Author Topic: Dark Man Cometh???  (Read 126186 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
Re: Dark Man Cometh???
« Reply #1456 on: March 22, 2020, 01:09:11 PM »
Maybe expose the masks to high intensity UV light? Some newer commercial HVAC systems have that built into the duct system with the exact idea of killing pathogens as they pass. Wonder why that hasn't been floated.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
I think UV light works better in clear medium also as UV-C is a mutagen I imagine one might cause a mutation if not used correctly or device is faulty. Also many different forms of diseases could start living in a mask that has been used so probably throwing away single use masks and filters is best.

As masks are limited resource in my country at the moment, the official recommendation is to leave medical masks for hospital and to those who are sick and other types of masks also to those who can help other people.
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1457 on: March 22, 2020, 01:10:37 PM »
Given the shortage, I would preffer to give my roll of the die to a front line medical worker who probably knows how to use the dam thing.

The only expectation would be if I was sick.  I would then put one on in an attempt to protect others.

You missed my point.  The CDC is telling medical workers they might have to resort to bandannas at some point if all masks are exhausted. 

If you were a medical worker on the front line, would you trust a Walmart bandanna or roll the dice with a used (sterilized?) N95 mask?

[Edit]  My Mom is going to sew a bunch of these and start mailing them to our friends and relatives.  Oh well.  It will give her something to do in quarantine.  ;)
https://buttoncounter.com/2018/01/14/facemask-a-picture-tutorial/

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 01:14:48 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #1458 on: March 22, 2020, 02:01:08 PM »
You missed my point.  The CDC is telling medical workers they might have to resort to bandannas at some point if all masks are exhausted. 

If you were a medical worker on the front line, would you trust a Walmart bandanna or roll the dice with a used (sterilized?) N95 mask?

[Edit]  My Mom is going to sew a bunch of these and start mailing them to our friends and relatives.  Oh well.  It will give her something to do in quarantine.  ;)
https://buttoncounter.com/2018/01/14/facemask-a-picture-tutorial/

OK copy now.  See your point.

BTW I sew too.  I have a Singer 328K from 1962.  Used it last year make some Xmas gifts.  Maybe I should make some masks as well....
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 02:02:39 PM by SysError »
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1459 on: March 22, 2020, 02:05:32 PM »
OK copy now.  See your point.

BTW I sew too.  I have a Singer 328K from 1962.  Used it last year make some Xmas gifts.  Maybe I should make some masks as well....

I think there are sites you an google where you can even donate made masks to be send to frontline health workers for emergency use.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1460 on: March 22, 2020, 02:42:39 PM »
whoooh Boy!

Above-Top Secret contingency plans already exist for what the military is supposed to do if all the Constitutional successors are incapacitated. Standby orders were issued more than three weeks ago to ready these plans, not just to protect Washington but also to prepare for the possibility of some form of martial law.

According to new documents and interviews with military experts, the various plans – codenamed Octagon, Freejack and Zodiac – are the underground laws to ensure government continuity.

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-inside-militarys-top-secret-plans-if-coronavirus-cripples-government-1492878

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 02:50:16 PM by CptTrips »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #1461 on: March 22, 2020, 02:56:31 PM »
I have decided to put off a series of tests that two of my doctors had urged me to undertake.

I will not risk bringing this thing home and impacting the rest of my family.

In my family, there were some doctor visits scheduled for non-essential things (looking at a sore shoulder) and some more-essential things (regarding necessary medications).

We cancelled the non-essential ones, but we are keeping the more-essential ones subject to the following steps.

Family member will:
-- Wear n95 mask from time of exiting car onward.
-- Not rub eyes, pick nose, or touch face during visit.
-- Keep separation from other people as possible.
-- Thoroughly disinfect hands with sanitizer after visit before touching car keys, door handle, etc., or entering car.
-- Once home, take off mask by straps and dispose in outside trash.
-- Disinfect hands again before touching door knob to enter house.
-- Upon entry to house, take off shoes and clothes.
-- Clothes go right into open washing machine.
-- Travel right to location of next step without touching anything else in house.
-- Wash hands and face with soap and water, or better yet take a shower.
-- Put on fresh clothes.
-- Go back and close the washing machine and start it washing.
-- Use alcohol to rub down any credit or medical cards used, then wash hands.

I do some of these steps even for visiting the gas station with no-one else around me, namely:
-- Thoroughly disinfect hands with sanitizer after visit before touching car keys, door handle, etc., or entering car.
-- Use alcohol to rub down any credit cards used, then wash hands.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1462 on: March 22, 2020, 03:31:36 PM »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tjmccue/2020/03/20/calling-all-people-who-sew-and-make-you-can-help-solve-2020-n95-type-mask-shortage/#3a3fc3f64e41

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #1463 on: March 22, 2020, 03:36:22 PM »
In my family, there were some doctor visits scheduled for non-essential things (looking at a sore shoulder) and some more-essential things (regarding necessary medications).

We cancelled the non-essential ones, but we are keeping the more-essential ones subject to the following steps.

Family member will:
-- Wear n95 mask from time of exiting car onward.
-- Keep separation from other people as possible.
-- Once home, take off mask by straps and dispose in outside trash.
-- Upon entry to house, take off shoes and clothes.
-- Clothes go right into open washing machine.
-- Travel right to location of next step without touching anything else in house.
-- Wash hands and face with soap and water, or better yet take a shower.
-- Put on fresh clothes.
-- Go back and close the washing machine and start it washing.
-- Use alcohol to rub down any credit or medical cards used, then wash hands.

I do some of these steps even for visiting the gas station with no-one else around me, namely:
-- Use alcohol to rub down any credit cards used, then wash hands.

Great tips.

We try to follow similar steps.  You have spelled it out nicely.  I think that I will copy and print your list and tape it up next to the entrance doors.

One issue that I have had is not touching my face when outside.  I would guess that I am OK 95% of the time, which probably means that I am OK only 75% of the time.  Next time I go out I will wear my full face shop shield and see how that works.

(Although I don't have an N95 mask, the mask that I do use most is large and black and together with the full brim hat I wear, I scare most people into a safe social distance.  The face shield should only help in that regard.)

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1464 on: March 22, 2020, 03:41:03 PM »
whoooh Boy!

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-inside-militarys-top-secret-plans-if-coronavirus-cripples-government-1492878

plans dio secret that everybody knows their name.  and experts reveal there basics of the plans.

I wouldn't say they're secret.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #1465 on: March 22, 2020, 03:43:05 PM »
Some thoughts on masks.

N95 masks are tested against 0.3 micron particles and have to get rid of 95% of those.  The masks are more efficient than that both for particles larger than 0.3 microns and for particles *less* than 0.3 microns.

This might seem weird, that efficiency goes up for smaller particles, but it is due to smaller particles being more susceptible to adhering to the surfaces in the filter even when the particles are smaller than the pore size.

A filter's response vs. particle size looks like the following.  For an n95 mask, though, the lowest point of the following curve would be 0.95 (not 0.5, as is shown in the generic graph):

SARS-CoV-2 is supposedly in the 0.05 to 0.2 microns range.

Masks help protect you from inhaling viruses and bacteria.  How well they do that depends on the rating of the mask and how well it seals to your face.  Even if a mask does not seal perfectly to your face, though, it is still filtering some portion of the air you breath.  Let's say you have a mask that is 100% efficient, but some air leaks in around the edges.  If 80% of the air is still going through the filter, you'd at least still have an 80% mask, which is drastically better than no mask.

Even a mask that doesn't filter anything keeps you from inadvertently touching your mouth or nose.  That is a huge benefit to any mask, even if it doesn't filter any particles.

Masks also protect others from *you*.  If you cough, sneeze, spray a little while you talk -- even a crappy mask keeps aerosolized droplets from going into the air around you and onto surfaces around you.  And it keeps you from inadvertently touching your lips or nose and then touching a doorknob or desk surface.

When the government says that masks have no benefit for you, it is a complete lie.  No, masks aren't 100% effective.  No, a crappy mask isn't going to filter out viruses.  But any mask has benefit to you (keeping you from touching your mouth and nose) and to others (keeping you from sneezing or coughing out aerosol, keeping you from touching your mouth or nose and then doorknobs).  Also, an n95 mask will filter out viruses to the extent that it seals on your face -- and even if it isn't a perfect seal, it will be filtering out some portion of stuff, which is far better than zero filtration.

I understand the reason:  you don't want citizens hogging up all the masks leaving too little for the healthcare system.  But governments should forgo saying rediculous crap like:  "Masks don't have any benefit.  But we do want lots more of them for healthcare workers."  The truth is, if we had enough masks, the government would be saying, "Please everyone, please wear masks when you are out and about -- like folks in Asian countries do."

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #1466 on: March 22, 2020, 03:52:46 PM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tjmccue/2020/03/20/calling-all-people-who-sew-and-make-you-can-help-solve-2020-n95-type-mask-shortage/#3a3fc3f64e41

There really is not much to this.  I could knock some out no problem.  It looks like a real easy pattern. 

I will go and try to find some high tread count cotton tomorrow.  (I am not sure if another type of fabric (that i can buy) would work better.)  (maybe I can find something to layer in there that would improve its function - don't know right now).
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #1467 on: March 22, 2020, 03:58:47 PM »
Even a mask that doesn't filter anything keeps you from inadvertently touching your mouth or nose.  That is a huge benefit to any mask, even if it doesn't filter any particles.

Right now, in the US, they can also scare people to a safe social distance.   :old:

The truth is, if we had enough masks, the government would be saying, "Please everyone, please wear masks when you are out and about -- like folks in Asian countries do."

Probably so.
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1468 on: March 22, 2020, 04:26:12 PM »
plans dio secret that everybody knows their name.  and experts reveal there basics of the plans.

I wouldn't say they're secret.

Secrets get leaked by people who think the public ought to know.

Pentagon Papers

Edward Snowden

etc.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member