Author Topic: Would D-Day still have been a success had Omaha Beach been abandoned?  (Read 1901 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Would D-Day still have been a success had Omaha Beach been abandoned?
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2019, 11:37:24 PM »
To that point, the war was already over when Allied forces landed in France and forced Germany into a two front war. I suspect that if it wasn’t for D-Day including Omaha landings going well, Germany would of simply pounded the Russians until they had nothing left but rocks to throw at the Germans.

Hitler made the war a two front war. Before that there was only a war against the allies. The russians had an agreement with germany and even assisted germany before things turned on them. The russians paid dearly for their earlier mistakes.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2019, 01:45:01 AM »
Hitler made the war a two front war. Before that there was only a war against the allies. The russians had an agreement with germany and even assisted germany before things turned on them. The russians paid dearly for their earlier mistakes.

I dont think the russians really trusted germany.  they knew they were gonna be attacked.  yes they killed those that retreated and held the line at Stalingrad on a couple of other cities.  but that is because they knew that they german resupply was at their limit.  it's the same reason why japan never planned an invasion of mainland usa.  the common lie is they would find a gun behind every blade of grass is bs.  they knew they couldn't resupply the invasion, they couldnt even resupply Hawaii, if they had attempted an invasion, it would have been a suicide mission which is what happened to the germans.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2019, 12:48:33 AM »
To that point, the war was already over when Allied forces landed in France and forced Germany into a two front war. I suspect that if it wasn’t for D-Day including Omaha landings going well, Germany would of simply pounded the Russians until they had nothing left but rocks to throw at the Germans.
The "two front war" Began with the war in North Africa, Sicily and t hen Italy.
 D-Day only was the beginning of a second front in Northern Europe. but by then the Germans were already fighting the allies on two fronts. In north Africa alone the Germans lost almost a million troops killed and captured (about 620K killed and wounded and over 250K captured) In Sicily the Germans suffered about 30K killed or wounded and another 100K captured, German suffered over 300K more casualties in Italy not including those captured.
All those took away much needed forces that could have been used against the Russian forces. Not to mention hundreds of tonnes of fuel, food,medical supplies, aircraft,tanks,aircraft, and untold amounts of other war material that was not able to be used against the Russians

Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty