Author Topic: ok i'm going to wish for this again.  (Read 1006 times)

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
ok i'm going to wish for this again.
« on: March 14, 2020, 02:10:34 PM »
i wish for F3 mode on the IL2 please. i know some said it gives an unfair advantage, but what i think is an unfair advantage is me getting shot down by the fighter behind me because i can't see where he is coming from to make an attempt to avoid him/her.

so respectfully wish for the IL2 to have F3 mode restored. thank you.
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: ok i'm going to wish for this again.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 04:02:25 PM »
Almost every time I up an IL2 I have to furball. Then I'm using TR in 2axis mode inheriting my saved views. And you can set the views so you can furball. I don't attack tanks if there are red dots in my area on my clipboard. I keep an eye on them so I can HO them when they dive in. And I really try not to be in the air in an IL2 in the middle of a furball. IL2 had a very high death rate in WW2 because the views had nothing to do with air combat which they were not designed for.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 10:26:34 PM »
No. The external view gives it a very distinct advantage it should not have.

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 04:40:08 AM »
but what i think is an unfair advantage is me getting shot down by the fighter behind me because i can't see where he is coming from to make an attempt to avoid him/her.

By that logic every plane should get F3 mode ;)

Cockpit visibility is a trait just like speed or roll rate. Some planes are better at it, some less so.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 06:17:45 AM »

Sorry.  I like the IL-2.  F3 was disabled on it for a really good reason.
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 07:47:15 AM »
Cockpit visibility is a trait just like speed or roll rate. Some planes are better at it, some less so.

Well put.

- oldman

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 12:36:15 PM »
Let's disable F3 on bombers.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 01:00:08 PM »
Let's disable F3 on bombers.

F3 simulates the rest of the crew keeping an eye out for enemy fighters. On B-17s that would be nine other pairs of eyes (scanning practically all directions) as well as the pilots. A flight of B-17s would have 30 pairs of eyes looking around. Even with just a single rear facing gunner on a single bomber there's more than just the pilot's eyes simultaneously scanning around. Add in that only one gunner may join a bomber/bomber formation and you can't actually simultaneously man all positions and a method to simulate such is justified. If only all the non manned gun positions could auto gun toward the closest enemy in proximity. Alas, we live with what we've got. ;)

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 01:59:17 PM »
Well, the Il-2 did have a rear facing gunner....not particularly advocating  either way, just pointing out that presumably the gunner could communicate with the pilot.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 02:02:46 PM »
Bf110 has a rear gunner and never saw F3 mode in AH
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 02:20:26 PM »
You should count yourself lucky to be able to fly anything from an external view. In my opinion, everything should be cockpit or gunner view.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 02:28:47 PM »
My position is that everything with a level bomb sight should definitely have F3/F4/F5 online. As should all planes with multiple gunner positions. I don't think external views are unfair in them.  :old:

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 02:30:11 PM »
You should count yourself lucky to be able to fly anything from an external view. In my opinion, everything should be cockpit or gunner view.

I would agree is every gun position could be manned or served as an independent auto-gun if not.