Author Topic: What causes the flippy flop?  (Read 14481 times)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
What causes the flippy flop?
« on: January 11, 2020, 11:11:36 AM »
What causes the flippy flop behavior when you get closer to another plane? I see it I think fairly often and somebody said my plane was doing it on there end, I wasn't doing anything particularly violent just scissoring trying to be smooth. Is it due to lag or is it something about the number of position calculations having to go up the closer you are and basically not having the intermediate frames in time to animate smoothly?
Pies not kicks.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: What causes the flippy flop?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 11:36:09 AM »
I'm guessing it's related to the code that assumes an aircraft is going in the same direction as the last packet of information received from that players PC. This normally makes the other aircraft's flight path look smoother when there is a delay in the next packet and allows your aircraft to maintain flight when you disco and rejoin.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 12:03:12 PM »
I'm guessing it's related to the code that assumes an aircraft is going in the same direction as the last packet of information received from that players PC. This normally makes the other aircraft's flight path look smoother when there is a delay in the next packet and allows your aircraft to maintain flight when you disco and rejoin.

That makes sense as it happens most with planes with a high roll rate at slow speeds. 190d. Spit16 are excellent at it :)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 02:37:56 PM »
Wish I knew because it's major league annoying.   I don't recall it as badly in AH2 but I may be misremembering.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 02:49:50 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 02:48:33 PM »
That makes sense as it happens most with planes with a high roll rate at slow speeds. 190d. Spit16 are excellent at it :)

If it's that then it's probably even worse when they snap roll. Does it look the same in AH film or just the monitor view?

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 02:57:36 PM »
Maybe "don`t move your controls so rapidly" or something like that threshold got relaxed as many requested and this is the result?
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 03:04:20 PM »
Maybe "don`t move your controls so rapidly" or something like that threshold got relaxed as many requested and this is the result?

I don't think that setting has changed and the flippy thingy isn't new, it seems to be a graphics anomaly.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 05:10:36 PM »

Maybe.   I can't even recall it happening in AH2 but see it frequently in AH3, primarily with 190s.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 05:28:54 PM »
I see it mostly with Spits where their CoG suddenly appears to be their tail.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 03:20:59 AM »

Air Warrior had the same problem with planes with a high roll rate.  In that game it was due to how fast your graphics card could render the image on screen.  Planes like the Dora were able to roll so fast the video card couldn't keep up and it would look like the Dora was flip flopping.

The flip flopping in AH has been around since I started playing AH.  I had asked once if it was the same issue that AW had and the response at the time (not sure if reply was from HiTech or Pyro) and was told that it was not.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 03:46:24 AM »
Question: Are other players seen simply delayed (but otherwise do exactly the same thing as at the source) or does it try to do some magic to predict the position ahead of latency?

Example: two planes flying side by side, one slightly in front. Can the other see it the other way around? If in a tight formation I fly slightly before the other, does the other see me slightly behind? I don't think I've observed that.

That would mean it is doing some prediction, and if that prediction ends up wrong it has to fix it violently through flip flopping.

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 09:30:29 AM »

Example: two planes flying side by side, one slightly in front. Can the other see it the other way around? If in a tight formation I fly slightly before the other, does the other see me slightly behind? I don't think I've observed that.

Has it ever been noticed in a bomber formation among the 3 planes ?
Ground Pounders ...

Offline wrench

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2020, 10:00:41 AM »
I have seen and filmed this at close range. In the aceshigh film the plane is flying normal evasives (like a barrel roll), yet in real time it appears to flipflop.

I have not filmed it with screen capture s/w which might show something different than the aceshigh film.

I believe this is a case of aceshigh s/w and your pc trying to reconcile the difference between where it thinks the other plane is going, and the other plane's actual position when position updates are received on your pc.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 10:03:34 AM by wrench »
Leave that thing alone!
Relax said the Knight, man, we are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2020, 11:26:05 AM »
Did WBs have the floppy-fish?  I don't recall it.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2020, 12:22:29 PM »
for me it was always something that seemed more apparent in AH3 vs AH2.   

whenever it occurred on my end it was a player in big trouble about to get shot, so full panic stick stirring at low or high speed probably induces it.  Of course soon as the threat passes they resume normal flight.
The Few ***
F.P.H