Author Topic: Dark Man Cometh???  (Read 126197 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: Dark Man Cometh???
« Reply #960 on: March 15, 2020, 09:45:38 AM »
Oh, I think you're going to find the virus a lot more dangerous than me. 
And I will accept your apology later. 

If you're still around.

If I'm still around.  :rofl
Even IF the virus turns out to be twice as bad as even you predict. YOU and those like you are still more dangerous because you condone greedily hording items when not only you needs them. This can lead to large areas of civil unrest and people killing each other in the streets and more people then you can shoot at coming for your stuff too out of desperation.
And killing people is funny. Its all tough guy and badass to SAY you are willing to do it right up to the point where you might have to. People get buck fever all the time. You think its any easier to shoot humans?
This is why eventually if it gets real bad. Everything will become rationed. Just like a communist society because people like YOU cant just take what you need. You have to take it all
And at some point. Even you will run out of something you need.

Your sir. Are an arse. And a dangerous one at that.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #961 on: March 15, 2020, 09:52:26 AM »

Lighten up, Francis.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #962 on: March 15, 2020, 10:01:25 AM »
Even IF the virus turns out to be twice as bad as even you predict. YOU and those like you are still more dangerous because you condone greedily hording items when not only you needs them. This can lead to large areas of civil unrest and people killing each other in the streets and more people then you can shoot at coming for your stuff too out of desperation.
And killing people is funny. Its all tough guy and badass to SAY you are willing to do it right up to the point where you might have to. People get buck fever all the time. You think its any easier to shoot humans?
This is why eventually if it gets real bad. Everything will become rationed. Just like a communist society because people like YOU cant just take what you need. You have to take it all
And at some point. Even you will run out of something you need.

Calm down.  You are becoming irrational.  Note that I have not felt the need to respond to your repeated personal insults.

People are, and should be, stocking up on items they might need to weather an extended period of isolation at home with all family members present.  Schools are closing.  Places of work are closing.  A family of 4, with everyone at home, can go though a lot of toilet paper over the course of a month.  Or two.  Or three. They go through a lot more than normal because family members aren't using restroom facilities at work or at school.  They're home-bound.

It makes sense to load up now so you don't have to keep going back to the store every week.  Each trip to the store is another risk event where you could get infected and bring it back to your family.  The risks are lower now, but will get worse quickly.  If you can get what you need for a while now, you are reducing your total risk.

And I've already recommended avoid stocking up on perishables.  But toilet paper has a pretty good shelf like and I can guarantee one way or another, you will eventually use it up.  ;)  Meat in my chest freezers lasts a year or more.

If you personally don't wish to stock up, then don't.  No one is holding a gun to your head.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 10:04:52 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #963 on: March 15, 2020, 11:00:55 AM »
Our oldest child and her partner have bad coughs/aches/fevers.  They have been isolated.  They live in rural KY.

To be honest, we are not really sure what to do right now.

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #964 on: March 15, 2020, 11:07:05 AM »
Best wishes for your family. They will probably be fine. Medical facilities are not stressed yet.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #965 on: March 15, 2020, 11:15:53 AM »
Our oldest child and her partner have bad coughs/aches/fevers.  They have been isolated.  They live in rural KY.

Sorry to hear that.

Remember that the majority of people get though it with no problems.

Hope they can get tested quickly.

Best wishes.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #966 on: March 15, 2020, 12:12:06 PM »

3 months of supplies. 

I think that is a cautious ideal number, but not unreasonable.  I know that sounds crazy, but the way you thought last month needs to change.

If someone welded your door shut tonight, could you sit it out for 3 months with what you have on hand?

If not, I would work on that over the next week. 

Avoid perishables.  Throw out the ice-cream you have in your freezer and stock it with meat, fish, chicken.  Organ meats like liver have amazing nutritional value relative to the space they take up.  I don't care if you don't like the taste.  Harden up.  ;)  Canned goods.  dried rice and pasta beans.  I wouldn't bother with bottled water unless you live in Flynt.  :O  I doubt we will lose water.  Still, I have two 5 gallon jugs in the closet in case there is a temporary interruption.

If you can only get a months worth, then get a months worth.  Don't panic, but don't ignore the situation.  It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
You can always eat it sooner or later.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #967 on: March 15, 2020, 12:25:27 PM »

About all you can do is pray and possibly send them supplies (include Gatorade for electrolytes/canned food that can be heat and eat or even eat out of the can/over the counter fever reduction pain relievers). May they both weather and recover. If they started out young and healthy then they'll likely be fine.

Thoughts with you and yours.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #968 on: March 15, 2020, 12:32:57 PM »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #969 on: March 15, 2020, 12:36:43 PM »

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #970 on: March 15, 2020, 01:22:49 PM »
P.S.  I hope in 12 months I can come back to this thread and you can all laugh at me for having been completely wrong.
I think you are completely right about the problems to come, but I disagree with the cause. I think that the major problems to come are because of irrational behaviour of people, not the infection. People have already seen empty shelves so that has become the reality for them, so people will probably continue grabbing what they can. This also means that people who need some items right now have problems getting them. There are many jobs that need breathing protection for example, but these are out of stock everywhere.

