Author Topic: Greyhound official trailer  (Read 2572 times)

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
Re: Greyhound official trailer
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2020, 04:59:51 PM »
First thing I noticed too. Uboats depend on stealth to not be spotted, so let's paint a giant red wolf on it.

I do not think that was a real issue.  At least in the movie they have the sub emerging to the surface when attacking.  If I am correct from what I have read, and correct me if I am wrong, Germany usually attack the convoy from dusk to dawn and surface when doing so.  Also, since the North Atlantic sea were mostly high swells, German subs could not effectively go periscope dearth for visual and attack runs.  They were forces to go surface for better vision.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2020, 05:17:05 PM »
I do not think that was a real issue.  At least in the movie they have the sub emerging to the surface when attacking.  If I am correct from what I have read, and correct me if I am wrong, Germany usually attack the convoy from dusk to dawn and surface when doing so. 

Agreed.  I think I once read that Doenitz viewed U-boats as torpedo boats that could submerge to hide during the day.

- oldman

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2020, 05:26:35 PM »

Agreed.  I think I once read that Doenitz viewed U-boats as torpedo boats that could submerge to hide during the day.

- oldman

Surface attack was mainly for speed if I recall.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2020, 05:34:28 PM »
Looks great. will definitely see in theaters and then boot up Silent Hunter 3.

LOL.. I was thinking the same thing..
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2020, 07:12:23 PM »
I do not think that was a real issue.  At least in the movie they have the sub emerging to the surface when attacking.  If I am correct from what I have read, and correct me if I am wrong, Germany usually attack the convoy from dusk to dawn and surface when doing so.  Also, since the North Atlantic sea were mostly high swells, German subs could not effectively go periscope dearth for visual and attack runs.  They were forces to go surface for better vision.

Well, I was agreeing with you about the conning tower art, not realistic at all. And giant art on the side of the conning tower seems to be counter-productive.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2020, 07:33:46 PM »
Realistic or historical? Art on U-Boats wasn't unheard of:

Not unlike WWII U.S. aircraft.

https://gmic.co.uk/topic/10058-photos-of-conning-tower-emblems/

Granted, I'm more a U.S.N. Fleetboat fan.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2020, 07:49:01 PM »

The wolf art on the sub shown in the trailer is not historical and therefore not realistic. I've seen plenty of conning tower art of uboats, nothing ever resembled the red wolf art in the trailer.

There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2020, 07:57:02 PM »
The wolf art on the sub shown in the trailer is not historical and therefore not realistic. I've seen plenty of conning tower art of uboats, nothing ever resembled the red wolf art in the trailer.

Historical use and a specific historical example creates a bit of a historical quagmire for a fictional move even when its based on historical events.

Here are some model decals based on historical U-boat art:

Various in size and red wasn't shied away from. Honestly, if Allied sailors could make out what is being depicted in the movie at any depth greater than periscope and at any distance greater than point blank range to their own ship, I'd be amazed.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2020, 11:28:36 PM »
Historical use and a specific historical example creates a bit of a historical quagmire for a fictional move even when its based on historical events.

Here are some model decals based on historical U-boat art:

(Image removed from quote.)

Various in size and red wasn't shied away from. Honestly, if Allied sailors could make out what is being depicted in the movie at any depth greater than periscope and at any distance greater than point blank range to their own ship, I'd be amazed.

Your patronising BS drives me nuts

Here is a screen shot from the trailer.....

As you can see it covers the WHOLE conning tower.

Using the same "model" info you used...

You can see they had the image only on the upper portion of the conning tower. For a real image....

Again, only on the upper conning tower. Do a google search and you'll find the same for most of the images you can find.

So yes, again, hollywood takes some liberties. But does it change the story? I dont think so. It makes it easier for the "dumb" viewers an easy way to find the "villian".

Stop arguing just for the sake of arguing.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2020, 06:33:18 AM »
Your patronising BS drives me nuts

Stop arguing just for the sake of arguing.

You've been nuts for longer than that. Get over it.  :D

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2020, 06:35:22 AM »
In today's world when a movie says "based on a true story", it does not really mean much compared to movies of old. Where they used to take some liberties, now they just use the story as a idea and not the basis of the movie.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2020, 06:55:51 AM »
I'm kinda interested in seeing it before I critique it for taking 'horrendous' liberties with the art depicted on a U-boat.  :cool:

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2020, 08:20:57 AM »
I'm kinda interested in seeing it before I critique it for taking 'horrendous' liberties with the art depicted on a U-boat.  :cool:

It won't stop me from seeing it, in fact, I'll shell out the extra cash to watch in theaters with a popcorn and a coke.

That being said, the fake uboat art does not add to the historical realism I expect from a Tom Hanks produced film. Could you imagine if Band of Brothers had incorrect company insignia on their helmets?

Add some historic art, throw the laughing swordfish on the conning tower and give a nod to Das Boot. Film goers like me would notice that and make it a better experience.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 08:30:33 AM by Nefarious »

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2020, 09:51:42 AM »

Not unlike WWII U.S. aircraft.

https://gmic.co.uk/topic/10058-photos-of-conning-tower-emblems/

Granted, I'm more a U.S.N. Fleetboat fan.

I am not saying they didn't have them, just the ones in the upcoming movie are no historically correct.   

https://uboat.net/special/emblems/

Like I previously said, the director might have done this to catch the audience's attention of the fear, evil subs with big scary emblems.  The red-eye wolf looks too modern type of art you might see in video games.

Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2020, 10:00:30 AM »
The Kindle version of the book, the Good Shepherd by C.S. Forester, is 99 cents on Amazon.