Author Topic: COVID-19 (No Politics or Economics Please)  (Read 5278 times)

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
Re: COVID-19 (No Politics or Economics Please)
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2020, 03:36:21 PM »
You don't have actual respect for scientists or doctors, in general. You parse and pick and look for specific examples to support your extreme views (even to the point of misunderstanding what the claim may be). What's 'wrong' with 'us people' is that we're not your wacko support group and won't buy into your delusions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/world/europe/coronavirus-science-research-cooperation.html

As if there is not enough to distrust... recall, some scientists claim people cause climate change and others say it does not... some
claim nuclear power plants will destroy the earth while others say they won't, Timothy Leary said Acid was good for you and others said it was,
etc.
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2020, 03:50:12 PM »
As if there is not enough to distrust... recall, some scientists claim people cause climate change and others say it does not... some
claim nuclear power plants will destroy the earth while others say they won't, Timothy Leary said Acid was good for you and others said it was,
etc.

Science .... true science .... is self-correcting. Not trusting science because it reflects something you don't prefer to believe is always an option, I suppose, for some. But you might ought to consider believing what a majority of scientists consider actual threats (yes, to you) and not just let that inspire you to seek out the much smaller portion of 'scientists' that are obviously in someone's pocket (said someone having their profits threatened by change).

Politics done yet?  :D

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2020, 03:59:47 PM »
I will continue to post facts from doctors regardless of what the intelligentsia on this forum say about me.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2020, 04:12:54 PM »
Stick to news, skip the editorial comments, and ignore the idiots.  :aok

Some good news.

Re HCQ/AZ:

The French doctor has continued to update his results, and they are now based on a thousand patients. Other studies are also underway, and scientists including Fauci have cautioned that the Raoult study is not being done according to the most rigorous standards. But if you want hope along with your clickbait stories of people dying from fish tank cleaner, you could report it: as of Sunday March 29, the French study reported that of 1,003 patients treated with HCQ/AZ, only one had died.

Also this:
UPMC unveils potential COVID-19 vaccine. “Scientists say they’ve tested the vaccine in mice, and it produced antibodies specific to SARS-CoV-2 at quantities they believe could be enough to neutralize the coronavirus.”
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 04:20:12 PM by FLS »

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2020, 04:42:09 PM »
Stick to news, skip the editorial comments, and ignore the idiots.  :aok

Some good news.

Re HCQ/AZ:

The French doctor has continued to update his results, and they are now based on a thousand patients. Other studies are also underway, and scientists including Fauci have cautioned that the Raoult study is not being done according to the most rigorous standards. But if you want hope along with your clickbait stories of people dying from fish tank cleaner, you could report it: as of Sunday March 29, the French study reported that of 1,003 patients treated with HCQ/AZ, only one had died.

Also this:
UPMC unveils potential COVID-19 vaccine. “Scientists say they’ve tested the vaccine in mice, and it produced antibodies specific to SARS-CoV-2 at quantities they believe could be enough to neutralize the coronavirus.”

I agree completely. Watching the bad news which is endless, gets tiresome. It's far better for me at least, to get as much information as possible about the research to find a vaccine. We all know that it typically takes at least a year to find these but I tend to believe considering the deadly nature of this bug, that the time frame might be somewhat less.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2020, 05:03:50 PM »
I watched  DmonSlyr's linked video to Laura Ingram interviewing Dr. Smith. The FDA gave an approval the day before the interview to use chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine as appropriate for teens and adults to treat COVID-19. Dr. Smith, being an expert in the field of Infectious Disease, recognized around the world, and treating patients with preexisting conditions in real time at his facility during this epidemic. 72 patients, pre-diabetic, diabetic and obese. None died, and none of the 72 had to be intubated during their 4-5 days of hydroxychloroquine-azithro regiment.

It's not an anitvirus but, not all die from getting COVID-19, they get the equivalent of a cold or up to a bad flu. The really bad ones are very obvious to all around them and the 72 Dr. Smith treated all survived. Similar results to the French test. It means there is something in place for the worst to save lives since at some point we have to go back to work. Or all those none retirees who still have to pay the mortgage and build their nest egg to retire on. There are several potential antivirals already in the works around the world. Until then, the worst have a chance to survive under a Doctors care with the hydroxychloroquine-azithro regiment.

https://www.newsweek.com/fda-says-hydroxychloroquine-chloroquine-can-used-treat-coronavirus-1494925

I'm going to bet a lot of people here in CA have already had COVID-19 and thought it was a cold or the seasonal flu. I just went through the seasonal flu and I'm alive. There were time's it had a curious similarity to reported symptoms by those who have been interviewed about their COVID-19 experience. And most of the time it just sucked exactly like the seasonal flu. But, we are all on lock down until Pelosi's nephew Gavin decides he looks good enough in the news for saving the USA from COVID-19 and Trump. I seem to remember our CA fearless leaders encouraging everyone to go to San Francisco and take part in the chinese new years festival because everything would be safe. If we were all dieing from it, don't you think with the homeless numbers in LA and SF there would be dead bodies scattered all over the homeless camps? Those homeless have far worse general health then the average citizen. It's really hard in the USA to hide a sharp uptick in mortality even in CA, even with a willing media to cover up for the state government. It's possible in NY City unfortunately because the underground is used by the homeless.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2020, 05:08:25 PM »
I agree completely. Watching the bad news which is endless, gets tiresome. It's far better for me at least, to get as much information as possible about the research to find a vaccine. We all know that it typically takes at least a year to find these but I tend to believe considering the deadly nature of this bug, that the time frame might be somewhat less.

I agree, it can be depressing to take in the whole scale of it all. 

I don't see how we can get a safe vaccine in less than a year, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.  The problem is, as Michael Osterholm said in an interview, he can "invent" a vaccine in an afternoon.  But it has to be proven safe/effective in animal models, then it has to be proven safe and effective in limited human trials, it has to be manufacturerable on a large scale...more will fail somewhere along that line for one reason or another.  All will take time.  Hopefully the process can be streamline as efficiently as safety will allow. 

However, remember the test kit debacle.  You wouldn't want to rush something out shoddily and inject the whole country with it that turns out to cause leukemia in 2 years.  That would be a big oops.

I suspect way before that we will at least get drugs that can help reduce the CFR and control the damage.  Hydroxychloroquine might be one of those.  Probably not a miracle cure, but one of many that might have some benefit.

In my opinion though, a lot of those "Miracle Malaria Drug!", "Vaccine Found!" articles are some of the most cynical click-bait there is.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 05:11:33 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2020, 05:48:35 PM »

This guy convinced me I was wrong on the masks:

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2020, 06:12:09 PM »
On masks, the government is probably going with everyone using one due to a study on how long the virus can hang in the air of a room with no ventilation.

Here is the reason the antimalarial drugs are so important. The virus is not going to kill as many Americans as another Great Depression.

The unemployment rate could spike to as high as 15% this month, above the previous record of 10.8% set during a deep recession in 1982.

The antimalarial drugs will make it possible to get the American economy back to work and avoid the larger destructive force of a world wide new Great Depression. Remember so far the USA flu season is up to about 16,000 deaths and working on more. None of you are talking end of the world over a piddling 16,000 dead US citizens so far.............
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2020, 06:12:57 PM »
Good reason to lose weight

https://news.trust.org/item/20200402092110-6rvk1

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2020, 06:13:01 PM »
i would use a mask if i could find one.  bandanas or anything similar is useless.

I started to have food delivered. no fresh fruit or vegetables.  it's more expensive but with my wife at risk, going to stores increases the odds.

what i find out is a lot more places are accepting payments over the phone.  i just paid off my car loan, before i would have to bring a check now it's over the phone.

but we'll get thru this.  now it's not the time to place blame. it's time for action. blame can be done when this is over.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2020, 06:18:38 PM »
i would use a mask if i could find one.  bandanas or anything similar is useless.

Does your wife not sew?  Any relatives who do?

Even Homemade mask help a lot more than nothing.
https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/diy-homemade-mask-protect-virus-coronavirus/

Even common material like cleaned t-shirts are surprisingly effective: https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/

There are many free patterns out there:

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=111&v=VcQ69_ANsRA&feature=emb_logo

Pattern:
https://freesewing.org/fu-facemask-freesewing.org.letter.pdf

Instructions:
https://freesewing.org/docs/patterns/fu/instructions/

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2020, 06:21:31 PM »
The antimalarial drugs will make it possible to get the American economy back to work

If they work. 

But I agree that readily available protective gear for the general population and some progress on at least treating the disease and reducing likelihood of death, would make it a lot easier to relax quarantine.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2020, 06:24:09 PM »

Does your wife not sew?  Any relatives who do?

Even Homemade mask help a lot more than nothing.
https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/diy-homemade-mask-protect-virus-coronavirus/

Even common material like cleaned t-shirts are surprisingly effective: https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/

There are many free patterns out there:

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=111&v=VcQ69_ANsRA&feature=emb_logo

Pattern:
https://freesewing.org/fu-facemask-freesewing.org.letter.pdf

Instructions:
https://freesewing.org/docs/patterns/fu/instructions/

my wife doesn't even cook or clean but she's great at everything else. i cook and clean.

and honestly i don't know anybody that knows how to saw.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2020, 06:30:34 PM »
Good reason to lose weight

https://news.trust.org/item/20200402092110-6rvk1

Eagler

Someone, I think Icepac? had posted some data that the virus coating the esophagus could, instead of getting washed into the stomach and destroyed, get aspirated into the lungs from snoring.  That makes sense.  I had seen some comments from Italy that obesity was emerging as a high risk comorbidity factor.

I've been on the Carnivore diet since Jan 1 and lost about 25lbs.  I've noticed my waking myself up snoring has stopped. 

Maybe that helps explains why Korea and Japan are fairing so much better than Italy.  I suspect they have a lower obesity percentage.

:aok

Good thing we don't have an obesity problem in this country.  :noid

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:38:43 PM by CptTrips »