Author Topic: limit eny when we have low players  (Read 13566 times)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
Re: limit eny when we have low players
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2019, 02:19:08 PM »
Bull, You complain because you do not like how it effects the way you wish to fly.

I accept that.  I would prefer finding ways to include everyone rather than a mechanism which seeks to exclude.

You also fail to take into account that more targets would log off if ENY did not exist. How do I know this, because I saw the consequence of not having ENY.

My contention is that the conditions which existed then do not exist to the same extent now and therefore asking for an amendment to the mechanism of ENY is perfectly normal.

You guys are whispering compared to the grumbling that was happening before side balancing was implemented.

Perhaps it sounds like a whisper to you but to us it is just as loud as it was for those complaining back then.  If you are making a correlation between the volume of complaints then and now you really need to look at the number of active participants both in game and on the BBS. 

Fewer complaining now is simply a reflection of numbers.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2019, 02:34:55 PM »
I accept that. I would prefer finding ways to include everyone rather than a mechanism which seeks to exclude.

It's a mechanism that seeks to balance, as was clearly stated many times, it's the least damaging solution so far.

Everybody would prefer a better solution. No need to proclaim what is obvious.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2019, 02:52:24 PM »
Thanks for a real reply.
I accept that.  I would prefer finding ways to include everyone rather than a mechanism which seeks to exclude.
Mine also. If you come up with a different proposal that I believe would work i'm all ears.

My contention is that the conditions which existed then do not exist to the same extent now and therefore asking for an amendment to the mechanism of ENY is perfectly normal.

What exactly do you believe is different now verses when it was implemented? ENY was implemented long before HTC had a growth spurt. If my memory is correct we had about the same numbers as now when it was written.

Perhaps it sounds like a whisper to you but to us it is just as loud as it was for those complaining back then.  If you are making a correlation between the volume of complaints then and now you really need to look at the number of active participants both in game and on the BBS. 

Fewer complaining now is simply a reflection of numbers.

Again see above.
Do some searches back in the summer of 2004. BTW ENY was suggested by players as a way to deal with the imbalance. My first attempt was forced queuing to enter flight. And we also had tried perk rewards only which had no measurable effect.

HiTech

HiTech

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2019, 03:40:25 PM »
Many people hate ENY (I know that I do) but it is something that needs to be there.  Unless we can come up with something that works better, or that people hate less, we are stuck with ENY. 

And the argument that "things are different now" doesn't work because the conditions that triggered the need have not changed.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2019, 04:07:44 PM »
First your leaving out balance of game play via lesser / better planes.

And exactly how is balance going to be achieved with out ENY, you seem to think it will just magically happen. But if that were true then ENY would never be an issue.

Or possibly you believe that forcing people to have lesser planes is worse then being out numbered.  Because that is all the ENY does. It is simply a trade off between having numbers or better planes or choose a different side.

But you complete ignore the fact that being overwhelmed and out number is not fun. People will log then also, but that only makes the imbalance worse and hence the problem worse . Or the player changes sides and again the problem becomes worse.

You stated that  That is absolutely not it's purpose, in fact it's purpose is just the opposite,to keep more people playing.

And to state that it is it's purpose is putting words in my mouth.
Purpose implies intent per Webster "something set up as an object or end to be attained". Side effects are different then purposes. Or do you think dry mouth is the purpose of decongestants.

HiTech

Please explain to me how anyone is overwhelmed with only twenty total players online split three ways?

I'll gladly be the one against 19 with ZERO ENY.  Even in that case I'll be lucky to find three people flying. 

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2019, 04:10:52 PM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 04:21:42 PM by hitech »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2019, 04:19:13 PM »
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 04:22:14 PM by hitech »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline DLXIRON

• Copper Member
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2019, 09:27:27 PM »

Could we just for the sake of experimentation try turning it off awhile to see what happens?  If all else fails you can turn it right back on right?

Thanks
Dougie

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2019, 09:38:42 PM »
Problem with that is the fallout if it's a disaster.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2019, 10:42:41 PM »
so, just spit balling here.

Has eny been adjusted to be irrelevant until all three sides have X amount of people in the air?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2019, 12:07:57 AM »
Can people ever switch to the high side?
If they can what is to prevent someone from switch to the high side to find some one, then instantly going back to the low side?

HiTech

Yeah I guess it could be abused. Maybe a reduced time requirement when going to the low side? 30 min instead of the current one? And 3 hrs to switch back to the high side. Or the option to change to the 3rd country with no time limit requirement?

Just brainstorming. I've definitely switched to an outnumbered country for a better fight only for a map to get reset which then changed to being "stuck" on the numerically superior team.

Atlau

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2019, 07:54:27 AM »
How about peeking the planes instead of limiting them?

It is statistically proven that perked planes have less usage.

In the late night, it's always the team that has no fights with the lowest #s. People don't switch there because there are no fights. The question is, how to create fights on all sides so the #s remain balanced?
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline wardog19

• Zinc Member
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2019, 08:06:31 AM »
Idiot!  I changed sides but nothing to see so I tried my second account  well I guessed wrong so I created a 3rd account...yep finally a fight.  How about you actually try the game instead of jerk off on the forum

We have a winner folks!  MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS!!  This is a genius solution to many things not just concerning 'ENY'.  Well, Minus the inappropriate comment about the forum part. 

As stated,  Obviously this not only solves 'finding a fight' …    just  imagine if those second or third accounts were logged on to the 'side' with fewer numbers, balance could be achieved, and thus no 'ENY'!   Also no need to switch sides since you could be on all three at same time!

And if a player is having trouble finding someone as good as they are to fight, they can go 1V1 (better yet) 2v1 against their other account game id.... Plus imagine the time saved since no need to hunt around or call out said player on CH.200 to meet up somewhere for that.

A further caveat would be that the number of players online in the arena increases exponentially (low numbers argument eliminated).  It would entice those that normally do not log on if number is low.

The complaint of a "tower sitting or AFK for hours" player would be moot along with accusations of "spying".

Multiple accounts increases the profits of HTC therefore many of the things that are wished for or wanted by very stalwart players could be afforded and implemented in game while reversing a decline in sub

I'm sure many others can think of instances of grievance that can be eliminated or created by having multiple accounts, so I digress.

Now I know that some may have looked upon those having multiple accounts as being used for nefarious reasons...but as it was stated by the poster, they are merely used to 'find a fight'..    yet Upon reading that I realized there was a gem hiding within.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #118 on: October 22, 2019, 02:37:12 PM »
Thanks wardog19,  what did you think about the ideas of how to modify ENY?

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2019, 05:33:37 PM »
This comment may get a ton of flak, more than likely from the ones who fall into one of the categories I highlight below.
However, The ENY issue has a very simple solution, just institute an inactivity kick! No movement for 15 minutes (example) and you are booted. Quite common in MMO games. That clears the tower of the players who use a second account (some have admitted to having a second account in this thread) to spy or to raise the eny and also the ones who wait for the win in absentia.
As to changing sides, many are loyal their country and won’t do that, I think that is called, a team player!
While we are at it, off map death would be nice to keep peope from “gaming the game”
"Harden The F_ck Up”