Author Topic: Why I die often  (Read 3023 times)

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
Why I die often
« on: February 22, 2020, 12:45:28 AM »
I get shot down more than I shoot down others but the use of touch controllers has nothing to do with my kill/death ratio. So then Mr. Saam I Am, why do you get shot down so often?? Below is my list of top reasons I selfbrand #diesalot

1.) I dont run away from a fight. I dont care if im in a bf110 and you are a spit16 or yak3, I wont make a diving pass at you then run like hell to get away. If I engage you, i stay until one of us is dead.
2.) I dont care about your field ack or cv ack. If you attack me and then run away like a lil... I will chase you and when I catch you, I will kill you or die trying. You are not dragging into your ack, i am chasing you into your ack because you were too much a coward to stay and fight when you tried to vulch or pick me. Running to your ack will not save you from me. 7out of 10 times your ack kills me and thats ok with me because it was those other times when you thought you got away with your lame donut tactics and found yourself getting shot down over your own field that makes it worth while for me.
3.) I'm a hanger queen King.. I love to fly the hanger queens. P39, P40, Hurricane, I16, BF110, HE152 and occasionally a spit8 or LA5. Why the queens? Because shooting down your 190, spit16,yak3,la7 is that much more satisfying. Call me weird but its just too easy to kill you if i use the high end planes.

4.) Experience. As I near my 1 year mark in Aces High I have to remind myself that 90% of you die hards have 10 to 15 years experience in this game so any advantage or trick or angle of attack I might discover and use is nothing more than a been there done that for you old salts. All i can say to that is. I am watching, I am learning from you and soon enough I am beating you.

Not withstanding the reasons above there is one reason above all that is responsible for my higher than average death rate. That reason is "look behind". For years  I used it, hell, in IL2 i almost exclusively flew while looking behind me. It makes evading easier, it makes it easier to get on the bad guy six. It lets you see how many bad guys are chasing you. And for all of you arcade flying game haters.. its cheating, its un natural and its literally impossible  to do in real life. It is an unrealistic arcade game type feature that we have all accepted and tolerated because it makes the sim easier. The problem is now you are all addicted to it and can't fly without it regardless of how unrealistic it is. When I went full VR and touch controller I decided It was all or nothing and so I disabled all the fake donut look around control options. And yes, they are fake donut viewing options. If its not something you could do with your head and neck in the cockpit of a plane then it is a fake donut view control. Period.
So, when I am flying, I can only see as far as my head/neck/cockpit allows me to see. Some give me great view (I16) and some just suck (F4u) but whatever the view, its natural, realistic and no different than the pilots of wwii had to work with.
It makes me wonder just how good most of you aces would be without that handicap cheat. We will never know because like I said, you have all become addicted and dependent on that unrealistic game feature. I too was addicted until VR set me free..
We shall however soon find out. I am developing a VR Battlesports league called AcesLeagues and the pilots flying in it will be limited to the use of touch controllers and the unrealistic view behind option will be disabled.
Yes, I know i will be getting tons of pushback and banter regarding my feelings about the look behind issue and I'll tell you what.. Show me a single instance where any pilot, in any plane ever can or had the ability to swing his head a complete 180degrees and with xray vision looked through his plane to see exactly behind him and ill forever shut my mouth.

P.S. I love you all and thank the heavens above I get to fly and die with you all daily, never before has there been a better therapy for my ptsd

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Why I die often
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 01:58:34 AM »
Look behind?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 07:11:54 AM »
Donut view?
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 07:19:57 AM »
I've been here almost 20 years and get whacked around like a whiffle ball at summer camp  :bhead

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 08:52:47 AM »
Donut view?

donut is a forum auto replace for that nasty 3 letter word for what most people sit on.   :D

...as for the OP, you die often because you insist on using the touch controllers. I have used them and they just can't keep up with the accuracy of a good joystick/throttle/pedal combination.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 08:56:00 AM by The Fugitive »

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 08:55:50 AM »
You don’t use the mirror to look behind you?
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 10:13:58 AM »
...as for the OP, you die often because you insist on using the touch controllers. I have used them and they just can't keep up with the accuracy of a good joystick/throttle/pedal combination.

So very true, in spite of what “expert” opinion may say.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 10:55:47 AM »
Hi again, Samyam.  :joystick:

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 11:09:30 AM »
looking behind is not a cheat because it is available to everybody.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 11:18:53 AM »
Well I ain't had fun since I quit drinking'

Seems someone hasn't stopped
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 11:25:14 AM »
Cheating would imply it gives an advantage because others are unable to do it. That is not the case. It is also completely possible to do it IRL. Maybe not to the extent we can, and it surely wouldn't be that comfortable, but possible.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 12:46:19 PM »
IIRC this guy claims to have some health issue that restricts him to playing in a recliner so I'm guessing he literally couldn't look back in that sort of position with a headset. But that's where AH VR view system shines! You can simply blend the hat view with the.... Oh wait... He's not using the hat switch to look around. He's using them for stuff like throttle. How realistic! And with about a half inch of travel pretty imprecise too!

Bud... We get it. You like the touch controllers. So have at it. Whatever yanks your crank. But enough with the multiple rants over it already.

Where's that triple face palm?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline RAG

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 02:39:18 AM »
Oh how brave you are!  yet in MPA you wont go head to head with me but only agree to fight me where the drones are so that you can blame my kill  on 'AI7' instead.  oh by the way I use a mouse too, is that an unrealistic advantage?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 12:43:56 PM »
Oh how brave you are!  yet in MPA you wont go head to head with me but only agree to fight me where the drones are so that you can blame my kill  on 'AI7' instead.  oh by the way I use a mouse too, is that an unrealistic advantage?

A mouse is not a touch pad. Several folks use a mouse.... lazer for one.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 01:11:21 PM »
This is the rear view mirror from a converted LF MkIX. Nice smiling chap. Also notice that engine vibration is not making the mirror unusable.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.