Author Topic: Capturable Strategic Targets Cont.  (Read 606 times)

Offline -raxx-

• Copper Member
Capturable Strategic Targets Cont.
« on: August 12, 2000, 10:57:00 PM »
I can't add to the thread started here.
 http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum55/HTML/000033.html  as I get an error about the forum name not being the same.  I guess it's a hiccup with the changes to the Board.

Camo,

Of course, if the nearby airfield is captured, then the enemy can destroy the city quite easily. One solution would be to place a large airfield with huge ack batteries there, making it very tough to capture.

That's what I'm doing but the 88mm AAA batteries are placed away from the city in ones and twos, (there are lots of smaller AAA guns at the city itself).  This means that bomber raids would need ground attack aircraft to clear the larger 88mm AAA positions before attacking the city.

The problem with designing the PNG/Solomons terrain is how fluid the entire campaign was.  The Japanese forces held most of Papua and New Guinea before the Allied forces were able to gather enough troops and weapons to effectively fight back.

The Allies fought back up Papua to Lae while another series of battles were fought from Guadalcanal up the Solomons to force the IJN and IJA out of Rabaul.  The capture of Lae and Guadalcanal are pivotal to the Allies forcing the Japanese from Rabaul.

But assigning a "cold" vehicle base within a strategic target is a great way to be able to simulate the capture! Excellent!

The point I think you are missing is this:
Why have a capturable vehicle base in a city when that vehicle base imparts no strategic advantage or reward?  I know that as a bomber pilot there is no way I'm going to attack a city or factory and have a pal fly a C47 for the capture if the base can be recaptured in 10 minutes and nothing is gained for my side.

I agree that it is good to have some marker showing that the city has been captured but this still boils down to providing advantage to the attacker for capturing a base.

Naso,

one question: why a "cold" vehicle base? If you put an "hot" vehicle base you can simulate the last defenders of city, and if the airbase in the vicinity is under attack, i bet some good tactic will take tank and/or m16s to prepare the "last struggle", sound like Stalingrad (nice ground scenario).

Putting a Hot vehicle base has two problems.

1) when the base is captured the AAA at the city will open up on any tank that spawns in the city.  The fix is to asign the AAA to the vehicle base which leads to...

2) If the AAA are assigned to the vehicle base then the tanks have a free for all at the city with attending AAA cover.  Imagine if someone put 88mm guns at the city and the airfield was ony 2 miles away.

Stalingrad would be fun.  you'd have to do it on a smaller scale, (maybe 32 or 64 miles).

Spotcha in the Air

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
Capturable Strategic Targets Cont.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2000, 04:22:00 PM »

Originally posted by -raxx-:

That's what I'm doing but the 88mm AAA batteries are placed away from the city in ones and twos, (there are lots of smaller AAA guns at the city itself). This means that bomber raids would need ground attack aircraft to clear the larger 88mm AAA positions before attacking the city.

Sounds good!  

And I guess I'll have to re-read my history books on the pacific theater.  It is all a big buzz in my brain, how the battles went back there...  

I agree that it is good to have some marker showing that the city has been captured but this still boils down to providing advantage to the attacker for capturing a base.[/b]

I look at this from the SEA event point of view.  The way I think of it, is that it is good to have an indicator like this for SEA events.  This way the CM give specific strategic goals for the teams.

I'm sure this will become more refined as AH develops further.  

And the reward in all this, after all, is winning the event.  

Stalingrad would be fun.  you'd have to do it on a smaller scale, (maybe 32 or 64 miles).
[/b]

I agree! I'm in for any east front scenario.  Especially in the northern parts of the front...    

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

Brewster into AH!

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."

[This message has been edited by LLv34_Camouflage (edited 08-13-2000).]
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"