Author Topic: ME: Image Rendering Error  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
ME: Image Rendering Error
« on: January 25, 2020, 11:39:51 AM »
The top image is the original image (512x512, .jpeg). The bottom image is the same image rendered in game. There seems to be a lot of loss happening. Any particular reason why?

:salute

Original image:

Rendered in game:

10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
Re: ME: Image Rendering Error
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 11:47:27 AM »
Not a loss so much as it appears to be processed as a surface effect that is not normal (square on) to the viewer and with shading effects - you can see this in that the upper edge of the picture is not "level," as you would expect were it facing directly toward the viewer.  Note also that the button surfaces appear offset from the center of the button?  It appears that those buttons are rendered as 3 dimensional objects, but indented rather than standing proud of the surrounding surface.  The light effects on the sides of the buttons seem to mirror this.

Mike

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 11:51:48 AM »
I've run into this before. 

One time I exported the Briefing room and stated pulling it apart in AC3D.  It looked like the briefing screen has a poly object that is positioned in front of image surface that is supposed to simulate a spotlight shining down of the wall.  I suspected that additive effect was washing out the images bit depth. I was going to experiment removing that but I never got around to trying.

Mission briefing are something that have never been used much, so few have ever seen those problems.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 11:52:56 AM »
Not a loss so much as it appears to be processed as a surface effect that is not normal (square on) to the viewer and with shading effects - you can see this in that the upper edge of the picture is not "level," as you would expect were it facing directly toward the viewer.  Note also that the button surfaces appear offset from the center of the button?  It appears that those buttons are rendered as 3 dimensional objects, but indented rather than standing proud of the surrounding surface.  The light effects on the sides of the buttons seem to mirror this.

Mike

Moving the camera position as close to dead center as I can doesn't appear to change the look of the image.

This leads me to believe that the way it's being applied to the screen object might have something to do with. Think of effect layers in photoshop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 12:01:46 PM »
I've run into this before. 

One time I exported the Briefing room and stated pulling it apart in AC3D.  It looked like the briefing screen has a poly object that is positioned in front of image surface that is supposed to simulate a spotlight shining down of the wall.  I suspected that additive effect was washing out the images bit depth. I was going to experiment removing that but I never got around to trying.

Mission briefing are something that have never been used much, so few have ever seen those problems.

If there is a poly effect (a plane, 'er face) simulating light, I think it should be removed and the environment lighting should be relied on instead. Unless that plane is an emitter in which case it could be removed and one area light should be placed in front of the screen between the screen and the first row of chairs using a moderate strength setting.

but... if the environment lights already in place will suffice than there is no need to add another light source or any emitter object.

just my 2 cents

:rock  :salute

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 12:06:26 PM »
If there is a poly effect (a plane, 'er face) simulating light, I think it should be removed and the environment lighting should be relied on instead. Unless that plane is an emitter in which case it could be removed and one area light should be placed in front of the screen between the screen and the first row of chairs using a moderate strength setting.

but... if the environment lights already in place will suffice than there is no need to add another light source or any emitter object.

just my 2 cents

:rock  :salute

Yeah, I had mentioned a similar suggestion to Hitech a while back.  I'll add it to my list with some addition tweaks.  :D
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 01:00:04 PM »
Getting this image to render in Blender 2.8 is super simple. Getting both images above is done through over saturation of the lights in the scene (Sky, Point and Area) though the point and area lights are not on at the same time.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 01:38:32 PM »
Here is the same image, applied to a plane, 1 point light (Strenght: 1000 Watts), three angles.

*** No render settings have been assigned to this plane, it's just using display rendering (not EEVE or Cycles) ***

« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:40:07 PM by Ciaphas »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 09:48:47 AM »
What laws are you talkin about. Also what formats are you saving the image in

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 10:25:35 AM »
What laws are you talkin about. Also what formats are you saving the image in

Not sure about the laws?

The image is .jpeg

In any event, I removed the images of them keys for the moment. They weren't needed in the end.

I will be using them later down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 12:01:25 PM »
Not sure about the laws?

Damn spell-checkers.   :D  I think he meant "loss".

Look at Ciaphas' original post:
   Note the difference in the background color.
   Note the drop shadow below the keys.
   Note the shading of the key bevels.

Luckily his text was high enough contrast that it survived.   However I have put up BW images where a significant portion of the image ended up bleached out to the point of almost being white.

I originally thought there was some kind of spotlight objected shining a  harsh light on it in the briefing room.  But taking the object apart in AC3D I think I remember there was an overlay poly on top of the poly the image gets rendered on  that was maybe trying to add the effect like a gloss.  I didn't get around to trying to remove that and re-importing to see if that fixed it. 

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 12:52:53 PM »
I would prefer to use .png or .tga for image files because of their alpha support. I could also just recreate the image as an 8bit .bmp and see what that does. Should be simple enough. let me test this.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 08:22:37 AM »
Was supposed to be flaws , typo from laws, I.E. I'm not seeing exactly what you think is incorrect.

Post your raw image.

HiTech

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 10:31:49 AM »
Was supposed to be flaws , typo from laws, I.E. I'm not seeing exactly what you think is incorrect.

Post your raw image.

HiTech

This is the raw image:

And this is the image in the briefing room:

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 10:20:15 AM »
An example I had run into:

THis:

Came out like: