Author Topic: How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?  (Read 62948 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?
« Reply #375 on: December 25, 2019, 01:34:28 PM »
Yes. If you want a WB trainer go for it.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #376 on: December 25, 2019, 01:35:03 PM »

They're probably just as common/available.  That's Ciaphas' point.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #377 on: December 25, 2019, 01:37:22 PM »
We're better looking.   :banana:

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #378 on: December 25, 2019, 01:39:38 PM »

There is a possibility that over the last 20 yrs, you have gotten used to players that had come to AH from WB and other like flight sims. They probably needed very little in the way of "training" as they already had a basic understanding of this games model.

It's also quite understandable that the training corps got comfortable with the that environment. Well, that environment no longer exists the way that it did back then. This means that the training corps mission needs to be evaluated and adjusted to fit in today's environment. The "that's the way we have always done it" mentality is one of the most corrosive mentalities that one can have in any walk of life.

10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #379 on: December 25, 2019, 01:48:13 PM »
We're better looking.   :banana:

Touche'!!!   :rofl
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #380 on: December 25, 2019, 01:50:47 PM »
There is a possibility that over the last 20 yrs, you have gotten used to players that had come to AH from WB and other like flight sims. They probably needed very little in the way of "training" as they already had a basic understanding of this games model.

It's also quite understandable that the training corps got comfortable with the that environment. Well, that environment no longer exists the way that it did back then. This means that the training corps mission needs to be evaluated and adjusted to fit in today's environment. The "that's the way we have always done it" mentality is one of the most corrosive mentalities that one can have in any walk of life.

Nobody in the training corps or HTC has that attitude. That's why I say you make up straw men.

Which AHTC trainers have you trained with?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 01:52:35 PM by FLS »

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #381 on: December 25, 2019, 02:24:58 PM »
Nobody in the training corps or HTC has that attitude. That's why I say you make up straw men.

I don't think a strawman means what you think it means.

Based on your own admissions on how the training corps operates, it leads one to believe that players from 20 yrs ago were more skilled out of the gate then they are now. It also points to an assumption that players from 20 yrs ago as being more versed in flight sims than they are today (new to the game types only), of course this is through your own admission not mine.

From the outside looking in at training and from your own admission you appear to have the mentality that I described in my last post. I'm also not talking to HTC, I am talking to you.

Which AHTC trainers have you trained with?

I've never seen one in the MA, I've never seen a message saying "Hey, there is a trainer online" and I've damn sure never seen a trainer in the TA and had I not been a member of the BBS I would have never known who were trainers and to be honest I still don't know who they all are because they don't have any real presence in game.

It has also been stated in another thread that the training by appointment is there because if a trainer is in a sortie, they don't want to end their sortie to help someone out. so, which is it, train people or worry about score? Can't really do both and be effective. Don't say that you can because people who quit out of frustration would not have quit or not as many of them.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 04:37:36 PM by Ciaphas »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #382 on: December 25, 2019, 06:13:52 PM »
On the Aces High web site under "Game Info" there is a link for "Need Training?". There it lists the trainers and how to get ahold of them. But, it is again up to the player to hunt down this information, much like anything else they might need in or about the game.

I think a more proactive training corp, having guys jump into the main and announce training available now, or "chat with a trainer" type thing to bring that info to new players more easily.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #383 on: December 25, 2019, 07:04:00 PM »
Do you know why people download the game and don't stay or are you just guessing? Because all the people that downloaded the game and stayed during the last 20 years didn't have training missions.

Try for a moment to forget everything you know about AH. Then imagine that you have played 100+ other games, half of them online, a dozen of them mmos. You got broadband, a 1 GB dowload takes less than a minute.

Now you are a typical new player.

Think how you would learn about the game. Probably by dumb luck, because there's practically no reviews on news sites nor any let's play videos. So most of the information you are going to consume is from the steam page. Or possibly the HTC website.
How much time do you spend on doing any reading before hitting the dowload-now-for-free button? Consider the time you spend reading vs the time it would take to try with just 1GB to dowload.

Now after reading the website for 2 minutes (and continuing to read  for another minute while the download is running) you log in to the game. First impression, text look blurred (pixelated fonts on the mapped texture of the clipboard). Offline... training... online... let's go online and check the game. Arenas... 100 there, others empty, ok, that one. Oh, not really free, it wants money regularly. Well, let's try while it's free.

Ugly video, go away, ah, thete's a checkbox to get rid of them.

Now how to get a plane... weird interface. Let's ask someone... no chat bar. Enter doesn't do anything. I'm not too stupid I can open the chat bar in every other game.

Oh well, blurred text, wants money, cannot fly. Not worth spending any further effort because it's probably not good enough for 15$/month anyway. Website looked ancient, let's try something else.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #384 on: December 25, 2019, 07:43:28 PM »
I don't think a strawman means what you think it means.

What do you think it is?

Here's an online definition. The straw man is a fallacy in which an opponent's argument is overstated or misrepresented in order to be more easily attacked or refuted.

It's a staple of bad arguments on the forum. Sometimes it's an inadvertent misunderstanding.

So for example you ascribe to me arguments and attitudes I don't have and then you ask me to defend them.
At which point I tell you it's another made up straw man.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #385 on: December 25, 2019, 07:52:20 PM »
Try for a moment to forget everything you know about AH. ...

That's happening as we speak.   :old:

When I started AH I didn't know anything about it.  But instead of imagining being a newbie it's better to just get one interested enough to try it out on your PC and watch what they do on their own, see where they have difficulty and where they get stuck. That way you're not imagining what other people are thinking and you have specific information instead of useless generalities.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #386 on: December 25, 2019, 08:11:50 PM »
That's happening as we speak.   :old:

Aint that the truth, time fly's way to fast.

When I started AH I didn't know anything about it.  But instead of imagining being a newbie it's better to just get one interested enough to try it out on your PC and watch what they do on their own, see where they have difficulty and where they get stuck. That way you're not imagining what other people are thinking and you have specific information instead of useless generalities.

Yeah, so, pregame training is based on the knowledge that a player will have to perform certain procedures in a repetitive manner while playing a game.

Company A: We will create a short hands on tutorial covering the basic elements required to play our game. Then, we will provide on "demand training" to our player base to help mitigate any other issues that may arise during core game play.

so, there's that... .

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #387 on: December 25, 2019, 08:38:10 PM »
What is iRacing doing that AH isn't doing?    Besides being used by professional race car drivers as a training tool, talked about on sports new shows on TV and sponsored by actual professional racing leagues.... oh did I mention advertising?  but besides all that....

They have steep learning curve, in many ways harder than AcesHigh and  a pricing model that makes it one of the most expensive games to play on the internet.

From the IRACING forums on 12/19/2019...

Big Day for iRacing!!!

We just hit 100,000 active members for the first time!!!!

This is a huge milestone for us and the community! We just wanted to thank all of you for being a part of this!!!

Our sincerest thanks to all of you, for letting us do what we love!!!!

Cheers!

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #388 on: December 25, 2019, 08:41:50 PM »
Subscription pay model, declining/stagnant interest in the flight sim genre, cost/poor value for peripherals, and a steep learning curve.

There are other factors for sure, but to me those listed above are the biggest impediments. 
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #389 on: December 25, 2019, 08:53:32 PM »
What is iRacing doing that AH isn't doing?   

Racing cars with penalties for crashing in a strictly controlled format where all you can choose is your paint job and road vs oval? And you buy each car beyond the basic set plus pay a subscription..

Race practice doesn't require an opponent, just a track and a clock, and there's no down time climbing out or rtb, the basic controls are familiar to everybody, and I doubt there's much picking or gang-banging.

I'm sure you aren't suggesting we get professional sponsorship, get fighter pilots to use AH for training, and expect coverage on sports news.