Author Topic: Two sides  (Read 15626 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
Re: Two sides
« Reply #180 on: December 14, 2019, 04:35:42 PM »
for reasons that are known only to Dale, he has decided that there will never be a two sided MA. However, the point that is being debated is the spread of players across three fronts.

Dale has told everyone why.  He has tried it before.  Three sides works better than two sides.

Every time this comes up, people yell, "You're wrong!  Things are different now!"  But history has shown that with an open playground like this, three sides works better than two sides.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #181 on: December 14, 2019, 05:01:22 PM »
If you complain that players are spread too thin in the maps.  Maybe try to understand why.  And the problem isn't big maps.  Players themselves can fix that and concentrate on same base.  But why they don't do it?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #182 on: December 14, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »
What is your understanding as to why they are spread out?

10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #183 on: December 14, 2019, 05:51:41 PM »
Answer my question first.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: December 14, 2019, 05:52:34 PM »
If I had a buck for every time I've read that I'd be living on a beach  :old:

You can read?  Color me surprised.   :D :banana:
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #185 on: December 14, 2019, 05:53:34 PM »
Dale has told everyone why.  He has tried it before.  Three sides works better than two sides.

Every time this comes up, people yell, "You're wrong!  Things are different now!" But history has shown that with an open playground like this, three sides works better than two sides.

Yeah, yeah, sure.   SMH.

Two worked just fine in WBs and we had no side-balancing mechanics.   

Say what you want, three sides is not working and people are quitting because of its effects.

History has shown that people want action and when they don't get it they leave.  Three sides.  Two sides.  Ten sides.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 05:55:40 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #186 on: December 14, 2019, 06:02:51 PM »
Answer my question first.

semp

It's simple, excessive choice vs. time available, gratification/fulfillment vs. down time to target once one is selected.

:salute 

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #187 on: December 14, 2019, 06:07:33 PM »
If you complain that players are spread too thin in the maps.  Maybe try to understand why.  And the problem isn't big maps.  Players themselves can fix that and concentrate on same base.  But why they don't do it?

semp

What is your understanding as to why they are spread out?

The answer is the same for both questions....... it is easier to go where there ISNT any opposition and capture bases.

It seems more and more that players are looking for the easy way out more and more often.

Fighting in an area where a couple of "sharks" are orbiting, go and start a fight on the other side of the map.

A good defense springs up at a  base capture, move to the other side of the map to roll an undefended base.

How are you going to make players turn around and WANT to fight? Fight for a base, fight in a fighter, fight through a cap in buffs and getting bombs out on target. If players dont want to FIGHT, this game is going to slowly continue to die a slow death.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #188 on: December 14, 2019, 06:10:08 PM »

Every time this comes up, people yell, "You're wrong!  Things are different now!"  But history has shown that with an open playground like this, three sides works better than two sides.

Yep!

He's tried and tested the 2 sides approach.as well as the 4 sides approach for Malee Arena play.... 3 sides is what works the best for MA playing.....

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #189 on: December 14, 2019, 06:11:25 PM »
Yep!

He's tried and tested the 2 sides approach.as well as the 4 sides approach for Malee Arena play.... 3 sides is what works the best for MA playing.....

What was the game state at the time of testing?

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #190 on: December 14, 2019, 06:17:37 PM »

Doesn't really matter, even though it was like 23+ years ago.....  Player mentality state of wanting to be on the side with the advantage is what makes 2 sides Main arena play a no-go.... That simple
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #191 on: December 14, 2019, 06:21:44 PM »
Doesn't really matter, even though it was like 23+ years ago.....  Player mentality state of wanting to be on the side with the advantage is what makes 2 sides Main arena play a no-go.... That simple

That makes a massive difference.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #192 on: December 14, 2019, 06:43:55 PM »

Obviously you think Dale is not too bright. He said he tested it and he understands what works best.

Anyone who has a mind to can build their own game and run it as they see fit.... just lime Dale does.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #193 on: December 14, 2019, 06:54:06 PM »
Obviously you think Dale is not too bright. He said he tested it and he understands what works best.

Anyone who has a mind to can build their own game and run it as they see fit.... just lime Dale does.

Don't put words in my mouth.

MMO's are a social game, social constructs change with time. If what TC stated is true in terms of time frames. It would stand to reason that another study would be needed.

Dale has already given his verdict on the subject, what is happening now is called a conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #194 on: December 14, 2019, 06:57:12 PM »

Times change, for what its worth, Dale doesn't.