Author Topic: Why I die often  (Read 3019 times)

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
Re: Why I die often
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2020, 01:29:01 PM »
Also notice that engine vibration is not making the mirror unusable.

I wonder how they engineered that. You would expect it to bounce all over the place. I am impressed.
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 02:01:39 PM »
I wonder how they engineered that. You would expect it to bounce all over the place. I am impressed.

My bet is that it's directly mounted to the air frame, then it doesn't shake any more than anything else already is. hard mount it like a gauge.

Tip 1 – A good foundation
If the base of the mount is not rigid, don’t expect the camera not to shake. Having the mount setup rigid as though it was welded to the air frame is preferable. A common mistake is adding a piece of padding under the mount. This is only going to add play (shake) to the mount. Attaching to something rigid is key. For example, a suction cup mount on a flat plexi window is going to shake regardless what mount you use. Mounting to a strut, air frame tubing, or tie down ring are some examples of rigid attach points.
"fly as far as you can into the crash"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2020, 05:34:37 PM »
Doesn't the engine cause more vibration at idle, at open throttle/high rpm the vibration smooths out.

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2020, 06:16:52 AM »
donut is a forum auto replace for that nasty 3 letter word for what most people sit on.   :D

...as for the OP, you die often because you insist on using the touch controllers. I have used them and they just can't keep up with the accuracy of a good joystick/throttle/pedal combination.

I'll concede to the pedals.. as for the rest, the touch controllers are the way to go if you want full immersion. Dubdubz also uses them exclusively. You have to give it more than 5 min Fugative.. anywho.. agree to disagree.

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2020, 06:26:17 AM »
Look behind?
Mr. shuffler good Sir.. first and foremost, thank you for some awesome times in the ava!! Super fun.
 By "look behind" I am referring to the ability to look directly behind by use of the hat switch or keyboard numbers 0,1,2,3,5. Most people, myself included back in the day will lock on that view or target behind them and keep that view as they maneuver into a better position in the enemy. Some would even say its essential. On a 2d flat screen if you are flying cockpit view it lets you see the enemy directly behind you. In 3rd person view you can see your plane and the plane behind you thus helping you escape and react to his reactions as you evade. Its very effective for reversing the fortunes. I dont fault anybody for using it, some of the vr guys still use it. I just decided not to use it while in VR. Problem is, I cant see the guy directly behind me and if nobody tells me to chk six he will undercut any evasion i make and one shot me dead. It also makes it more difficult when trying to go from hunted to hunter.

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2020, 06:27:30 AM »
You don’t use the mirror to look behind you?

Mirror?? Wheres the mirror in an I16, BF110, TA152? Ide love to use it

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2020, 06:29:00 AM »
Hi again, Samyam.  :joystick:

Hello Fargo..

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2020, 06:30:16 AM »
looking behind is not a cheat because it is available to everybody.

semp

You are right brother, I probably used the word cheat out of context there.. my bad fam..

Er Fi

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2020, 06:34:54 AM »
Cheating would imply it gives an advantage because others are unable to do it. That is not the case. It is also completely possible to do it IRL. Maybe not to the extent we can, and it surely wouldn't be that comfortable, but possible.

Absolutely correct Spikes and again, i apologize for using it out of context, for clarity what I meant by saying it was a cheat was that In a game that more or less a sim with much emphasis on replicating realism with the flight characteristics of the aircraft, gv's ect... the unrealistic ability allowable by the 360 look around is a cheat to a sim and typically something associated with an arcade type game.

Again my bad for the poor choice of words.

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2020, 06:44:58 AM »
IIRC this guy claims to have some health issue that restricts him to playing in a recliner so I'm guessing he literally couldn't look back in that sort of position with a headset. But that's where AH VR view system shines! You can simply blend the hat view with the.... Oh wait... He's not using the hat switch to look around. He's using them for stuff like throttle. How realistic! And with about a half inch of travel pretty imprecise too!

Bud... We get it. You like the touch controllers. So have at it. Whatever yanks your crank. But enough with the multiple rants over it already.

