Author Topic: How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?  (Read 62946 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Re: How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?
« Reply #285 on: December 20, 2019, 06:06:02 PM »
So my 60Hz monitor is going to be an issue even though I have a decent video card?

If it is a GeForce card, you can set the refresh to "fast".  Even though the monitor is 60Hz the vid card can render frames faster and will display the most recent frame when the monitor is ready to refresh.  That will minimize latency.  Also, I went from a 60Hz monitor (using the "fast" refresh) to a 144Hz G-Sync monitor and really don't see much difference in AH.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #286 on: December 20, 2019, 06:15:23 PM »
Instead of trying to burn me at the stake, how many people had similar problems who canceled their subscriptions becasue of the flippity floppy, rubber bullets, weird tank combat and so on? Stop trying to kill the messenger and think about why we lost so many when the game changed over in the simplest terms possible becasue that will be much closer to the truth.

These are the only kills some people can manage.    :cheers:
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #287 on: December 20, 2019, 06:48:27 PM »
Instead of trying to burn me at the stake, how many people had similar problems who canceled their subscriptions becasue of the flippity floppy, rubber bullets, weird tank combat and so on?

The players remaining have been here much longer than what could be reasonably expected for players of any normal computer game. The problem is that there are no new players.

Once I changed monitors and my FPS in AH3 was 165, all my muscle memory shooting from AH2 works exactly like it did then. And now the famous flippity floppy maneuvering by Yak3 and Doras is just slow rolls and postivie G pushes of the nose which gets them killed for slowing down like that.

Are any calculations (physics of the own plane and bullets, or guesstimates of other planes based on data received, or ...) running at screen refresh frequency? I doubt it.

Higher frequency simply allows for a faster control loop hands -> stick -> computer -> screen -> eyes -> brain -> hands -> ...

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #288 on: December 20, 2019, 07:01:00 PM »
You guys need to remember that for old guys like bustr, eyes aren't so good, so every little thing helps.

It's like me, every once in a while I can't see the monitor, so I move closer till I figure out my wife switched my computer glasses and reading glasses and both are on similar frames.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #289 on: December 21, 2019, 04:09:48 AM »
... till I figure out my wife switched my computer glasses and reading glasses and both are on similar frames.

Different glasses for reading and computers? Colored heat shrink wrap might solve that.

I've found mobile glasses quite useful. Well, actually I'm near sighted enough to just take off any glasses for toying with a mobile screen.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #290 on: December 21, 2019, 01:39:42 PM »
Computer glasses focus at a different distance than reading glasses :).

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #291 on: December 22, 2019, 09:47:30 AM »
Interesting thread.

I was here from initial Beta until the Fall of 2014. Flew way too many hours in the early years. What great fun it was. Was down to single digit hours towards the end.

Why? I think because I'm an action junkie.

Early times, it was non-stop air combat. Even if I got shot down, I could get back in the fight in the blink of an eye. To me, the fun was the non-stop action; the engagement, the shooting.

As time went on things were implemented that slowed down the action. Bases farther apart, strateegery, hardened towns, etc.  I understand the larger crowds. Nonetheless, for me the great times were when a base could be taken and then re-taken pretty quickly. The front was ever changing. A small squad could NOE a rear base and the fight was on.

Basically, the action was just too slow for me. Interest waned while droning around on A/P heading for a fight. Guess that was it. Not sure anything can be done now. But damn...those were great days....with great squaddies. It will always be a fond memory. Friends I made on this game are STILL great friends.

Thanks, HT.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #292 on: December 22, 2019, 10:06:45 AM »
Toad, have you tried out Monday Night Madness in the AvA? It’s pretty much non stop action.  There were 20 dog fighters in this last Monday.  It’s starts at 2000 EST.  Come git some and try it out!  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #293 on: December 22, 2019, 10:20:23 AM »
Puma....yeah, I still "feel the need, the need for....furball!" :)

However, right now I'm in one of those life situations. Cross country move in progress, house to sell, blah, blah, blah.

The new place is rural...not too sure of the 'gaming quality' internet available. I think about the only choice is going to be one of those "fixed wireless" companies. Not sure if it will be good enough. I don't want laggy gameplay; not worth it. We will see.

Once things get settled, I'll probably take a peek. Not that my um....err....previously lightning like reflexes and eagle-eyed vision have aged well.....I'm sure I'll make a great, easy target!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #294 on: December 22, 2019, 11:13:24 AM »

As time went on things were implemented that slowed down the action. Bases farther apart, strateegery, hardened towns, etc.  I understand the larger crowds. Nonetheless, for me the great times were when a base could be taken and then re-taken pretty quickly. The front was ever changing. A small squad could NOE a rear base and the fight was on.

This was the thing in WBs I really loved.    I could de-ack a small field in one pass with 1000lb bombs in a P-38L if I hit the right spots.  Two sides.  (No, I'm not going there, just painting the picture.)   Fronts ebbing and flowing.  It really made the game feel more dynamic.   You could literally see where the war was moving on your (full-screen) map.   Loved that aspect.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 11:16:42 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #295 on: December 22, 2019, 11:53:56 AM »

The new place is rural...not too sure of the 'gaming quality' internet available. I think about the only choice is going to be one of those "fixed wireless" companies. Not sure if it will be good enough. I don't want laggy gameplay; not worth it. We will see.

Also in a rural area and connect through a Verizon cell "hotspot".  Pings 120ish with solid net status.  Never accused of lagging online.

KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #296 on: December 22, 2019, 01:10:41 PM »
Thx, Popeye.

The area IS very well covered by Verizon which I use. Maybe that work better than fixed wireless. Time will tell.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #297 on: December 22, 2019, 01:53:39 PM »
Thx, Popeye.

The area IS very well covered by Verizon which I use. Maybe that work better than fixed wireless. Time will tell.

Messiah used to play via cellphone.   Worked well for him.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #298 on: December 22, 2019, 02:02:58 PM »
Puma....yeah, I still "feel the need, the need for....furball!" :)

However, right now I'm in one of those life situations. Cross country move in progress, house to sell, blah, blah, blah.

Once things get settled, I'll probably take a peek. Not that my um....err....previously lightning like reflexes and eagle-eyed vision have aged well.....I'm sure I'll make a great, easy target!

Good luck with the move.  Hope you can get reasonable internet running in time.  By the way, everyone in the AvA Monday nights is a target.  :rofl

All gave some, Some gave all

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #299 on: December 22, 2019, 03:09:42 PM »
Toad, have you tried out Monday Night Madness in the AvA? It’s pretty much non stop action.  There were 20 dog fighters in this last Monday.  It’s starts at 2000 EST.  Come git some and try it out!  :salute

This is sorta what I imagined with a full time fighter bowl on a map similar to the AvA. I love MNM, but it is so hard for me to play on Monday. Wish there was an arena similar to it that was packed like that all of the time.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion