Author Topic: Dark Man Cometh???  (Read 126201 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Dark Man Cometh???
« Reply #765 on: March 12, 2020, 08:15:24 PM »
We have somewhere around a 1 million hospital bed capacity in this country.
 About 2% of that ICU capacity.
700,000 of those beds are normally occupied at any one time. 
We only have about 300,000 open hospital beds available.  A very small percentage of that ICU.

My son is a chief resident in radiology at a major US hospital.  He agrees that this is the problem; that most people don't get really sick, but that the ones who do, need ICU care.  The point of the quarantines and such is mainly to slow things down, not to ultimately prevent an unpreventable spread.

Was in Philadelphia and NYC today.  Pretty clear that the governments are panicking quicker than the populace.  Pennsylvania just closed down all the malls, theaters and other "non-essential" businesses where I live, and NYC was talking about shutting down the subways (what a problem THAT will create!)  By contrast, people on the trains and crowds in the cities were noticeably fewer, but there were still a lot of people on the trains and crowds in the cities.  Seemed to me that maybe one in 50 or 75 people are now wearing masks, so it doesn't look like Seoul looks during ordinary times.

- oldman

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #766 on: March 12, 2020, 08:21:23 PM »
It wasn't a reaction, but a statement wondering how this type of "you're over 65, go home, no pills, no test, no assessment" would go over in the U.S. 
Authoritarian regimes might get away with it, but the entitlement and minority populations in the U.S. won't let that fly. Thus the question, are they prepared to position LEO and troops to repel the ones that see that type of dismissal as class/race abuse, and deal with very angry relatives of ones summarily turned away? Anotherwards, martial law?

Absolutely.  As soon as the hospitals are full there will be a cordon of National Guard around the hospital. They will be armed, and they will be authorized to use lethal for to protect the facility.

It's not like people are going to get in the building so they can throw a fit at the reception desk. They aren't even getting on the grounds.  Outside at the cordon there will be a nurse with a box of Tylenol and they'll be handing that out with a flyer giving instructions on how to best weather the illness.  Drink plenty of fluids.  Get plenty of rest.  Good luck.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #767 on: March 12, 2020, 08:29:29 PM »
I live in California and for years it has been known if there's an earthquake with massive casualties.  heart attacks will be the last admitted.  that's life.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #768 on: March 12, 2020, 09:48:13 PM »
Boy, been along time since I've lurked in here and I am seriously not disappointed some of ya'll need to consider your ways.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #769 on: March 12, 2020, 11:40:09 PM »
A sizeable study, published in top-notch medical journal reports taking daily vitamin D supplement reduces odds of getting respiratory infections by about 20%.

Reference:
https://youtu.be/W5yVGmfivAk?t=526

Might want to give it a go in these times of the zombie apocalypse.

(I already get that in my daily multivitamin.)

Note:  might not want to be a nut and take way more than 100% vitamin D/day -- too much perhaps isn't good either.

Good Info

My doctor already has me on 6000 IU.  I thought that was crazy high, but he explained that was high but safe. 
Also note: RDA values do not represent optimum level.  That is the minimum amount required to avoid nutritional disease.  So that should be renamed "Recommended Absolute Minimum".

I'm not prescribing.  :lol YMMV. 
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #770 on: March 13, 2020, 01:43:19 AM »
If you take a supplement of 100% RDA vitamin D, because of food and sunlight, you will get more than 100% RDA.

Some vitamins and minerals start to have harmful effects if you overdo it (vitamin A and iron, for example).

Vitamin D is generally considered safe, but there are some studies that link too-high blood levels of vitamin D to increased risk of heart attack and stroke, such as:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25710567/

That study says more than 100 nmol/L of vitamin D in blood is too high.  You'd need a blood test to see where you are with 6000 IU/day.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 01:46:13 AM by Brooke »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #771 on: March 13, 2020, 03:07:12 AM »
If there's less than 50 nmol/l of vitamin D (actually Calcifediol) in your blood, the amount you take/get may be insufficient. That's the only way to find out how much you'd need it as a supplement.

You get vitamin D from the UVB rays of the Sun, and also from fish. If you're of African origin living in USA or Europe, chances are that your natural sunscreen prevents you getting enough sunlight for sufficient production of vitamin D, the higher North the less production. That's the reason why Northern people aren't black, they're mutated to for improved vitamin D production in less sunlight. Eskimos are the only exception because they get all the vitamin D they need by eating fish and seals.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #773 on: March 13, 2020, 06:57:15 AM »
Duo to the recent developments the company that i work for had to let go of 3 people so far and i had to cut working hours for my partime co workers today. Here in the Netherlands all events are canceled and there is a massive fear for the Corona virus. We also ran out of test's which means someone like me wont get tested, even worse most hospital staff does not get tested.

I am quite positive i caught the virus. However i have very minor symptoms for about a week now. There is not a lot to be scared of, the common cold so far is a much worse experience.

(some insight: I work at the Amsterdam Airport the third biggest EU airport and i interact with hundreds of people everyday. No, i dont work for the customs)

Dutch
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 07:47:57 AM by TWCAxew »
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #774 on: March 13, 2020, 07:02:59 AM »
Your clown cabal is failing you doche bag.

(Image removed from quote.)

Why dont you get out of here with your 44 clown ops share blue damage control post and go continue to suck at Aces High.

Was doing some research and came across this,it's must see TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY8-N8-pn1I

:salute

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #775 on: March 13, 2020, 07:15:47 AM »

I am quite positive i caught the virus. However i have very minor symptoms for about a week now. There is not a lot to be scared of, the common cold so far a much worse experience.

Keep us posted. 
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #776 on: March 13, 2020, 07:17:29 AM »
The U.S. Is On Italy's Coronavirus Trajectory

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #777 on: March 13, 2020, 07:35:05 AM »

Was doing some research and came across this,it's must see TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY8-N8-pn1I

:salute

That's actually pretty good lol.  :aok
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #778 on: March 13, 2020, 07:40:31 AM »
We won't be like Italy. Italy has neglected their healthcare infrastructure and lack the beds and doctors they need.

In 2009 H1N1, which still circulates as a seasonal flu, killed 150,000-500,000 people worldwide in it's first year.

We should be better prepared this time from what we learned 10 years ago.

When people take early active measures to avoid illness, the pandemic is spread out over time so medical care isn't overwhelmed. Slowing the spread also helps if the coming warm weather mitigates the virus.

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #779 on: March 13, 2020, 07:50:46 AM »
Why haven't the CDC taken blood from Chuck Norris?  His white blood cells can cure all diseases.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?