Author Topic: Two sides  (Read 15812 times)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Re: Two sides
« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2019, 02:49:52 PM »
I started with Cobol in high school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Canspec

• Silver Member
« Reply #166 on: December 13, 2019, 03:39:00 PM »
My first computer course was Fortran IV in 1969........at that time there was only one place in town that had a computer you could send your punch cards to be read.....the local military base........one of our first exercises was to code 2 + 2 = 4

....coding was done.....punch cards were produced and sent off to get an answer.....two weeks later the punch cards came back with an error........fixed code, punched new cards......two more weeks later I got the correct response.....At that time as students, we just couldn't see much use for this new technology....ha... 

We actually visited the military base to see the computer......a very large room filled with banks of magnetic tape machines......we were impressed when the officer in charge was able to have the computer print out a December calendar page for us....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 03:43:46 PM by Canspec »

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #167 on: December 13, 2019, 04:52:14 PM »
I started with Cobol in high school.

Nobody started in BASIC?

DANG. 

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #168 on: December 13, 2019, 04:57:17 PM »
Started in BASIC when I was about 6, I got a book of simple BASIC programs for kids. When we took coding in high school it was BASIC too.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #169 on: December 13, 2019, 05:08:44 PM »
Nobody started in BASIC?

DANG.

First computer.

Saving the code to cassette tape.

Spent half a summer writing my magnus opus in BASIC: "Global Thermonuclear War". 

About 3/4 through I hit the 16k mem limit and I was like "Whoa!  I hit the limit on the whole computer!!!"   :rofl :rofl :rofl 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #170 on: December 13, 2019, 06:27:36 PM »
Me and a friend spent like 4 hours writing a program on an apple2c.  We didn't didn't finish it, so we tried to save it to a floppy disk.  We couldn't, looked at him upset as hell, he forgot to do pr#1 and pr#6. All that time waisted.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Harry46

• Zinc Member
« Reply #171 on: December 13, 2019, 08:21:28 PM »

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #172 on: December 13, 2019, 10:31:58 PM »
oh look, lingerie for programmers

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #173 on: December 14, 2019, 04:04:48 AM »
So Knights are being disbanded in two weeks.

Hitech agrees with me after all :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #174 on: December 14, 2019, 06:55:02 AM »
Maps create the action. Period. It's a map issue, not a side issue.

Some do need to be removed or replaced during off hours.

Side switch should be 3 hours.

3 hours would not create spying. But would help #s to balance better.

If you dont think splitting 50 players 3 ways, and limiting exposure to eachother is a huge problem here....you are huffing glue.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #175 on: December 14, 2019, 09:45:17 AM »
If you dont think splitting 50 players 3 ways, and limiting exposure to eachother is a huge problem here....you are huffing glue.

Well, if all 3 sides can be apart of the action, then it's not too bad, preferably not in a FT tho. I recommended a map switch to smaller maps during a period of time during the off hours in other threads. Not sure how hard that would be to implement. Think it would be great tho. The larger maps like the one that is a circle with a bunch of islands around it, for example, is not good at all during those times. IMO, if maps are smaller but get rolled over quickly, that's not a bad thing. Some of these maps stay up for 4-5 days and it's very annoying. I had a whole week to play AH a few weeks ago. Was the same friggen huge map the entire week.... kinda disappointed me. Perhaps maps with only 2 sides could be tested in the off hours, but for me its about the size of the map and access for all teams to fight each other when the #s get low.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #176 on: December 14, 2019, 10:07:58 AM »

:rofl :rofl :rofl :aok :cheers:
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #177 on: December 14, 2019, 10:08:43 AM »
oh look, lingerie for programmers

:rofl :rofl :rofl
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #178 on: December 14, 2019, 03:41:12 PM »
Well, if all 3 sides can be apart of the action, then it's not too bad, preferably not in a FT tho. I recommended a map switch to smaller maps during a period of time during the off hours in other threads. Not sure how hard that would be to implement. Think it would be great tho. The larger maps like the one that is a circle with a bunch of islands around it, for example, is not good at all during those times. IMO, if maps are smaller but get rolled over quickly, that's not a bad thing. Some of these maps stay up for 4-5 days and it's very annoying. I had a whole week to play AH a few weeks ago. Was the same friggen huge map the entire week.... kinda disappointed me. Perhaps maps with only 2 sides could be tested in the off hours, but for me its about the size of the map and access for all teams to fight each other when the #s get low.

for reasons that are known only to Dale, he has decided that there will never be a two sided MA. However, the point that is being debated is the spread of players across three fronts.

While smaller maps will do their part, the issue of player numbers being spread to thin across the map is not addressed. Even with smaller maps you will still have three fronts to fight on. This means that if two of the countries are fighting, one country is left with a pretty peaceful front with little to no action. Removing the third country places the fight at your doorstep, regardless of the country that you are on. Sure there would have to be some concessions made for "map win" conditions and a few other adjustments but all in all it would alleviate the "odd man out" syndrome that exists in today's game environment.

There are other things that can be done to remove other annoyances and breathe life back in to this game for the current users, such as:

Make strats worth attacking and defending, limiting airfield numbers and types, perhaps change to a victory condition that relies on points instead of percentages, change base capture requirements so that we actually have to work for the capture etc... .

for new players there needs to be a mandatory flight training mission that asks "are you using a mouse or joystick?" and then plays one of two flight training missions to at least get them off the ground and in stable flight and back to the ground wheels down.

for what it's worth, these are just my opinions.

:salute

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #179 on: December 14, 2019, 03:52:15 PM »

for new players there needs to be a mandatory flight training mission that asks "are you using a mouse or joystick?" and then plays one of two flight training missions to at least get them off the ground and in stable flight and back to the ground wheels down.

If I had a buck for every time I've read that I'd be living on a beach  :old: