Author Topic: Covid 19 Prevention discussion ONLY  (Read 23298 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Covid 19 Prevention discussion ONLY
« Reply #195 on: April 16, 2020, 01:45:59 PM »
The point of the lock down was to prevent overwhelming the medical response.

The number of cases is lower than predicted, even NYC is managing, it's time to reopen.

People at risk should still be careful.

People should wear masks where needed until they are tested and know they aren't contagious.

Of course people should wear masks every flu season and not go to work when sick. Maybe we'll see some changes there.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #196 on: April 16, 2020, 01:52:42 PM »

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #197 on: April 16, 2020, 02:29:57 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

+1 on that. You can only take off the parachute if you can land safely from the height you are at. And that means maybe a couple feet from the ground. And, AND, it all has to be done by all others in parachutes at the exact same time.

HOWEVER, if someone releases too soon, we have to put everyone up in the air, and jump again with parachutes on exactly for the same height and distance, back down again to the safe height.... Otherwise, it becomes groundhog day.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 02:32:04 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #198 on: April 16, 2020, 02:37:27 PM »
Except you're landing on a barge, and it's moving away from you, and if you wait too long you'll miss it and drown.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #199 on: April 16, 2020, 02:40:06 PM »
Except you're landing on a barge, and it's moving away from you, and if you wait too long you'll miss it and drown.

Releasing 500 ft. over the barge may keep you from drowning but .....

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #200 on: April 16, 2020, 02:58:26 PM »
See rule 4
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 06:27:17 PM by hitech »
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #201 on: April 16, 2020, 03:42:53 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

False analogy. It is not a binary choice of what to do. More like do I turn left,right, increase decent rate or slow decent rate to miss that tree. Because if I continue to take the current path that tree is going to mess me up, and possible kill me.

HiTech

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 03:44:50 PM by hitech »

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #202 on: April 16, 2020, 03:48:02 PM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:09:04 PM by hitech »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #203 on: April 16, 2020, 03:50:59 PM »
Releasing 500 ft. over the barge may keep you from drowning but .....

So broken leg, broken ankle, twisted ankle....or death,  when to release?  Now it's a better analogy.

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #204 on: April 16, 2020, 04:22:41 PM »
The point of the lock down was to prevent overwhelming the medical response.

The number of cases is lower than predicted, even NYC is managing, it's time to reopen.

People at risk should still be careful.

People should wear masks where needed until they are tested and know they aren't contagious.

Of course people should wear masks every flu season and not go to work when sick. Maybe we'll see some changes there.
Meanwhile my county in NW New Mexico considered a hotspot because of the Navajo Tribes virus counts has the only hospital for the county announcing layoffs because there's no work with the lockdown and not able to do anything but emergency surgeries.

There is one other large hospital on the reservation within the county, but only for the natives that stands virtually empty as 45% of the county's positive virus cases are from the tribe and using the only in county off reservation hospital for testing and treatment.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:27:36 PM by redcatcherb412 »
Ground Pounders ...

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #205 on: April 16, 2020, 04:37:00 PM »
I'm still looking for the analysis , I see big straw man (compare to flu).

The problem is, how to you prove an averted disaster?

So I go driving with a friend but insist he wear a seat-belt.  We get into a head-on but we survive.  The seat-belt strap left a painful bruise on his collar bone.  "See," he says, "I shouldn't have worn that seat-belt!  Look at this bruise!  I should have just put my hand out and stopped my head from hitting the windshield!"

How do I prove to him the bruise was worth saving his life?  You can tell him what would have been the alternative and he will say "That's opinion, not proof!"

So you go get a rental car and take him for another ride and tell him not the wear the seat-belt.  You get up good speed and swerve into a wall. He puts hand out and it snaps at the elbow and his head is shredded through windshield broken glass and his brains are on the hood. Well, now we know.  Q.E.D.

Thank goodness I opted for the rental insurance.  ;)

Then an opinion with no proof.

Well, uhhh,  it was in the Opinion section and was a response to a previous Opinion article in the Opinion section so.....

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:43:46 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #206 on: April 16, 2020, 04:44:49 PM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:49:34 PM by hitech »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #207 on: April 16, 2020, 04:46:51 PM »
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:50:10 PM by hitech »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #208 on: April 16, 2020, 04:47:14 PM »
The problem is, how to you prove an averted disaster?

So I go driving with a friend but insist he wear a seat-belt.  We get into a head-on but we survive.  The seat-belt strap left a painful bruise on his collar bone.  "See," he says, "I shouldn't have worn that seat-belt!  Look at this bruise!  I should have just put my hand out and stopped my head from hitting the windshield!"

How do I prove to him the bruise was worth saving his life?  You can tell him what would have been the alternative and he will say "That's opinion, not proof!"

Well, uhhh,  it was in the Opinion section and was a response to a previous Opinion article in the Opinion section so.....

Simple you show him video of crash test dummy's and the g load data. Then it is no longer opinion/conjecture. Up until then it is.

The point is you look at data with and with out the item you are trying to test, like South Dakota and Sweden.

What you don't do is blindly assume that confining people to their house , is better then other forms of prevention.

HiTech

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #209 on: April 16, 2020, 04:47:56 PM »
See rule #4
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 04:50:20 PM by hitech »