Author Topic: Fighter bowl to replace match play  (Read 1769 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Fighter bowl to replace match play
« on: October 11, 2019, 05:39:48 PM »
Alright. I'm going to try to make this quick and easy since I don't have a lot of time.

Why a fighter bowl?
In an effort to not copy other games and their team death match style arenas. While a team death match style would be cool, fighter bowls are much easier to manage and keep it all in one spot. Free fighting is where it's at.

1. First you have a fighter bowl about 1 sector big with a nice awesome terrain. (Water is too bland, a nice graphic scenery shows the awesome graphics.) That is the only thing on the entire map. Sorta similar to the Koth Map. You could add some barriers inside for the sake of making it harder to be-line right to a fight.

2. Make all sides the same team. This reduces ganging and allows all players to fight against each other. Create about 4-5 fields so players can land if need to. Though landing shouldnt be a priority. Perhaps don't even have bases in order to reduce players vulching others landing.

3. No score, but player stats are okay. No point in scoring in this arena. It's designed for fun quick combat, not score competition.

4. Air spawn take offs only at 3K. This will reduce ganging and reduce the new players getting E jumped on take off. Too high air spawns create a dogpile effect.

5. All perk planes are off limits. This would keep it fairly fair. Don't need a bunch of temps and 262s all over the place.

6. Add arena message stating obvious rules. Encourage people to report if there is abuse.

7. Make it free for 2 months, something like that. Give them a chance to understand the mechanics of the game. Then they will be more willing to join the MA.

Thats pretty much it. No crazy coding needed. It's easy and simple to see where the action is. Players hop in and go. Just a simple place to let loose, screw around, get into quick fights and learn what the planes can do fighting other people.

You could make one for noobs only aswell that funnels players into this arena after their initial setup tutorials.

What do yall think? It's something I think that would be great for AH.

Then youd make a DA arena that is completely separate that is only geared toward team fights and 1v1. You could also be able to choose your team and who you want to fight against. Right now you cannot choose teams in match play, 1v1s constantly get interupted. No one can see where the fight is or what is going on, the AI is too much, it's just too complex.

Please take this into consideration Mr. hitech.

Thank you.

Violator
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Fighter bowl to replace match play
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 09:43:34 PM »
Sounds a lot like MNM. I like it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 10:41:23 PM »
Adjusting match play would be easier than a new arena.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 02:12:42 AM »
To be honest, I have never even been in match play. Just heard it was terrible from most everyone who ever tried it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 08:37:42 AM »
To be honest, I have never even been in match play. Just heard it was terrible from most everyone who ever tried it.

Ive been in MPA and it is not as bad as others say it is!

It just needs some fine tuning, especially with being able to pick who you are fighting , and when 2vs2/4vs4 etc, need a way for the teams to pair up properly.... I've done posted an example in another wish list thread of how it should be

I don't care for or see a need for AI in the MPA

Just some thoughts

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 08:54:44 AM »
Too bad the DA was taken away. It is what the match play is supposed to be. It was not broken and they fixed it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 11:47:45 AM »
Too bad the DA was taken away. It is what the match play is supposed to be. It was not broken and they fixed it.

The dueling terrain is still on the server if anyone wants to use it in a H2H player arena.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 12:31:34 PM »
Sounds a lot like MNM. I like it.

It would be very similar to AvA except youd have mostly all of the planes and everyone would be on the same side to reduce ganging. Then there would be air spawns to make it easier to jump into the action.

Adjusting match play would be easier than a new arena.

My issue with the match play is that it should only be for team or 1v1 dueling, it should be the DA arena only. It would be a decent map for that. But free fight quick action furballing isn't working because noob players get confused on where to go, where to click, and how to jump into the fight. Even if there were 10 players in the match play, the user still wouldn't really know what to do or where to go, it seems too complex. With the AI they just jump you, no clue who you are fighting. Really nothing a noob can do. Most noobs want to fight online players anyway. 

With a fighter bowl, it's right there in the center, it's the only place to fight. Click NE or SE and it airspawns you and you are in the fight. Would be a lot more simple than a map with 25 bases. These new guys have to start out small in an arena they can easily understand and find the action. 10 players in a fighter bowl would appear to be much bigger than 10 players in the match play arena.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 01:14:40 PM »
TBH: I like the match play arena from a dueling arena perspective. I like the air spawns going into the duel. (this reduces E grabbing off the base and time) I think if it was fixed to allow people to chose their teams and where to duel, it would make it much better and more people would use it.

But a quick fight area should be a totally separate arena, which is why I am making this wish.  We need an arena like this that will stay up for 24 hours, part of the big issue I believe with the custom arena. While custom arenas are a great idea, no one is making them and leaving their computers on all or day, or have another computer playing as a different account to play in the MA. Generally, people use the match play arena for FFAs, which is a terrible idea because the map is too big, the AvA arena is really the better arena for FFA. I wish more people would do this, but I can't force them to. Wish I could do it, but I'm not there in my life yet to be able to have the time. The void needs to be filled. New players in the MA have a very hard time just because of fight distance and map reading understanding. Close action fighting really helps these guys. AH really needs a good small arena to relieve MA pressure.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 06:29:21 PM »
We never climbed. Duked it out on the deck.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 12:37:02 PM »
The old DA was insanely fun!
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 01:09:12 PM »
The old DA was insanely fun!

We would visit in Paris or sometimes groups. Was enjoyable. Then there was the canyon.

Reminds me of the time we (80th) met the muppets off map in the MA in buffs to dogfight. That was a hoot and a half.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 11:30:24 AM »
Most of what you ask for is already written, is simply a configuration change.

Things that would be very difficult are.

1. Pick where you dual/match.

2. Adding fields , other then for landing and exiting. Completely conflicts with your other goals.

3. Making all sides the same team makes match with 2 v 2 4 v 4 ext, very difficult. But we can already set kill shooter on a per match queue type.
Settings the are avalible on a per queue setting.
      "Queue Enabled",
      "ELO Scoring Enabled",
      "Touch ground death",
      "Death Match",
      "Auto Launch Match",
      "Launch All In Queue",
      "Spawn In Circle",
      "War Cash Awarded",
      "Spawn Users Country",
      "Easy Mode Only",
      "Real Mode Only",
      "Lead Sight Enabled",
      "Kill Shooter Disable",
      "Ai Enabled",
      "Kill Race",
      "Auto Repeat",
      "Can Join In Progress",
      "Free For All",
      "Balance Sides",
      "Drones Score ELO",

"Disable Blackouts",

4. Stating rules would be a disaster and just create headaches.

Match play is already completely free.

HiTech

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 07:56:14 PM »
Most of what you ask for is already written, is simply a configuration change.

Things that would be very difficult are.

1. Pick where you dual/match.

2. Adding fields , other then for landing and exiting. Completely conflicts with your other goals.

3. Making all sides the same team makes match with 2 v 2 4 v 4 ext, very difficult. But we can already set kill shooter on a per match queue type.
Settings the are avalible on a per queue setting.
      "Queue Enabled",
      "ELO Scoring Enabled",
      "Touch ground death",
      "Death Match",
      "Auto Launch Match",
      "Launch All In Queue",
      "Spawn In Circle",
      "War Cash Awarded",
      "Spawn Users Country",
      "Easy Mode Only",
      "Real Mode Only",
      "Lead Sight Enabled",
      "Kill Shooter Disable",
      "Ai Enabled",
      "Kill Race",
      "Auto Repeat",
      "Can Join In Progress",
      "Free For All",
      "Balance Sides",
      "Drones Score ELO",

"Disable Blackouts",

4. Stating rules would be a disaster and just create headaches.

Match play is already completely free.

HiTech

Hitech thanks for your response.

Generally, when I come up with ideas, it is using things already coaded into the game to avoid the challenge of coading.

1. Pick where to duel.
             Yes, that would need coading. Though if it's on the match play, it wouldn't be a big deal to not pick where you wanted. Just thought it would be a good feature.

2. Adding fields.
     Yeah in a fighter bowl arena, bases are not necessary. Could probably just take out landing all together. Just make it so they could only end flight by ditching or crashing. It wouldn't be a big deal. Landing kills shouldn't be a priority.

3. Making all fields the same team.
   This is one reason why I think having a fighter bowl separate from the Match play arena would work out better.  The match play arena is geared toward dueling and match play only. The fighter bowl is geared toward quick action fighting only. It would make it a lot more simplistic for people to only see a bowl on the map where it's the only place people can go. Everyone fighting against and communicating with each other on the same side, makes it a lot easier for a small group of people to have consistent fights.

4. Perhaps you are right about rules. Use arena message for mostly used .dot commands, special events coming up, new skins people made, news, ECT.. it will make them very interested.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 08:25:25 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 12:24:16 PM »
I like this idea. The biggest limitation would be finding folks  interested in playing when there aren't that many in the MA to begin with. That's why I think having central fightertown/tanktown fight in the middle of the maps are still a good thing for the game. Walled off with 30k mountains and 3k airspawns would be cool!