Author Topic: Why cant I see the dots?  (Read 854 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Why cant I see the dots?
« on: April 11, 2020, 10:37:48 PM »
Why cant I see dots as soon as others?

My computer isnt a super computer, but it aint bad, but it seems like players Im flying with see and ID other planes long before I can. Attached is my DXdiag. What setting should I play with to see if I can see these dots better.

Thanks

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Why cant I see the dots?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 11:02:37 PM »
You still using VR,Fugi? My squad always lags behind me in spotting dots. Except if they are below the Horizon among the Terrain. Even then it is pretty close race. :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 11:21:43 PM »
If AA is set too high the dots vanish. Long time problem. Set the AA to look good, can't see dots until icon range.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 02:59:14 AM »
Also, you're not using the native mode of your monitor.

Think about it this way: The image is made of lit pixels. If a single pixel has to be drawn, a single "lamp" is lit in the monitor. On or off, no dimming. If you change the resolution to less than native, that single lamp won't light up since you can't lit it partially only. Similarly, when there's two pixels only one of them is lit. With three only two and so on. Since a plane is a cross shaped thing there's thin lines to four dimensions so you may be missing a lot more than a single pixel especially when the said cross is a slanted one pixel wide bunch of dots. So while others may see an "X" you may see the very center of it as a ".".

The lower resolution turns into your advantage when the dot grows wider than a couple of pixels, at that point you may see your target better. Your video card is capable to keep a constant 60 fps at the native resolution so the lowered resolution doesn't smoothen the motion. If it does there's something else wrong in your system.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 05:19:08 PM »
I dont use a native resolution because I play on a 42" 1080p TV. With the native res, I lose about 1/2"-3/4" of an inch all the way around which really causes issues with other things I do on this computer.

I'll look into the AA.

You still using VR,Fugi? My squad always lags behind me in spotting dots. Except if they are below the Horizon among the Terrain. Even then it is pretty close race. :uhoh

I stopped using it as I couldnt get that voice program to work right, and Im a typer. I dont use voice much unless its quick info in fights. I also dont play as much as I use to so getting use to it and staying use to it was tough. It was almost like relearning each time I played.

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 06:16:06 PM »
I've found voice attack to be great for simple commands like tuning the radio and such. Dot commands can be reduced to a word or two works fine. Actually voice typing into the buffer tho is a total crap shoot and what usually happens is word salad at best. Couple of weeks ago I had it actually work doing that twice in a row!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 02:47:00 AM »
I dont use a native resolution because I play on a 42" 1080p TV. With the native res, I lose about 1/2"-3/4" of an inch all the way around which really causes issues with other things I do on this computer.

I'll look into the AA.

Using a lower resolution treats single pixels and lines of the width of a single pixel similarly to AA.

Do you mean the PC Desktop on your TV is larger than the screen, cutting off a slice on each side? If so, there's some sort of a zooming effect on in the TV. In pure PC mode the Desktop should fit the screen. For what I've seen when setting up TV's as a monitor the setting for unmodified signal can be buried deep into the submenus.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni