Author Topic: MIDWAY - the movie  (Read 7029 times)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
Re: MIDWAY - the movie
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2019, 12:20:00 PM »
there should be a trailer for hitech creations at the beginning of that movie!!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2019, 04:00:50 PM »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2019, 04:18:15 PM »
I saw it this morning.
It was OK.  Not fantastic, but OK. 

Not Saving Private Ryan level, but better than yet another comic book super hero movie. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline amp

• Zinc Member
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2019, 06:59:28 PM »

Offline TeeArr

• Copper Member
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2019, 09:59:10 PM »
I agree with Vraciu.  "Shattered Sword" is a fantastic book, and shows, with Japanese documentation how the Kido Butai really failed at Midway. 
Although I haven't seen the Movie itself, I have seen the extended trailer.  These are my impressions:
The Pearl Harbor Attack:  The Japanese Zeros weren't green.  Not a single one of them.  With a major portion of the Aircraft fighting and flying scenes done with CGI, they could have done better.  Attention to detail.  Remember this as I will say "see above" several times.   The Doolittle Raid scenes are beautiful.  The one view of the B-25 from the bow taking off is fantastic, as is seeing 16 B-25s sitting on the Deck of the Hornet CV-8.  Too bad they are B-25Js (See above).  The Midway attack by Torpedo 8 is cool.  You get to see TBD-1 Devestators in flight (for a short time anyhow), but the TBD-1s never carried a pair of 500 pound bombs on it's wings...especially not while carrying a torpedo. (See above).  There are several people who are depicted from real life; Dick Best, Wade McCluskey, George Gay, Jimmy Doolittle, and Nimitz to name a few.  There were also plenty of people who were important to the telling of the battle who were not depicted, and probably should have been: Specifically; Stanhope Ring, Mark Mitscher, and John Waldron.
I do plan on seeing the film, but I will watch it for story content and try to ignore the CGI mistakes.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2019, 03:18:38 AM »
"Gonna hit the brakes [in my SBD], he'll fly right by."

:rolleyes:
SBD is so slow that if you hit the breaks it starts to fly backwards.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2019, 04:51:29 AM »

:rofl
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2019, 12:18:00 PM »

DOH!!!!    :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2019, 01:42:04 PM »
I agree with Vraciu.  "Shattered Sword" is a fantastic book, and shows, with Japanese documentation how the Kido Butai really failed at Midway. 
Although I haven't seen the Movie itself, I have seen the extended trailer.  These are my impressions:
The Pearl Harbor Attack:  The Japanese Zeros weren't green.  Not a single one of them.  With a major portion of the Aircraft fighting and flying scenes done with CGI, they could have done better.  Attention to detail.  Remember this as I will say "see above" several times.   The Doolittle Raid scenes are beautiful.  The one view of the B-25 from the bow taking off is fantastic, as is seeing 16 B-25s sitting on the Deck of the Hornet CV-8.  Too bad they are B-25Js (See above).  The Midway attack by Torpedo 8 is cool.  You get to see TBD-1 Devestators in flight (for a short time anyhow), but the TBD-1s never carried a pair of 500 pound bombs on it's wings...especially not while carrying a torpedo. (See above).  There are several people who are depicted from real life; Dick Best, Wade McCluskey, George Gay, Jimmy Doolittle, and Nimitz to name a few.  There were also plenty of people who were important to the telling of the battle who were not depicted, and probably should have been: Specifically; Stanhope Ring, Mark Mitscher, and John Waldron.
I do plan on seeing the film, but I will watch it for story content and try to ignore the CGI mistakes.

:aok

Yeah, how you can tell the story of this battle without covering Torpedo 8 is beyond me.

There was also a rather gallant Japanese fighter pilot mentioned in SHATTERED SWORD who deserves attention in telling this tale.   

Too bad on both counts.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2019, 01:54:19 PM »
:aok

Yeah, how you can tell the story of this battle without covering Torpedo 8 is beyond me.

There was also a rather gallant Japanese fighter pilot mentioned in SHATTERED SWORD who deserves attention in telling this tale.   

Too bad on both counts.

The story was primarily focused on Dick Best (who was himself omitted from the 1976 Midway) and Bombing Six, so some things simply had to end up on the cutting room floor in a 2 hour movie (IE, not showing any of the fighters even though McCluskey was CO of Fighting Six before his promotion to CAG). I already said in my review this could have benefited tremendously from being a miniseries rather than a film because of just how much they were trying to cover.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline TeeArr

• Copper Member
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2019, 02:26:29 PM »
They did cover Torpedo 8, after a fashion by covering George Gay...the sole survivor from the TBDs on the Hornet.  Perhaps they spent too much time covering the battles leading up to Midway, that could have been used to round out the story of the Battle.  There is a book "A Dauntless Victory"  which concentrates on how the SBD Squadrons were the real heroes of the battle...I didn't make it past two chapters of this self aggrandizing container of fewmets and have not picked it up again.  Two other books however are fantastic and worth the time: "The Battle of Midway" by Symonds, and "A Dawn Like Thunder" by Mrazek, which covers the history of Torpedo 8 Before and after Midway.

I hope this helps.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2019, 05:48:25 PM »
The story was primarily focused on Dick Best (who was himself omitted from the 1976 Midway) and Bombing Six, so some things simply had to end up on the cutting room floor in a 2 hour movie (IE, not showing any of the fighters even though McCluskey was CO of Fighting Six before his promotion to CAG). I already said in my review this could have benefited tremendously from being a miniseries rather than a film because of just how much they were trying to cover.

Cut out all the other stuff and focus on Midway.   This is where the 1976 film was also superior. 

This film is obviously scatterbrained.    Too diversified to find an anchor. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2019, 06:33:47 PM »
its about entertainment. accuracy yes, but mostly entertainment. were you entertained?

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2019, 06:48:17 AM »

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2019, 09:56:06 AM »

Watched that on Amazon Prime with my boy on Sunday. Still a great movie! :aok

The new Midway movie, however, I'll wait for it to come out on Netflix/Prime/Whateverstreamingservice.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech