Author Topic: Main Arena Map...what would it take to...  (Read 496 times)

Offline Sky Viper

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.no54squad.com
Main Arena Map...what would it take to...
« on: December 16, 2001, 09:26:00 PM »
HT,
What would it take for a user created map to make it into the MA?

Here is what I have done in my map.

TERRAIN
I used the 512 mile terrain, but have not spread the playing field over the entire area.  It is larger than the current terrains in rotation, but not so large that it takes a year to get across.
There is a good mix of base starting altitudes with some thought given toward strategy.
Mountains and lakes provide a variable surface over which to fight.

STRATEGY
There are areas that will perpetuate furballs, yet allow room to climb and strategicly bomb.
There is no lack of GV action in that 90% of the bases have multiple in-bound spawn points. Most of these spawns do not put a GV in easy reach of a base, but with some thoughtful driving, a 5-10 min ride could be fruitful.
Naval forces are provided with useful targets. Key bases are capturable through the efforts of the Carrier TG and a new Battle Group which I created.
3 Fleets per country - 2 TGs and 1 BG
New Field layouts that add more tactical element but not so different that they are difficult to deal with.  There are east-west runways for small bases, and some layouts are reversed.  Some fields have different fuel/ammo/ack/etc. locations, but all of the hangars are on the white/black hangar pads.
Some bases have the old style maproom on the base, and some have towns.
Some VH's are at different altitudes from their Air Field, as are some towns.
Some VH's are close, and some require a couple minutes drive to reach their AF/Town.
Resupply:  Some of the bases are Convoy resupplied, but not all.  Some of the Factories/Cities/HQ's are resupplied, but not all. One of the HQ's even has a Barge Resupply.    ;)

3 Country Split
Using Ogre's Mapmaker utility I was able to turn the natural 3 finger Island of Sulawesi into what I think is a suitable 3 country design. (BTW, Sulawesi was known as Celebes during WW2.  It was used by the Japanese as a place to store supplies in the Southern Pacific region.)
They all spread a bit as they move away from center, but not so far that they have the unreachable effect of the west finger in Mindanao.

So, I think I have satisfied the 3 general types we have in our community.
GV Drivers
Flyers
Squids (Navy types like me)
Based on what I read in your interview from the Con, I think this terrain will provide a solid layout for the future.
There is room for the addition of Subs, First Person action, etc.

I am posting a link to my new creation in hopes that you will at least take a look and consider it.

Thanks,
Viper

Here is the Link

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: Sky Viper ]

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2001, 02:28:00 PM »
nice

Offline Sky Viper

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2001, 10:25:00 AM »
F O O M P
<punt>

I'm going on leave (from the PC) for the next 3-4 weeks while I move and make repairs to my house before putting it on the market.

HT, Please consider this for use in the MA.
I would be glad to support it once I get moved and settled.  I ask nothing in return.
I just think it's time we try a larger arena.

Viper

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2001, 04:18:00 PM »
Hello Viper

I've downloaded the terrain celebes.res, but haven't looked at it yet, sorry  :(

Wasn't ignoring your post for your new terrain, lots of thing on my plate.

I know it's best if we all show support for each other ( like we all been doing ).

It will only help in our terrain building projects.

Plus I seen that BenDover had replied   :cool:  

Pokie

Offline scruu

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2001, 07:32:00 PM »
Hiyas SkyViper, To answer your question.... I can't I been wondering this for years now.    

Hopefully HTC will set some guidelines What IS required as a Basic starting point.

ScruU

Offline Broes

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2001, 02:21:00 AM »
Read a long while ago that HT accepts maps but they must be FULL functionable maps with all bells and whistles so that the only thing they have to do on it is approve or disapprove it.

Broes

Offline Sky Viper

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2002, 11:54:09 PM »
Punt

I'm back! :)

Viper

Offline Sky Viper

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2002, 05:22:49 PM »
Originally posted by Sky Viper
Punt

I'm back! :)

Viper

plop