Where's that triple face palm?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

For clarity., No claim has ever been made by me or my representative stating that a disability has restricted me to use of a lazy boy.. I choose to kick back in my uber comfertable massaging lazy boy becasue a.) its super comfertable and b.) I can kick wayyy back to include my head and almost see all the way behind me. Great on end overs. You are correct, i use my left touch controller hat switch for throttle, also use the same hat switch for rudder control and squad vox. The virtual throttle has a tendency to act funny when i use it.

Hitech deserves mad props for his work setting up the touch controllers for flight control. Its the best in the industry. I'de love to prove and maybe even convert some of you haters. Lets do a follow the leader and if the HOTAS is soo much more responsive as you claim then you should be able to shake me without much effort. Problem is none of the haters ever step up.
Anyway, as long as somebody is trashing the touch controllers i will continue to respond and advocate for them.. fair.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2020, 12:32:21 PM »
Looking back in most planes, you can't see straight back. You have to maneuver. Even in my 38.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2020, 05:28:29 PM »

Hitech deserves mad props for his work setting up the touch controllers for flight control. Its the best in the industry. I'de love to prove and maybe even convert some of you haters. Lets do a follow the leader and if the HOTAS is soo much more responsive as you claim then you should be able to shake me without much effort. Problem is none of the haters ever step up.
Anyway, as long as somebody is trashing the touch controllers i will continue to respond and advocate for them.. fair.

the vr sticks have plenty of "gross" motor control. and are perfectly adequate for follow the leader. I dont think anyone really disputes that.

what the vr sticks lack is "fine" control and stability.

it is much harder to maintain a nose stable gun solution with the inherent instability. it looks good, but the results just cannot compete with dedicated hardware.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2020, 05:41:17 PM »
You can get some stability with touch controllers from resting your hands on something.

Follow the leader can be a good basic flying test. BnZ through the small hanger at max speed with various vertical maneuvers to reverse direction.

A one to one duel is a better fighter controller test as long as both pilots know how to merge.

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2020, 06:25:12 PM »
You can get some stability with touch controllers from resting your hands on something.

Follow the leader can be a good basic flying test. BnZ through the small hanger at max speed with various vertical maneuvers to reverse direction.

A one to one duel is a better fighter controller test as long as both pilots know how to merge.

sure you can get some stability that way. but it still falls short of a dedicated stick.
not only is the stick more stable in this regard, i can tell how far im pressing by the resistance of the spring.

add into it the resolution of the vr sticks is nowhere near the high end sticks.
you will notice this most when you think you have a full guns solution from straight 6 on the enemy and 200 out, a cant miss shot. and yet you cant kill anything. its just impossible to keep the nose as stable in the absolute correct position for long enough with a vr stick. you get just a little wobble and shotgun effect.

are they good enough to fly with, sure. more so if you actually enjoy them. but they do handicap you a bit.

i love my manual transmission cars, i won't buy a car with an automatic. but objectively a manual trans car is not as good as a modern automatic. still i wont buy an automatic and i hate driving them.

so i get the love for a substandard interface. but your going to have a hard time convincing people (or maybe just me) that its better.

just my opinion.

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2020, 05:22:41 AM »
Mr. shuffler good Sir.. first and foremost, thank you for some awesome times in the ava!! Super fun.
 By "look behind" I am referring to the ability to look directly behind by use of the hat switch or keyboard numbers 0,1,2,3,5. Most people, myself included back in the day will lock on that view or target behind them and keep that view as they maneuver into a better position in the enemy. Some would even say its essential. On a 2d flat screen if you are flying cockpit view it lets you see the enemy directly behind you. In 3rd person view you can see your plane and the plane behind you thus helping you escape and react to his reactions as you evade. Its very effective for reversing the fortunes. I dont fault anybody for using it, some of the vr guys still use it. I just decided not to use it while in VR. Problem is, I cant see the guy directly behind me and if nobody tells me to chk six he will undercut any evasion i make and one shot me dead. It also makes it more difficult when trying to go from hunted to hunter.

Just wondering Shuffler... is this where I was being a dk head and made you attacke me? Just wondering..