Author Topic: P51's  (Read 1722 times)

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
P51's
« on: March 14, 2020, 02:00:49 PM »
i have a question-if anyone knows--in real life while in flight in battle would a P51 engine get hot or lockup from overheating in a dogfight with or without wep.
like i'm pretty sure if sitting on the runway idling may overheat the engine-true or false.

like in AH you can run you're wep out but the engine dose not blow or burn up-but in war thunder it doe's, actually the wep don't have to be on.

so in real life can you lose engine with high rpm-high speed dog fighting?

OH CRAP I POSTED THIS IN WRONG FORUM
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
Re: P51's
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 03:19:05 PM »
the answer would be yes, you could in real life overheat or destroy a real p-51 engine.
but modeling it in ah3 would just increase pilot workloads.

part of the charm of ah3 for a lot of people is that you dont have to micromanage the engine, especially the cooling systems.

if your interested in the real p-51s limits, here is the original pilot training manual > it should answer most any question you would have i think.
https://www.scribd.com/doc/34811808/North-American-P-51-Mustang-Pilot-Training-Manual
"fly as far as you can into the crash"

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 05:11:31 PM »
Piston aircraft had/ have minimum airspeeds they must maintain within specific power settings so the engine receives the proper amount of airflow over the block to aid in cooling during high power settings such as a climb to altitude, or a Dogfight etc.

Shock cooling - rapidly pulling the power back after high power settings could crack a cylinder or the block itself leading to a significant power decrease, or engine failure. But the P51 was liquid cooled which reduced that problem.

If you climb at slower airspeeds than what’s recommended while maintaining high manifold pressures (high power setting) you could easily overheat an engine. Especially Supercharged or Turbo charged motors.

I don’t remember off hand, but I thought I read that WEP on the P51 was for emergency use only, and had a time limit of (x) hours before a tear down/ inspection was required.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 12:19:55 PM »
chucks guides are the best,

fantastic information source in regards to the operation of the P51D.

https://www.mudspike.com/wp-content/uploads/guides/DCS%20P-51D%20Guide.pdf 

Page 41 engine settings,

In short the answer is yes if you left the Pony running WEP whilst at slow stall speeds. it would break the engine.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 12:22:47 PM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 02:49:34 PM »
the answer would be yes, you could in real life overheat or destroy a real p-51 engine.
but modeling it in ah3 would just increase pilot workloads.

part of the charm of ah3 for a lot of people is that you dont have to micromanage the engine, especially the cooling systems.

Adding engine management would also mean that you have to do a lot of extra study to switch planes.  Part of the charm of Aces High is we get to fly the airplanes without the "overhead".
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 03:57:16 PM »
The merlin company tested a merlin 66 on a test stand at WEP for 200 hours. When they took it apart they found micro cracking in the bearings. An R2800 was run at WEP for 8 hours on a stand then put in a test P47 to finish it's 110hour combat life span with no problems.

WEP limitations for engines that don't rely on a fluid reservoir like radials and German in-lines are to extend the usable combat life span of the engine and reduce maintenance.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 10:51:11 AM »
Yes indeed. In the real world the pilot had to manage the engine and it was not easy. In AH the players can go full throttle all of the time and use WEP to the max without any repercussions.

If you study up and really research you'll see that aircraft in WW2 didn't fly with full throttle but only when they had to. Bombers in AH bomb at full speed, in the real world, at least in the south PTO, B24's bombed while moving at 220 TAS, or there about depending on weather and viability. Sometimes slower sometimes faster. Fighters wouldn't buzz around the skies with the throttle pushed all the way forward either for numerous reasons including not over stressing/over heating the engine.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 11:53:26 AM »
i have a question-if anyone knows--in real life while in flight in battle would a P51 engine get hot or lockup from overheating in a dogfight with or without wep.
like i'm pretty sure if sitting on the runway idling may overheat the engine-true or false.

like in AH you can run you're wep out but the engine dose not blow or burn up-but in war thunder it doe's, actually the wep don't have to be on.

so in real life can you lose engine with high rpm-high speed dog fighting?

OH CRAP I POSTED THIS IN WRONG FORUM

The short answer, YES. The Merlin is somewhat complex to start.  During ground ops, special care and monitoring is required to prevent engine overheating. For instance, during idle operations, it’s advised to keep the nose pointed +- 10 degrees into the wind to ensure adequate engine cooling. 

I venture to guess that during wartime ops, maintenance crews were kept busy repairing and replacing Mustang engines after combat operations.

A few years ago, my amazing wife gave me a Mustang orientation ride at Stallion51.  Months later we went back to go through their week long Mustang Pilot checkout.  This pretty much emptied my bucket list, except for flying the space shuttle.  My astute wife noted that the shuttles were all grounded.  My reply was that I could still want to fly the shuttle.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 12:16:36 PM »

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 01:00:13 PM »
Hmmmm, that would be interesting in VR.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 05:55:44 PM »
Couple things of note.

The 38 was know for it's having heavy workload on engine management while the 190 was know for having a computer that managed most things.

Also I've read numerous times about 109s having to have all the plugs replaced if they overheated the motor.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 07:22:03 AM »
IL2 on expert mode has all the engine management. I haven't messed with DCS but as I understand it DCS is even more involved. It can be a pain with all the stuff you have to remember in order to get your engine to deliver power without not blowing it up! You'll have to have multiple extra things mapped to your stick to actuate things. Mixture, RPM, prop pitch, radiator shutters, oil cooler shutters, supercharger settings, etc. Lot of extra crap. All those settings are gonna change with altitude too! Once you know what all those things are supposed to be and have it mapped its not that bad. I pretty much have the P-38 figured out. But the problem is, that's just one plane. They're all different. I've blown up engines on a takeoff run! Heck the russki birds I can't even read the gauges!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 03:03:21 PM »
IL2 on expert mode has all the engine management. I haven't messed with DCS but as I understand it DCS is even more involved. It can be a pain with all the stuff you have to remember in order to get your engine to deliver power without not blowing it up! You'll have to have multiple extra things mapped to your stick to actuate things. Mixture, RPM, prop pitch, radiator shutters, oil cooler shutters, supercharger settings, etc. Lot of extra crap. All those settings are gonna change with altitude too! Once you know what all those things are supposed to be and have it mapped its not that bad. I pretty much have the P-38 figured out. But the problem is, that's just one plane. They're all different. I've blown up engines on a takeoff run! Heck the russki birds I can't even read the gauges!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

not really all that involved you should try it, everything is free for a month right now.   Some rad/oil flaps are automatic. I very rarely blow engines in DCS, it's just re-wiring your brain to not hang on your prop at maximum settings for too long which is what you would expect really.  The struggle is learning a new module and spending lots of hours on a certain type then flipping back to a different plane and having to remember how one has to operate that.   It's all practice and very much like the real thing learning the nuances of different planes.   I find great satisfaction in it.  I'm 100% on Spit 9 and Pony.  109k4 is prob 90% there.   The Dora I'm going to hook up soon.   Awaiting a P47 and Mosquito for further challenges. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Hotstuff

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 04:32:54 PM »
Drano's spot on.

The thing that's nice about AH is the accessibility while having a good flight model. I would rather have a better damage model for AH than a better engine model.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 06:08:43 PM »
What's wrong with the damage model other then when  I plane looses half of a wing it flys faster?