Also the Coronavirus does not make other problems like different diseases, natural disaters etc go away. With increase in stress level, the likelyhood of other problems like work related accidents, traffic accidents, domestic fires, power outage etc happening will probably increase. If people can`t find toilet paper they want at a reasonable price and start using anything other than toilet paper and flushing that down the toilet then probability of sewage blockage increases and so on. I think people have become the main cause of economic problems to come, not the infection.
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #971 on: March 15, 2020, 01:27:37 PM »
For all you who think this is all a MSM/Obama/Soros plot and it is all being made up and anyone who is trying to convey the danger of the situation, so we can know what they are facing, is just panicking; this should be an interesting read.

This is the Nation Review.  Probably the premier Conservative publication in our country.  More so than Washington Times, more so than WSJ.  Founded by the father of the modern American Conservative movement, William F. Buckley.

So, it's not like I'm quoting MSNBC or something:

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/coronavirus-vs-the-flu-the-difference-between-a-1-and-0-1-fatality-rate-is-huge/?utm_source=recirc-desktop&utm_medium=homepage&utm_campaign=right-rail&utm_content=corner&utm_term=first
Most experts agree that the mortality rate will more then likely fall to a fraction of what is being reported now as more data comes in. Remember. We have nearly 100 years of flu data and only less then 3 months of data on this specific strain of Corona. And AGAIN
 The mortality rate seems to be limiting itself on specific subsets with specific underlying conditions of the population.
We dont yet know how many people who have had it and merely thought they had a mild bug and survived it without ever going to a doctor which they think may be many times more then the confirmed cases.
This mortality rate is only based on confirmed cases of those tested. We know those who died to be pretty accurate because autopsies can confirm. what we dont know is if those sniffles and mild cough you or I had a few weeks ago that we didnt go to the doctor and recovered on our own for was indeed Coronavirus.
This is way too early in the process to definitively say anything.
As I keep saying. Be concerned but be rational. Not ridiculous.
Most of us would avoid anything that would carry an increased risk of getting even the regular flu. In that regard this is no different. Follow the same protocol they actually want you to do for that.
Getting some supplies is rational
Hoarding supplies is ridiculous and only leaves a shortage for everyone. Be rational. You are NOT going to realistically be able to lock yourself inside your house for a month or more even if you have the supplies to do so. Its like wearing a N95 mask. Yea. You will do it for a short while. then you are going to get so annoyed with it that you are going to say screw it. Think not?
do this test. Buy the cheapest level dust mask you can find. Those are also THE most comfortable to wear. then fit it properly. Pinch it around the nose and make sure you have an air tight seal all the way around. BTW if you want to really do it right. You will need to shave that beard too as beards prevent an air tight seal. Now leave it alone. Dont even tough it or readjust it to be more comfortable. This isnt about comfort. Its about survival remember? Now walkaround the house and do whatever it is you normally will be doing throughout the day. remember. DONT touch it or take it off. Now. Lets see how long you can manage that for before you lift to get cool air, adjust it or move it even to scratch your nose. 98% of the population cant handle more then 1/2 hour
  We are a species of movers and socializers we instinctively need to be around other people. We hate being imprisoned and isolated which is exactly what you are going to try and do to yourself.
Everybody in a family loves each other right up to the point where they are locked up together. Then it all starts breaking down and before long they are at each others throats

Now if people DONT hoard And just shop as they normally do. They will end up ion places at much lower numbers which is safer for everyone and there will be enough to go around for everyone. Creating shortages because of hording morons will only lead to people congregating in larger masses to try and get what they need before that supply runs out.

Be concerned. Yes. Nobody wants to get this thing no matter how mild they get it.
But be rational. NOT ridiculous
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #972 on: March 15, 2020, 01:45:11 PM »
I think you are completely right about the problems to come, but I disagree with the cause. I think that the major problems to come are because of irrational behaviour of people, not the infection.

OKie dokie.

I'll continue to prepare as I see fit.  I'll leave it to you to do what you think is best for your situation.

Good luck.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #973 on: March 15, 2020, 01:48:13 PM »
Most experts agree that the mortality rate will more then likely fall to a fraction of what is being reported now as more data comes in.

That was already taken into account in that article. 

The current WHO estimate of CFR is 3.4% not 1%.  They were already giving the numbers a significant benefit of the doubt.

I'll continue to prepare as I see fit.  I'll leave it to you to do what you think is best for your situation.

Good luck.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #974 on: March 15, 2020, 01:54:31 PM »
3 months of supplies. 

I think that is a cautious ideal number, but not unreasonable.  I know that sounds crazy, but the way you thought last month needs to change.

If someone welded your door shut tonight, could you sit it out for 3 months with what you have on hand?

If not, I would work on that over the next week. 

Avoid perishables.  Throw out the ice-cream you have in your freezer and stock it with meat, fish, chicken.  Organ meats like liver have amazing nutritional value relative to the space they take up.  I don't care if you don't like the taste.  Harden up.  ;)  Canned goods.  dried rice and pasta beans.  I wouldn't bother with bottled water unless you live in Flynt.  :O  I doubt we will lose water.  Still, I have two 5 gallon jugs in the closet in case there is a temporary interruption.

If you can only get a months worth, then get a months worth.  Don't panic, but don't ignore the situation.  It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
You can always eat it sooner or later.

This is a virus in which has at least a 96.5% survival rate.
NOT the zombie apocalypse.

And no I wont be apologizing. If there was even the remotest chance of me being wrong. I wouldn't bother arguing.
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty