asked for it right after AH went live in 2000.... and is why he wants to force training to new players to log the sucess of it.... I think HT is on the right track..... no pun intended toward FLS, but the Trainer ( any Trainer ) has to be commited to the program, like a Training Academy to see it through....similar to like going through Boot camp or trying out for any tpe of Sports where you get cut if you don't make the grade....many people drop out of Boot camp in all Branches of service because they aren't able to withstand the training.....only thing is in Aces high, it wouldn't be that harsh, because the idea is to get everyone to pass the course

As for being an Instructor, teacher, trainer, etc... it takes a certian type of person to be able to pass along what needs to be learned in a manner that all others can understand it, because everyone is different, and it is up to that Instructor/teacher/Trainer to pick up on that which is working or not and make the necessary adjustments or change in the way they are presenting and teaching the material..so that each and every student understands and accomplishes the goal....

I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know AKAK

TC

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #242 on: October 12, 2019, 07:10:47 PM »
I see some people suggesting WoWP as similar to AH.

War Online:Pacific is HTC's other game. I call it WO:P. Sorry for any confusion.  :salute

If you haven't tried it give it a shot, it's free and fun.  https://www.waronline.com/

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #243 on: October 12, 2019, 07:11:11 PM »
Thinking about the posts postulating why new guy do not stay.  Here are another 2 that I could never get my head around.

• Default FOV at 90.  I recommend you try it for a while.  It is virtually impossible to compete.  Imagine how it must be like for a new guy.
  • Throttle will not work on first launch.  You have to pull back on the throttle first then it works.  Again, the first impression is 'my controller does not work"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #244 on: October 12, 2019, 07:35:52 PM »
If the default view is wider the complaint is that the other planes are too small and you can't read the instruments.

The solution is make it adjustable. You may disagree about the optimal setting.  The default was 80 for a bit. I used to like 120. I can fly with 90 but 80 felt cramped.

I never noticed a throttle problem. Maybe because I pull the throttle back to start the engine.

I think the new player's reaction will be to try the throttle again. That seems like pretty normal behavior, for example people clicking repeatedly on something as it continues to not respond.

If they just set up their throttle they should be all set. The next time they try it if it doesn't work they'll remember it worked before. What will they do next? Move it one more time or log off?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 07:42:01 PM by FLS »

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #245 on: October 12, 2019, 07:43:04 PM »

I think the new player's reaction will be to try the throttle again. That seems like pretty normal behavior, for example people clicking repeatedly on something as it continues to not respond.

You are correct, that is likely the reaction.  HOWEVER, the first impression is 'it does not work'  First impressions are golden.  Make enough 'it is broke' impressions in the first 10 minutes and yes, they will simply log off and not come back.  I am not saying that is the root cause however what we do know is they are only lasting 10 minutes.  Maybe, just maybe things like this are not helping.

<addition to post>  I logged on last night to have a look.  I am greeted with a dark view of the tower, then the screen turns white, hangs for a second or 2 and then the clipboard appears with some information about an event.  Horrible horrible introduction to a game.  It just looks so bad.  My first impression of the game is that it is clunky and unfinished.  We know that is not the case however that is the impression.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 07:47:48 PM by FESS67 »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #246 on: October 12, 2019, 08:37:14 PM »
My experience is different. The game loads fast and looks good. That may be why we have different opinions.  :aok

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #247 on: October 12, 2019, 08:40:02 PM »
The best thing we can do as players is get one new person to join and play nice with people.

Tried and failed.   

My own brother even.    He's over at War Blunder and won't come back here.   

Hitech is going to have to make some changes to generate enough action to make the people we manage to bring stick around.  You're asking people to board a ship that's taking on water.   We need to stop the leaks first.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #248 on: October 12, 2019, 08:41:07 PM »
My experience is different. The game loads fast and looks good. That may be why we have different opinions.  :aok

Your atypical experience deludes you.  Sorry.   
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #249 on: October 12, 2019, 08:43:33 PM »
Thinking about the posts postulating why new guy do not stay.  Here are another 2 that I could never get my head around.

• Default FOV at 90.  I recommend you try it for a while.  It is virtually impossible to compete.  Imagine how it must be like for a new guy.
  • Throttle will not work on first launch.  You have to pull back on the throttle first then it works.  Again, the first impression is 'my controller does not work"

I agree the latter was not a good change.    Throttle should slave to its actual position if anything (other than full like before, which was fine).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 09:08:38 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #250 on: October 12, 2019, 08:58:09 PM »
Your atypical experience deludes you.  Sorry.

I'll just take a wild guess that your experience is the correct one.  :D

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #251 on: October 12, 2019, 09:07:23 PM »
I'll just take a wild guess that your experience is the correct one.  :D

Correct has nothing to do with it.   The word you must learn is TYPICAL.   

The fact is you see nothing but butterflies and rainbows.    Others see nothing but doom and gloom.    The average new player lands somewhere between those two perspectives.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #252 on: October 12, 2019, 10:10:17 PM »
Rule 4
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 10:23:00 PM by hitech »
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #253 on: October 12, 2019, 10:14:46 PM »
Rule 4
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 10:23:29 PM by hitech »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #254 on: October 12, 2019, 10:16:59 PM »
Rule 4
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 10:23:51 PM by hitech »