Author Topic: Climate change  (Read 18235 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Climate change
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2019, 05:24:51 PM »
So what ur saying is wearing surgeons masks is normal in China?

What I'm saying is you seem confused that pollution could be a concern and a driving force for change.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2019, 05:29:25 PM »
However, the Pentagon considers it the greatest threat. Go figure.  :O

They changed their mind in 2016 for some reason.

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2019, 05:35:56 PM »
Spirited Conversation, I like it!  :aok

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2019, 05:37:01 PM »
Spirited Conversation, I like it!  :aok

At least its not spirally down to name calling  :D
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2019, 05:37:26 PM »

Hey Arlo, how many trillions did the "never before Audited' Pentagon lose again?
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2019, 05:42:09 PM »
What I'm saying is you seem confused that pollution could be a concern and a driving force for change.

Oh and btw... u really think that we puny humans can make a world wide difference?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2019, 05:51:27 PM »
Oh and btw... u really think that we puny humans can make a world wide difference?

We have in several ways (not just emissions). And it's the difference part that many seem to have trouble grasping. Our global ecosystem has always been a balancing act. Too much of one thing or another throws it out of whack. Learning this and reducing the amount of a negative quantity isn't the crisis. Refusing to can be.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2019, 05:51:50 PM »
I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop and they force all of the US to get that new "Federal I.D" in that law they passed back in like 2005.... It is dated to happen next year 2020 like 1st of October, iirc.....

Pentagon / a certain president closed down a whole lot of military bases......the purpose to was to use them as FEMA camps.... I read it as places to hold people that don't go along with the status quo....

It is going to get worse, draughts, famine, death and destruction....some will make it and some want

But it is coming, .....like a snowball rolling down hill, headed for hell.......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2019, 06:24:54 PM »
We have in several ways (not just emissions). And it's the difference part that many seem to have trouble grasping. Our global ecosystem has always been a balancing act. Too much of one thing or another throws it out of whack. Learning this and reducing the amount of a negative quantity isn't the crisis. Refusing to can be.

First, u must be a lawyer wanna be because ur use of "can be" is typical lawyer speak (reference all the lawyer commercials  :rofl
Second, have u ever been taught the FACT that the earth has a wobble (every 13-26 thousand yrs I believe) but it has also been shown
            that wobble deviates (reference the mini ice age in the late 1800s through the early 1900s)
Third, in ur opinion, what is to be done with people, animals and every living thing that passes methane (farts) and how would the powers that be
         do to alleviate that short of population control, destroying most (if not all) animals without destroying the ecosystem
Fourth, I'm sorry but people complain about the supposed "global catastrophe but it has happened before and it will happen again... get used to the idea  :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 06:33:24 PM by Ramesis »

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2019, 06:48:22 PM »

It is going to get worse, draughts, famine, death and destruction....some will make it and some want

But it is coming, .....like a snowball rolling down hill, headed for hell.......

TC my personal view is that Climate Change is not the problem, it is the solution.

There is simply too many people on the planet.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2019, 06:54:18 PM »
First, u must be a lawyer wanna be because ur use of "can be" is typical lawyer speak (reference all the lawyer commercials  :rofl
Second, have u ever been taught the FACT that the earth has a wobble (every 13-26 thousand yrs I believe) but it has also been shown
            that wobble deviates (reference the mini ice age in the late 1800s through the early 1900s)
Third, in ur opinion, what is to be done with people, animals and every living thing that passes methane (farts) and how would the powers that be
         do to alleviate that short of population control, destroying most (if not all) animals without destroying the ecosystem
Fourth, I'm sorry but people complain about the supposed "global catastrophe but it has happened before and it will happen again... get used to the idea  :cheers:

No, my wife is more akin to being a lawyer wanna be. I'm the historian wanna be. Neither of which relates to this subject or your and my part in it.

Yes, I've had basic astronomy class. That too has little bearing on man's effect on the ecosystem.

As to your third 'point', what part of equilibrium and balance is hard? You come off as a rather 'black and white' or actually 'all or nothing guy, in that regard. Yes, animals produce methane. It's one of several factors in our ecosystem. Rational solutions offered, to date, do not include killing all methane producing animals on the planet.

Finally, your fourth 'point' isn't actually a point, offing nothing more than a hollow opinion on the entire existence of Earth and a 'we'll be wrong about the end til the end happens' mindset, in general.  :cool:

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2019, 07:03:38 PM »
TC my personal view is that Climate Change is not the problem, it is the solution.

There is simply too many people on the planet.

My use of the words draughts and famine death and destruction were in Biblical reference......

Famine and draughts is referring that people will be starving for the truth but are unable to find it because man has lead them all down a false path

Death and destruction comes from the Almighty, using brimstone that weighs talons (80 to 120 lbs) and 100 pound Hailstones destroying those who walked the wrong path

Edit: when FLS posted that poem by Robert Frost, I was going to post this and ask FLS if he knew where Robert Frost was drawing his reference from for Fire and Ice.....heh

Hope this post don't lock this thread

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 07:10:51 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2019, 08:03:32 PM »
None of this is particularly controversial.

Here's a good book that I highly recommend:  A Short History of Nearly Everything, by Bryson.  It is highly entertaining and informative overall.  (It's great as an audio book, read by the author, who is hilarious.)  One of the things it shows is the history of the development of scientific knowledge.

People think that science is very lofty and not subject to factional infighting, where the factions use all the dirty tricks of media or government (propaganda, calling in favors to unfairly support allies and lock out or censor opposing ideas, smears, misleading statements to drum up public and governmental support, whipping up hysteria, etc.).  In fact, the history of science is full of such things.

The field of global warming is no different. 

The whole field of global warming might end up being one of the many scientific fads in history that ended up being 100% hokum; or it might not.  But no one is going to know which -- not even the experts -- because the models behind it are nearly completely useless.  You cannot have models with a thousand adjustable parameters that are meaningful for anything complex (like the climate).  You end up fitting the past and finding zero predictive value.

CO2 currently is near a minimum for the history of our planet.  The only time it was near this low was part of the Carboniferous Period and part of the Permian Period.  It was many times higher during the others including the Triassic (dinosaurs), Jurassic (dinosaurs), Cretaceous (mammals), and Peleogene (primates).

Our planet has had periodic ice ages.  Maybe more CO2 in the atmosphere will delay or reduce a next ice age -- there's about as much evidence for that as global warming.  If so, because an ice age would wipe out most humans and other species, maybe it is a blessing that mankind increases CO2 a little (although we ourselves will never add enough to get us to the Triassic, Jurassic, or Cretaceous.  Also, plants grow better with more CO2 in the air.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 08:06:43 PM by Brooke »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2019, 08:19:10 PM »
However, the Pentagon considers it the greatest threat. Go figure.  :O

Stuff like that happens from time to time.  In the 1970's, it was grave concern that an ice age was imminent.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 08:21:42 PM by Brooke »