Author Topic: F4F-3  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
F4F-3
« on: December 02, 2019, 09:40:49 AM »
This would be a relatively quick and easy add. The F4F-4 with the 4-gun option IS NOT an F4F-3. It's an FM-1 (license-built version of the -4 which removed the outer guns, but was otherwise the same aircraft). The F4F-3 lacked folding wings and was lighter than the -4, giving it much improved handling characteristics, a higher top speed, and greater rate of climb. Navy and Marine pilots preferred the -3 over the -4 both because of the superior performance.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: F4F-3
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 10:05:07 AM »
+1

The -3 would be a fun ride.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 04:30:09 PM »
Martlet Mk. I is better.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 05:23:58 PM »
Martlet Mk. I is better.

The Martlet I had a single-stage supercharger like the F4F-3A, which had markedly inferior performance and reduced service ceiling vs. the F4F-3's two-stage, two-speed supercharger.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 06:01:41 PM »
 Big +1. Would love to see it.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 06:24:13 PM »
+1
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 09:11:44 PM »
More planes is always good

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 08:43:17 AM »
The Martlet I had a single-stage supercharger like the F4F-3A, which had markedly inferior performance and reduced service ceiling vs. the F4F-3's two-stage, two-speed supercharger.

Better is relative, just as beauty is.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 09:05:29 AM »
Except when you’re talking about quantifiable details like performance. :-P

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 09:59:52 PM »
Except when you’re talking about quantifiable details like performance. :-P

I disagree.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 12:35:20 AM »
I disagree.

Then WHY will it be better even though the F4F-3 significantly outperforms it?

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 12:00:43 PM »
Then WHY will it be better even though the F4F-3 significantly outperforms it?

Because we have the F4F-4 and do not need a slightly different model. Truth be told, we do not need another Wildcat model at all, -3 or Martlet. But, if we are definitely adding one, we need an early one (G-36A, Martlet Mk. I), not an F4F-3. In my opinion, the Martlet Mk. I would be better for Aces High than a F4F-3.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2019, 12:38:15 PM »
While I'm all for more Brit-related stuff in AH there's a couple of problems with modelling the Martlet Mk I. First these were 80 aircraft taken over from a French order in 1940 with a 9 cylinder Wright engine rather than a 14 cylinder Pratt and Whitney. As they lacked folding wings the Royal Navy didn't employ them on their carriers but instead used them mostly for training and for defending shore bases like Scapa Flow. The first variant used in significant numbers and off of RN carriers was the six gun folding wing Mk II, similar to the F4F-4 we already have. The F4F-3 was a much more significant variant historically, being the main USN fighter prior to Midway at battles like Coral Sea. It would make a better match up to the A6M2 in scenarios than the heavier F4F-4.

From HTC's POV an F4F-3 would just require a few bulges on the 3D model to be deleted, the removal of the six gun load out option and some weight and armour removed from the flight model. A Martlet Mk I would require all this plus a new cowl shape and the 3D model of the 9 cylinder engine from the FM-2 transplanted onto it. The flight model would also need more work due to the different engine power curve and drag.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 12:49:17 PM by Greebo »

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2019, 01:13:13 PM »
While I'm all for more Brit-related stuff in AH there's a couple of problems with modelling the Martlet Mk I. First these were 80 aircraft taken over from a French order in 1940 with a 9 cylinder Wright engine rather than a 14 cylinder Pratt and Whitney. As they lacked folding wings the Royal Navy didn't employ them on their carriers but instead used them mostly for training and for defending shore bases like Scapa Flow. The first variant used in significant numbers and off of RN carriers was the six gun folding wing Mk II, similar to the F4F-4 we already have. The F4F-3 was a much more significant variant historically, being the main USN fighter prior to Midway at battles like Coral Sea. It would make a better match up to the A6M2 in scenarios than the heavier F4F-4.

From HTC's POV an F4F-3 would just require a few bulges on the 3D model to be deleted, the removal of the six gun load out option and some weight and armour removed from the flight model. A Martlet Mk I would require all this plus a new cowl shape and the 3D model of the 9 cylinder engine from the FM-2 transplanted onto it. The flight model would also need more work due to the different engine power curve and drag.

The -3 was also the variant flown by the Marine squadrons on Guadalcanal, and saw the bulk of the fighting. The only -4s were brought in by Navy squadrons.

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 11:35:47 AM »
We have four P-40's that are practically the same, so what's the deference in another Wildcat.