Author Topic: Rudder pedal recommendations  (Read 2312 times)

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Rudder pedal recommendations
« on: February 07, 2020, 09:31:46 AM »
Looking to try rudder pedals (been using a twist stick for years). Any good recommendations? The 3 that seem affordable on amazon are the Thrustmaster TFRP, CH pedals, and logitech G pro

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: Rudder pedal recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 11:04:21 PM »
If affordable is one of your main motivators, but if you still want something great that'll last you forever, perhaps check out the VKB pedals.  They are the least expensive of the "custom" pedals (Slaw, MFG Crosswind, Virpil, VKB, etc).  The plane of motion is more from your ankle than your knee/leg, so it's a more fine motor skill motion, which IMO = more accuracy, but YMMV there.  No hardware toe brakes though, you have to use their software workaround for that.

They are about $215 USD.  Good review here -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk1huZqKufA

I've had mine for a long time, I have an earlier variant, the latest ones are even nicer.  Nearly all metal construction.  Very tough, adjustable profile in terms of their footprint/size, and again, very, very accurate.  They are my daily drivers, and what I use for AH and other types of online sim gaming where it's competitive and accuracy/shooting is important - that's out of the Slaw 109Cam, Slaw RX Viper, and MFG Xwind I have right now (haven't got the Virpil pedals yet as they are perpetually out of stock - they have a $200 option too though you might want to check out come to think of it).

Ch Pedals are good, I've had several sets over the years, they only real negative is their design tends to allow a lot of crud to get into the mechanism, which requires a yearly cleaning, which = taking them apart (NBD).  The TM pedals you mentioned (their low cost ones, not the $500 TPR ones), are very, VERY narrow, which IMO = a big pita to use, but again, YMMV.  I'd get CH way before those TM TRFP for this reason alone.  The Logitech/Saitek aren't much cheaper than the VKB, and IMO I'd spend the extra 50 bucks or whatever to move up to the VKB over the Saitek/Logitech.

Virpil's $200 pedals have a similar set up/plane of motion as the Slaw RX Viper - IE your heel is on the floor, and your front 1/3 of your foot or so presses the pedal.  No hardware toe brakes on these either, but the reviews I've seen of the next models up (similar, just more foot/brake options) have been really good.

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-warbrd-rudder-pedals.html

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 11:08:51 PM by Gman »

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 07:06:53 AM »
My CH peds are nearly 20 years and were used when I got them. Have had zero problems. Prior to CH I had a set of Saitek peds. The right side kept getting stuck in the full forward position.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 09:33:03 AM »
CH for me too. First set I bought had the game port plug on them. Used them for years without issue untill everything switch to USB. Bought a set of those and still use them without any issues. I did take them apart once to clean them up and spray out the pots, but no problems at all.

Some complain that the pedals are too close together. While they are tight (inside edge of one to the other is a bit over 5 inches) I have never found them uncomfortable (Im 6'1" 280).

They WILL take some time getting use to so be aware. Break in period for your head will be a good month!

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 10:17:11 AM »
Thanks! I'll have to decide if I want to make the plunge form using a twisty

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 10:28:05 AM »
I use some older Ch pedals but because they use the older Game port I have to use a Rockfire converter to use a usb port.. The calibrate option doesnt work well. A little pressure may not work and a little more goes hard over.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 10:33:53 AM »
I'm guessing I have about 15 years on my CH Pro pedals, they have worked flawlessly for me.  Don't get them atlau, you're too much of a threat already........   :devil

Actually, I think you'll like having pedals once you get used to them.   :salute

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 12:13:19 PM »
I use some older Ch pedals but because they use the older Game port I have to use a Rockfire converter to use a usb port.. The calibrate option doesnt work well. A little pressure may not work and a little more goes hard over.

And this is the reason I upgraded to the USB version pedals years ago. Had issues strait out of the box using an adapter. Switching to the USB version was the best thing I ever did when it comes to controls.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 12:52:12 PM »
Affordable these days pretty much equates to semi-disposable IMO. Hundred dollar stick that used to last 10-20 years with some minor repairs just flat out breaks in a year now. For that reason I spent more on gear that I don't foresee having to repair or replace maybe ever. I have MFG Crosswinds pedals and love them. Very well built, all composite with ball bearings and contactless sensors. No pots to wear out. No plastic "bearing" stickiness. Standard pedal travel with toe brakes. Very smooth and configurable with different cams for your preference. I just bought widening adapters that give them a wider stance. The "boys" are thankful for that! Recommended.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 03:16:58 AM »
I use CH pedals and like them a lot.  Been using CH pedals for over two decades.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 04:41:57 AM »
Affordable these days pretty much equates to semi-disposable IMO. Hundred dollar stick that used to last 10-20 years with some minor repairs just flat out breaks in a year now. For that reason I spent more on gear that I don't foresee having to repair or replace maybe ever. I have MFG Crosswinds pedals and love them. Very well built, all composite with ball bearings and contactless sensors. No pots to wear out. No plastic "bearing" stickiness. Standard pedal travel with toe brakes. Very smooth and configurable with different cams for your preference. I just bought widening adapters that give them a wider stance. The "boys" are thankful for that! Recommended.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked them out and will be ordering a pair or two soon.
 :cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2020, 04:22:48 PM »
There are some really nice metal construction ones out there for a hefty fee.

My CH ones are now 12 years old, the right toe brake has lost about 50% of it's travel but the YAW is still perfect.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Online hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 09:59:01 PM »
CH

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 09:45:47 AM »
Looking to try rudder pedals (been using a twist stick for years). Any good recommendations? The 3 that seem affordable on amazon are the Thrustmaster TFRP, CH pedals, and logitech G pro

I had a pair of CH pedals that lasted over 15 years. They have all the functionality (rudder and independent toe brakes). They stick the floor well enough (tile) and didn't slide around. My only complaint was that the span was a touch on the narrow side. I prefer to have my feet wider. After 15 years a wire failed in the USB output cable.  $105 on Amazon

As a replacement I bought the new Thrustmaster TPR pedals. Full functionality, they are nice and wide, all metal, heavy, move very smoothly, and use hall effect sensors ilo resistor pots. Large range of motion. The pedal angles are adjustable. They are over kill but they feel great, look cool, work perfect if you can drop that kind of cash. $533 on Amazon.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2020, 11:24:30 AM »
CH for more years than I can recall

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals