Author Topic: Call that a cockpit?  (Read 503 times)

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
Call that a cockpit?
« on: May 22, 2000, 04:25:00 PM »
THIS is a cockpit  

(Actually, I prefer the functional AH cockpits as they doubtlessly go easier on my poor old PII350 and feeble Banshee 3D card. But still.. nice, eh? B-17 II, by the way)

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
Call that a cockpit?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2000, 06:14:00 PM »
As Darth Vader would say... "Impressive..."

'Nexx'

NEXX

Offline Brazos

• Zinc Member
Call that a cockpit?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2000, 07:05:00 PM »
Thanks -duma-,

That's one beautiful game! Too bad it ain't a
megaplayer arena sim. Someday soon, the minimum specs will be a 500mgz machine. Then we can get those wonderful graphics to go with arena play. I love the way crewmembers are handled on the buffs.

Cya up...Braz

HaHa

Call that a cockpit?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2000, 07:44:00 PM »
Actually a megaplayer sim doesn't have any more additional client requirements than a single player.. in FACT a megaplayer sim has less requirements due to no need for AI processing (replaced with comm. processing). The only reason why graphics like this don't exist for a megaplayer sim is due to the turn around time and financial return. B17 2 probably has 20+ people working on it .. the single player market is HUGE compared to mega player even to this date. The key hurdle is that the traditional single player sim makers are scared toejamless of megaplayer development (they don't know anything), except for companies such as NovaLogic.

Offline By-Tor

• Zinc Member
Call that a cockpit?
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2000, 11:49:00 PM »
 Been watching B-172 closely because visually it is sweet! But,If the flight model isnt there ,I'll drop it FAST. Salute HTC for the best 'feel' of flight I've yet to experience in a flight sim.
 And I know HTC will keep up with the ever changing hardware restriction.Thx guys -always a pleasure to share your passion.

By-Tor

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Call that a cockpit?
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2000, 11:59:00 PM »
I concur with By-Tor. WIll have to see just how serious B-17II is. Janes WWII Fighte4s was pretty too, nut only lasted for 30 minutes on my HD.

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Call that a cockpit?
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2000, 02:09:00 AM »
It looks odd how the frames and panels are all weathered and chipped, yet the gauges look factory-fresh...  

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Call that a cockpit?
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2000, 02:15:00 AM »
The front window on the 109 is out of proportion

B172 looks awsome but it has some really bad polygon modelling, I think Aces High is much better in that area, but I'm just picky  

but b172 has better & historically more accurate cockpit guages and AN ACCURATE COMPASS      

[This message has been edited by Citabria (edited 05-23-2000).]
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Call that a cockpit?
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2000, 02:45:00 AM »
Yet another POSITIVE comment brought to you by Cit...
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Call that a cockpit?
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2000, 02:51:00 AM »
sorry,

I just think Aces high is better  
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
Call that a cockpit?
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2000, 07:35:00 AM »
Hmmm.. Why does it all look like a scene from "Bladerunner" or something? I know the grass was greener back in the good ol' days but the skies were still blue, right? Where did all the doom and gloom in colours come from?  

------------------
-lynx-
13 Sqn RAF

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Call that a cockpit?
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2000, 09:59:00 AM »
Actually, I like the "B172" concept...
Imagine, sinister Cessnas roaming the skies...

Valiant Beechcraft defend the homeland, while Pipers send much needed lend-lease aircraft...

Then, a surprise Grumman attack on the eastern border...

Sorry, just a play on the "B172" label.   The pictures look cool (like any pictures do) and will check it out when it arrives.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
Call that a cockpit?
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2000, 10:11:00 AM »
Another point also worth mentioning is that I am sure the artists at HTC are easily capable of turning out work like this but can you imagine the effect they would have on download sizes? An online sim has appeal to a broader audience and a wider computer spec whilst also keeping download sizes to a minimum, I think HTC hve done a marvelous job keeping it all in an 8MB file to be honest.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Call that a cockpit?
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2000, 10:11:00 AM »
I always wait for a month after release to read reviews, forums etc. before wasting my dime any more.  IMO, only good WW2 A/C box sim out in last 2 years is EAW.

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 05-23-2000).]

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Call that a cockpit?
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2000, 10:23:00 AM »
HaHa, It is not as simple as a turn around issue.  Believe me, Nate and I are perfectly capable of putting out detailed art in a timely fasion.  It is all about download times (I guarantee that B17 2 is over 100 Megs), poly counts, rendering the world(I think our game renders an entire 20 mile radius or more every frame)from your viewpoint.  Plus, the server has to keep track of every single object (this includes weapons fire) in the over 200 square mile arena.  Any other reasons are beyond me as my understanding is limited to mostly art specifics.  It will be wonderful when computers are fast enough to handle those kinds of downloads, but I think box game graphics are going to surpass megaplayer graphics for quite a while in the future.

------------------
John "SUPERFLY" Guytan - Art Director
HiTech Creations
"Happiness is a warm gun momma" - The Beatles
-=HELLFIRE=- SQUAD
John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting