Author Topic: Dark Man Cometh???  (Read 126178 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Dark Man Cometh???
« Reply #915 on: March 14, 2020, 06:32:14 PM »
Lots

100%

:)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #916 on: March 14, 2020, 06:43:59 PM »
Lots

(Image removed from quote.)

100%

:)

Exactly, my friend.  :aok

I took what was said, exaggerated or misstated it, then made claims against the exaggerated version.  Like what happened with the "thoroughly debunked" line about what Taleb says.  For illustrative purposes.  ;)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #917 on: March 14, 2020, 06:46:49 PM »
https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/estimates_2009_h1n1.htm

Dont recall any of these closures and end of world panic media messages back in 2009 - 2010...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21342903

Maybe due to a different political party in power at the time?

I think the cure will turn out to be worse than the disease

<S>

Eagler

This isn't a flu, it's SAR-2.  The 2009 flu is why we have the current reporting mandates that gave us a head start on this disease. 2009 was also a national emergency, it just wasn't headlined by the media.

How many lives need to be saved for the cost to be worth it?

The reason we are taking drastic steps with only a few deaths so far is to avoid overwhelming the hospitals. A conservative estimate is 250,000 people die each year from medical mistakes, it's the third leading cause of death, that would only get worse.

It would be nice if we could trust the numbers from China. Time will tell.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 06:50:49 PM by FLS »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #918 on: March 14, 2020, 06:47:28 PM »
Exactly, my friend.  :aok

I took what was said, exaggerated or misstated it, then made claims against the exaggerated version.  Like what happened with the "thoroughly debunked" line about what Taleb says.  For illustrative purposes.  ;)

But I didn't exaggerate. ;)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #919 on: March 14, 2020, 06:49:33 PM »
But I didn't exaggerate. ;)

Just misstated, then.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #920 on: March 14, 2020, 06:50:39 PM »
Just misstated, then.

No. Don't think so.  :)

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #921 on: March 14, 2020, 07:20:26 PM »
Latest from Ohio

"Ohio official was 'guesstimating' statement that 100,000 people have coronavirus"

This is not the time to be "Guesstimating" if you don't know don't say anything

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ohio-official-was-guesstimating-statement-that-100000-people-have-coronavirus/ar-BB11afAE?ocid=spartandhp

Hungry
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #922 on: March 14, 2020, 07:54:28 PM »
I'm always amused at the people who's defensive reaction to information that is uncomfortable for them is, "stop panicking!"
It's not panic.  It's simply information they are not comfortable hearing. 

Yes. it is panic and the information being spewed by the media. isnt information its misinformation.

Hundreds of thousands of American's will probably die from this between now and when we get a vaccine.  I don't minimize that loss just because most might be over 60.
No. Hundreds of thousands of Americans will likely not die. That is more misinformation

Millions more are going to have the educations, careers, and family lives disrupted by major illness and hospitalization that might leave their lungs permanently damaged.
Again..False claim with no basis in fact

Tens of millions more will lose jobs and businesses and retirement money.  Anyone trying to minimize the impact this is going to cause, hasn't thought it through or has been watching too much Fox News.

While the people with stacked carts look silly, there is some logic to it.  It is my policy and what I've recommended to friends and family is when you go to the store, stock up as much as you possibly can.  That is not panic.  That is risk mitigation.  That allows you longer periods of time before you have to go back for more.  Every trips to a grocery store is another risk of contamination.  Reducing the frequency you have to be exposed to that, reduces you risk.
It absolutely is 100% panic. You also put others at risk because of your self serving greed there might not be enough for everyone to go around. which long term raises the risk of major civil unrest. Every time you leave the house is a risk

And given the nature of exponential infection, is is safer to stand in the lines now than it will be two weeks from now.  My advice is to go every day now and load up the maximum you can until you are out of freezer and storage space.  That way you can hunker down for a long time. There is no waste.  If we got a vaccine tomorrow, you just have a lot of supplies that you can eat down over time (avoid perishables).  Risk/reward game theory suggests load up those carts now.  And when you finally have to go back, load up to the maximum again so you can get so you optimize reward for risk and not have to do that very often.

Luckily my carnivore diet has simplified things greatly.  All I need is meat, salt, and water.  I have chest freezers here and at the cabin filled with hundreds of pounds of grass-fed beef and organs.  very high nutrition:volume ratio.  And when I need more, it's online ordered from a Texas ranch and they ship it to me and leave it in front of my door.  I order in volume.  :D And I highly doubt the electricity with cut off or the water will stop coming out of the tap. I could go months without going into a grocery store if I had to.
All you are doing is irrationally feeding paranoia which leads to irrational panic. You and people like you are every bit as dangerous as the virus. Maybe even moreso
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #923 on: March 14, 2020, 07:55:58 PM »
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #924 on: March 14, 2020, 08:00:07 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:rofl  :aok

Not just Corona, but Corona Extra!  :aok
You know what the cure is. right?
Limes

Just keep lots of limes on hand
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #925 on: March 14, 2020, 08:04:04 PM »
Just heard on the radio that only 15,000 tests have been done to date (which seems really low - I am not sure what time frame they are talking about) but a bigger factor is where you are and if your state has stepped in or not to pickup testing.

Edit: Maybe the 15K is federal tests?
Yes. 15,000 tests and those that are testing postive amount thus far to 1%
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #926 on: March 14, 2020, 08:07:03 PM »
Just a couple of guess's

He's a liberal democrat
He's enjoying seeing DS take a beating
He's trying to get Coved-19 info out there
He wants to see just how far some will go with the name calling and insults
He's busy elsewhere

Shame. this could have been a very good informative thread, sharing local information and current news from your area of the country, maybe it can still get back on track, we need to share reliable information, this is serious

Same topic in the Jayco RV forum has been warned and got off track a little but is still going with good info

Hungry (wife and I are in the over 60 crowd, wife has had colon cancer and I'm working on 67)
If you are referring to me. I am neither a liberal nor a Democrat.
Nor am I a Republican
Only retards go gaga over parties
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #927 on: March 14, 2020, 08:12:04 PM »
If you are referring to me. I am neither a liberal nor a Democrat.
Nor am I a Republican
Only retards go gaga over parties

He was offering potential scenarios for HT not locking this thread.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #928 on: March 14, 2020, 08:12:45 PM »
No. Don't think so.  :)

I believe the theory that idiots that shun intelligence have as much if not more sense than the 'densest' of intellectuals has been thoroughly debunked.

According to you, this is Taleb's "theory":

idiots (that shun true intelligence) > dense intellectuals

According to Taleb:

average people (that shun idiocy/fake intelligence) > idiot intellectuals

You are misstating his position unless you think (average people) = idiots; (Idiocy/fake intelligence) = (true intelligence).

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #929 on: March 14, 2020, 08:16:04 PM »
Just keep lots of limes on hand

I drink lime juice in my water frequently!  Yay!  (Actually, it is recommended, that and/or lemon juice, if you have calcium oxalate kidney stones, which is my issue.)