Author Topic: Would D-Day still have been a success had Omaha Beach been abandoned?  (Read 1966 times)

Offline 63tb

• Copper Member
Re: Would D-Day still have been a success had Omaha Beach been abandoned?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2019, 07:14:43 AM »
Wasn’t there a rumor that Dresden was being “saved” for the first atom bomb? They wanted a large, eastern, undamaged city.

63tb

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2019, 09:08:25 AM »
Dresden wasn't 'saved' at all.

But it wasn't irradiated.

Offline 63tb

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2019, 10:56:49 AM »
Yeah, only when they realized Germany was finished and the bomb wasn’t necessary there. Odd that one large German City was left untouched until 45, when the rest were being pounded to dust.

63tb

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2019, 11:59:59 AM »
Are you basing your claim on actual scholarly sources or a feeling you have?

Offline 63tb

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2019, 01:38:03 PM »
Reread my post. I’m asking if anyone had heard of that rumor. But never mind, I found it myself -

http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2013/10/11/heisenbergs-dresden-story/

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2019, 03:53:04 PM »
So i am right..again

If i actually acted normal i would be dangerous

How many of read real books.

Someone at work asked me what did i think of the Iron man films :old:

He looked at me shocked when i said i will ask my 8 year old nephew.

You lot a actually think the American civil war was fought to free slaves :rofl

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2019, 12:47:50 AM »
Reread my post. I’m asking if anyone had heard of that rumor. But never mind, I found it myself -

http://blog.nuclearsecrecy.com/2013/10/11/heisenbergs-dresden-story/

I kindda doubt that the german minister of propaganda would have let an article like this published.  in the usa it was top secret and for germany  to have an article like this published would have indicated they had sources in america.  and that would be not a good idea.  I mean it's possible but I kind of doubt it.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2019, 10:05:10 AM »
Basically the Krauts and Japs infrastructure was rebuilt and the industrial output used for peace time products.

And it was nothing to do with technological and industrial prowess, the Allies knew that these two countries needed to be kept busy or they would start acting like savages again.

MacArthur needed those radios built to communicate and Demming was the man and reason the Japanese quality took off. To bad stupid Americans couldn’t see what he was preaching.

The American Civil War seems to have been taught different since I got out of school.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2019, 01:52:11 AM »
How dare you!

I am triggered! :O

The GFC

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2019, 06:17:02 AM »
D Day is militarily irrelevant.  Without D Day Germany would still have lost the war.  D Day was more political than tactical.  It was about appeasing the Russians and securing a stake at the table for the Allies.  The race to Berlin was not about Patton and Montgomery, it was about West V East.

Most Americans like to think they were the difference in WW2.  America won the war!!  ooooraaah.

Truth is Russia won the war and even without American intervention they would have defeated Germany.  Weight of numbers.  Simple mathematics.

The forces defending Normandy and subsequent Western theatre actions were but a fraction of those engaged with the Russians.  The West deludes itself that it won WW2 but in reality Russia carried the burden and the victory belongs to them.  Check this out

https://youtu.be/DwKPFT-RioU
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 06:19:25 AM by FESS67 »

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2019, 06:50:20 AM »
Bomber command did their bit in fracturing the infra structure.

Do you think the Jerries will start another war?

The GFC

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2019, 08:30:56 AM »
I'll abandon the nuclear notion in favor of the original question posted.
Interesting notion. But as someone pointed out. Had Omaha not been maintained its possible it may have made it easier for the Germans to defense and move forces to other fronts. As was pointed out in the Abrose books "Citizen Soldiers" and "D-Day". The high command already knew before the landings from the secret surveys that were being done of the beach heads that Omaha was likely to be as tough as it was.
Im thinking we should remember the doctrine of the time of fire and movement with Omaha being a holding force as much as anything.
Remember. This was a time when the common doctrine was in order to find out where the enemy likely was to send a scout party out and see if they came back.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2019, 08:35:13 AM »
D Day is militarily irrelevant.  Without D Day Germany would still have lost the war.  D Day was more political than tactical.  It was about appeasing the Russians and securing a stake at the table for the Allies.  The race to Berlin was not about Patton and Montgomery, it was about West V East.

Most Americans like to think they were the difference in WW2.  America won the war!!  ooooraaah.

Truth is Russia won the war and even without American intervention they would have defeated Germany.  Weight of numbers.  Simple mathematics.

The forces defending Normandy and subsequent Western theatre actions were but a fraction of those engaged with the Russians.  The West deludes itself that it won WW2 but in reality Russia carried the burden and the victory belongs to them.  Check this out

https://youtu.be/DwKPFT-RioU

For a myriad of reasons including over a hundred thousands of tons of reasons. I couldnt possibly disagree with this statement more. If not for America. Russia could not have won or accomplished what it did.
As on Russian General put it

""Now they say that the allies never helped us, but it can't be denied that the Americans gave us so many goods without which we wouldn't have been able to form our reserves and continue the war," Soviet General Georgy Zhukov said after the end of WWII.

"We didn’t have explosives, gunpowder. We didn’t have anything to charge our rifle cartridges with. The Americans really saved us with their gunpowder and explosives. And how much sheet steel they gave us! How could we have produced our tanks without American steel? But now they make it seem as if we had an abundance of all that. Without American trucks we wouldn’t have had anything to pull our artillery with."
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 08:37:38 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2019, 09:16:22 AM »
If not for America. Russia could not have won or accomplished what it did.

True.  400,000 jeeps and trucks, 1.75 million tons of food, in addition to planes, steel, and all the other things Zhukov mentioned.  Lend-lease didn't really start to get to the Bolsheviks in quantity until after Stalingrad, so contributed little to the critical defense period of 1941-42.  But it's hard to see how the 1943-45 counter-offensives could have occurred in the absence of US aid.

That said, on the eastern front we paid in dollars, while the Russians paid in blood.

- oldman

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2019, 11:18:48 AM »

True.  400,000 jeeps and trucks, 1.75 million tons of food, in addition to planes, steel, and all the other things Zhukov mentioned.  Lend-lease didn't really start to get to the Bolsheviks in quantity until after Stalingrad, so contributed little to the critical defense period of 1941-42.  But it's hard to see how the 1943-45 counter-offensives could have occurred in the absence of US aid.

That said, on the eastern front we paid in dollars, while the Russians paid in blood.

- oldman

To that point, the war was already over when Allied forces landed in France and forced Germany into a two front war. I suspect that if it wasn’t for D-Day including Omaha landings going well, Germany would of simply pounded the Russians until they had nothing left but rocks to throw at the Germans.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech