Author Topic: Dark Man Cometh???  (Read 126198 times)

Online Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Re: Dark Man Cometh???
« Reply #1440 on: March 22, 2020, 12:05:31 PM »
 :devil
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #1441 on: March 22, 2020, 12:07:46 PM »
This is a great local story:

Md. company donates 14,000 masks to state health department

https://wtop.com/anne-arundel-county/2020/03/md-company-donates-14000-masks-to-state-health-department/
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1442 on: March 22, 2020, 12:13:46 PM »
This is a great local story:

Md. company donates 14,000 masks to state health department

https://wtop.com/anne-arundel-county/2020/03/md-company-donates-14000-masks-to-state-health-department/

Every bit helps.  Survival is going to be a game of inches.

One thing I don't quite grasp is, given the viable time on surfaces numbers I've seen, couldn't used masks be stored for a week or two and then be considered safe for reuse? 

Wouldn't be my first choice, but if it came down to that or a bandanna in the later stage of the crisis I might take my chances with a properly aged N95. 

:headscratch:

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1443 on: March 22, 2020, 12:20:52 PM »
Maybe expose the masks to high intensity UV light? Some newer commercial HVAC systems have that built into the duct system with the exact idea of killing pathogens as they pass. Wonder why that hasn't been floated.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1444 on: March 22, 2020, 12:31:16 PM »
Quote from: FLS on Today at 12:14:57 PM

And the CDC and WHO basically lied to us about the effectiveness of masks for healthy people to mitigate the epidemic because they knew they needed them for medical staff.
I will admit to having been wrong to underplay the utility of masks for the general public.  [/color]

My original argument was that people were putting on their little cotton masks and completely ignoring their un-gloved hands and what they were touching.

However, now it is starting to look like this thing is easily aerosolized, and maybe can stay suspended quite some time and even be distributed by ventilation systems.

What a mess.

The WHO didnt lie. and Trips is partially correct.
The problem with the public wearing masks is a few things.
Yes it creates a shortage for health care workers who legitimately need them as they are many times more at risk then Joe on the street. And we NEED our healthcare workers to not be sick to deal with this.

Plus. 95% of people wearing masks do so incorrectly. Or they start messing with them after a short time. Or they when they take them off they grab the mask by the front and just plop them down anywhere and then re use them over and over. Each and every one of these things serves to render them as nearly as useless as if you hadn't worn anything at all and creates a situation where you potentially have what is called cross contamination.
Whenever I see people wearing masks I let them know of my experience and dont tell them that they shouldnt wear them. I simply tell them that they can wear them if it makes them feel more comfortable. but if they are going to wear them then they need to follow some rules if they want to have any hope of them being even partially effective. You want a complete seal around the face. Pinch the metal tabs around the nose and make sure you have no gaps. and for heavens sake. No matter how uncomfortable you feel Dont fiddle with them until you are taking it off. then you take it off by the bands. Oh. And shave your beards as this creates a pathway for things to get in. the only time i said otherwise is i saw a man who's mask was not only improperly fitted. But you can tell he used for a long time as it was positively filthy. AND he kept messing with it with ungloved hands. To him I told hi he was probably better off wearing nothing at all.
Trips argument about wearing a mask but ignoring their ungloved hands is entirely correct. What good is the mask if your hands and clothing are contaminated.
 Standard procedure in hospitals (until this outbreak) was you remove the masks by the elastic and discard them upon leaving an area which might be contaminated each time, every time. And typically if you are trying to protect yourself from something that is or could be air borne or as Trips put it "aerosolized" (atomized) then you need to protect yourself from head to toe. That means disposable hair net, face sheild or some sort of eye protection, Mask, Gown (in hospitals they often have two types. Disposable or those that are washed), Gloves, and foot covering (booties) Each of which is supposed to be worn in, and then changed out each time , every time you leave a potentially contaminated area. Anything disposable, net,masks, gloves,booties, goes into the red trash bags. And non disposable gowns go into a hamper.. Then you are to follow up with a 20 second wash before you leave the area.

Remember especially if it is easily atomized. You dont want to protect just your  airway. But your skin and clothing as well.
Back to the general population and health care workers. I just provided the standard hospital procedures or at least as they were 20 years ago. While not a doctor or actual health care provider myself. I was a foreman in part of what was called the Engineering Dept. As such, in my duties there was not a single area of the hospital I was not required at one point or another to go into and spend significant time in. As such we were then as I am know still because my wife still works there that most hospital workers are from Doctors right down to the janitors drilled as to proper procedure into entering and leaving sterile and/or potentially infectious areas. Then as it is now. it isnt just about protecting yourself. But others as well.
As I mentioned. they are many times more at risk then you or I just by the nature of their jobs. and the general public is VERY highly unlikely to properly protect themselves even with properly using the masks.
These things are needed far more for the health care workers.
I dont know about elsewhere. But I know in my area, some of the health care facilities now as a part of policy have implemented a health care worker first policy. Meaning health care workers get treated first and have first dibs on bed space if needed. In some places even over someone who might be in a more serious condition.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1445 on: March 22, 2020, 12:32:50 PM »
Maybe expose the masks to high intensity UV light? Some newer commercial HVAC systems have that built into the duct system with the exact idea of killing pathogens as they pass. Wonder why that hasn't been floated.

You read my mind. (Don't reveal the other stuff.)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1446 on: March 22, 2020, 12:35:51 PM »

I was reading an article yesterday Ill have to see if I can find the link where they had done some studies on decontaminating some of the  masks made by 3M using various methods with varying success.
One of the methods was to mist them masks with alcohol or hydrogen peroxide until damp and let them air dry in a safe area.
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1447 on: March 22, 2020, 12:36:32 PM »
You read my mind. (Don't reveal the other stuff.)

Wait, so those sheep dressed in pink frills are not UV Light technicians? :headscratch:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #1448 on: March 22, 2020, 12:39:52 PM »
I agree that health care staff need the limited masks available but there is a good argument that masks are a factor in South Korea's low numbers. They would also help reduce the asymptomatic people spreading the virus.

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #1449 on: March 22, 2020, 12:50:02 PM »
One thing I don't quite grasp is, given the viable time on surfaces numbers I've seen, couldn't used masks be stored for a week or two and then be considered safe for reuse? 

Wouldn't be my first choice, but if it came down to that or a bandanna in the later stage of the crisis I might take my chances with a properly aged N95. 

:headscratch:

I have been thinking along the the same lines for a few days.

In no particular order:

This thing appears to die off on soft surfaces in about 24 hours - even on NON-PAINTED cardboard.  If I am reading reports correctly, in part it dies off b/c it dries up.  Add moisture as a factor and I do not what that might mean.  Having worn different masks recently, I can tell you that moisture does build up to different levels with different products.  A proper vent value seems to help a lot.

Will a used infected mask, perhaps incorrectly stored, act as a sort of petri dish?

I think that N95 masks need to have a 1 micron filter (please correct me if I am wrong).  I would expect fabric fatigue and failure at some point, and my guess is that that failure point would be undetectable without special equipment.

N95 Masks are only a small part of the protective clothing that front line medical staff need.  I do not think that we talk about the other items b/c we have a much easier time relating to something that we can see ourselves using.

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1450 on: March 22, 2020, 12:56:19 PM »

I think that N95 masks need to have a 1 micron filter (please correct me if I am wrong).  I would expect fabric fatigue and failure at some point, and my guess is that that failure point would be undetectable without special equipment.

" (0.3 micron) test particles." As per the FDA

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-infection-control/n95-respirators-and-surgical-masks-face-masks

As for fabric fatigue. This would be another reason for other then to properly fit it when first putting it on, to handle it by the elastic
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #1451 on: March 22, 2020, 12:58:56 PM »
Quote from: FLS on Today at 12:14:57 PM

And the CDC and WHO basically lied to us about the effectiveness of masks for healthy people to mitigate the epidemic because they knew they needed them for medical staff.
The WHO didnt lie. and Trips is partially correct.
The problem with the public wearing masks is a few things.
Yes it creates a shortage for health care workers who legitimately need them as they are many times more at risk then Joe on the street. And we NEED our healthcare workers to not be sick to deal with this.

Plus. 95% of people wearing masks do so incorrectly. Or they start messing with them after a short time. Or they when they take them off they grab the mask by the front and just plop them down anywhere and then re use them over and over. Each and every one of these things serves to render them as nearly as useless as if you hadn't worn anything at all and creates a situation where you potentially have what is called cross contamination.
Whenever I see people wearing masks I let them know of my experience and dont tell them that they shouldnt wear them. I simply tell them that they can wear them if it makes them feel more comfortable. but if they are going to wear them then they need to follow some rules if they want to have any hope of them being even partially effective. You want a complete seal around the face. Pinch the metal tabs around the nose and make sure you have no gaps. and for heavens sake. No matter how uncomfortable you feel Dont fiddle with them until you are taking it off. then you take it off by the bands. Oh. And shave your beards as this creates a pathway for things to get in. the only time i said otherwise is i saw a man who's mask was not only improperly fitted. But you can tell he used for a long time as it was positively filthy. AND he kept messing with it with ungloved hands. To him I told hi he was probably better off wearing nothing at all.
Trips argument about wearing a mask but ignoring their ungloved hands is entirely correct. What good is the mask if your hands and clothing are contaminated.
 Standard procedure in hospitals (until this outbreak) was you remove the masks by the elastic and discard them upon leaving an area which might be contaminated each time, every time. And typically if you are trying to protect yourself from something that is or could be air borne or as Trips put it "aerosolized" (atomized) then you need to protect yourself from head to toe. That means disposable hair net, face sheild or some sort of eye protection, Mask, Gown (in hospitals they often have two types. Disposable or those that are washed), Gloves, and foot covering (booties) Each of which is supposed to be worn in, and then changed out each time , every time you leave a potentially contaminated area. Anything disposable, net,masks, gloves,booties, goes into the red trash bags. And non disposable gowns go into a hamper.. Then you are to follow up with a 20 second wash before you leave the area.

Remember especially if it is easily atomized. You dont want to protect just your  airway. But your skin and clothing as well.
Back to the general population and health care workers. I just provided the standard hospital procedures or at least as they were 20 years ago. While not a doctor or actual health care provider myself. I was a foreman in part of what was called the Engineering Dept. As such, in my duties there was not a single area of the hospital I was not required at one point or another to go into and spend significant time in. As such we were then as I am know still because my wife still works there that most hospital workers are from Doctors right down to the janitors drilled as to proper procedure into entering and leaving sterile and/or potentially infectious areas. Then as it is now. it isnt just about protecting yourself. But others as well.
As I mentioned. they are many times more at risk then you or I just by the nature of their jobs. and the general public is VERY highly unlikely to properly protect themselves even with properly using the masks.
These things are needed far more for the health care workers.
I dont know about elsewhere. But I know in my area, some of the health care facilities now as a part of policy have implemented a health care worker first policy. Meaning health care workers get treated first and have first dibs on bed space if needed. In some places even over someone who might be in a more serious condition.

Very informative.  Thanks for post.
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1452 on: March 22, 2020, 12:59:23 PM »

Yeah, but we're comparing that risk with them suggesting you use a bandanna at some point.  What's the micron pass size of a bandanna from Walmart? Which pair of dice would you prefer to roll?

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #1454 on: March 22, 2020, 01:07:51 PM »

Yeah, but we're comparing that risk with them suggesting you use a bandanna at some point.  What's the micron pass size of a bandanna from Walmart? Which pair of dice would you prefer to roll?

Given the shortage, I would preffer to give my roll of the die to a front line medical worker who probably knows how to use the dam thing.

The only expectation would be if I was sick.  I would then put one on in an attempt to protect others.
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew