Author Topic: Fighter bowl to replace match play  (Read 1780 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Fighter bowl to replace match play
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2019, 04:13:57 PM »
You will effectively get something similar if Hitech sets air bases in fighter town on MA terrains to uncapturable. For some reason people use the small feilds in the center of ndisles while they just capture the ones on Oceania eliminating using them for quick furball action. Same thing with my terrains with tank furball areas set close together in the center. They turn into free lunch easy mode capture fields that no one wants to defend.

Fjordma is the closest to getting the maximum numbers of tank and aircraft furballers from two countries into one spot at any given time. It's also one of the fastest to flip maps I've made, it just doesn't stay around for very long. Very few people want to pure furball in the MA anymore. Most want to be part of a group initiative against a field where fighter combat is a consequence and not the whole reason for going there. And tank combat on fjordma speaks for itself with the three way spawns at most of the feilds.

Furballing in the MA at close set fighter town style airbases is much like room clearing in PS2. Not everyone likes it becasue it ends up being dominated by a few individuals no matter how it's approached. You will get about an hour of frenetic combat, then everyone trades unworkable ACM for alt and high speed picking to stay out of the tower. There is a limit to how many times most will invest into being easy targets for a few when they can do something else in the MA for their $14.95 that ends up with them winning at something. That is what ACM players have been beating their heads against since 2009 and the gradual fewer numbers in the game. Most customers are not that good at ACM and don't want to be your target all night long. I've built it and they don't come just becasue it's there for quick furballing. Now for tankers, the three way close spawns on fjordma seems to be what they need to have big tank furballs.

Odds are if Hitech could guarantee a fighter town scenario was only populated by the ACM illiterate with limited skill sets. The place would have regular customers. Heck, do you ACM monsters realize you can't even get each other to populate a furball arena of only yourselves? If furballing and ACM was really the goal, you guys would have a near permanent custom arena going blowing each others brains out 7 days a week. You want "Hitech to give you targets" some way some how........
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 01:14:36 PM »
It has to be outside of the MA.

Furball island takes away from the point of the MA. People fighting in the MA should be focused on the war. Players like me like to furball, but its actually doing something for their team if its furballing for defense or to help your team attack a base. Furball islands do nothing for the war strategy of the game. Now what I think works better is for 3 teams to meet in the middle or somewhere so that all sides can fight against each other. This is similar to a furball island but not as pronounced. I feel when one team is left out of the battle, that's when #s get really low for that side. When one side can reach the big fight on the other side of the river, this allows those fighters to be able to find action. I've noticed that most players just don't like to spend 15 minutes to attack a base only, die, rinse and repeat. They need 4-5 players to fight against while they are attacking a base. I still maintain that the majority of people who try/play AH want fighter combat. When it takes too long to find that, or there is no fight on their side, they will log off.

Making a fighter bowl outside of the MA reduces alt monkey vets in temps and 262s, gives people a place other than the MA to goof around that's non scored, and would be more beneficial for new players to learn how to fight at a quicker pace. Its something to relieve the pressure of the big MA and creates something a little more simple for new players to quickly find fighter combat. Yes, good vets would go in there from time to time, but generally most of them would stay in the MA. Everyone is at a different level anyway, so it would all balance out. It would offer a better opportunity for vets to teach new guys in this arena they are fighting. In the big MA, there is not, if any, communication with new guys and it's not as personal. You kill the red guy and go. In a fighter bowl, vets will reach out much easier and be able to help guys they are fighting.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 01:18:38 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 02:18:15 PM »
What Violator is describing reminds me of the "Fighter Town Arena" we had back in AirWarrior

Very simple, 3 bases (1 per country) nothing capturable and no GV's

Used to play hours on end in that arena against DOK, SM (Snowman), Hlywd, Kappa, Wrway, Fool, Chick and a crap load of others

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 03:54:17 PM »
And none of the ACM monsters telling Hitech he has to make something for them has built a three field tiny map and posted it up in the custom arena area so they all can furball 24x7 with each other. Hitech put in place with AH3 so many functions they can leverage for this and that is what his reply in this post show cased. They want Hitech to keep throwing their oatmeal against his walls until something sticks. They don't want to do it themselves.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 07:58:59 PM »
What Violator is describing reminds me of the "Fighter Town Arena" we had back in AirWarrior

Very simple, 3 bases (1 per country) nothing capturable and no GV's

Used to play hours on end in that arena against DOK, SM (Snowman), Hlywd, Kappa, Wrway, Fool, Chick and a crap load of others

TC

Yes, something very similar, though I feel everyone on the same side fighting creates more balanced fights and airspawns would make it faster paced.

And none of the ACM monsters telling Hitech he has to make something for them has built a three field tiny map and posted it up in the custom arena area so they all can furball 24x7 with each other. Hitech put in place with AH3 so many functions they can leverage for this and that is what his reply in this post show cased. They want Hitech to keep throwing their oatmeal against his walls until something sticks. They don't want to do it themselves.

Bustr, quit being condescending. can you leave your computer on all day long while you are at work and all night while you are sleeping so the arena stays up?

A fighter bowl with no fields and airspawns seems a lot more simple to make by the game creator. Who also has the means to keep the arena up every hour of the day.

I can guarantee 98% of the community hasn't the faintest idea how to set up arena settings. Let's get them in some fighter action first.

I would love to join FFA arenas like the old H2H. Perhaps keeping H2H separate was the key. I really don't know why people aren't creating custom arenas. Perhaps they would rather just play the game. But when they go into the MA and get tired of flying for 10 minutes to fight 2 people at the same time and die instantly. They have no where else to go to let off some steam for some quick fighting action. They will log instead.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 08:02:43 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 08:57:39 PM »
The match play arena has the old 3 way fighter bowl from the old da arena i think. The real issue with it is getting the critical mass of people to log in and keep the numbers high enough so that when other people arrive to the arena menu they have something to choose from that's worth their time.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2019, 08:48:41 AM »
The match play arena has the old 3 way fighter bowl from the old da arena i think. The real issue with it is getting the critical mass of people to log in and keep the numbers high enough so that when other people arrive to the arena menu they have something to choose from that's worth their time.

That 3 way fighter bowl would be better by itself in its own arena, which is what I am trying to get at though with a few changes. The match play use to have 5-20 on average in there until the water depth perception made it too hard to fly. Then after all the other stuff was added, it just made it too complex. We are on the right track with air spawns, now we just need a more simplistic arena for quick fighting action. I guarantee it would have about 5-20 players in there at all times. 2-4 players in all fighting against each other would be really fun. People like these kind of fighter bowls, it's just that the match play no longer provides that and has gone away from it's intended purposes.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-