Author Topic: USAF Abruptly Ends Its Continuous Bomber Presence On Guam After 16 Years  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
As COVID-19 continues to overshadow the news I thought this stood out as pretty significant from a strategic asset profile change aspect. This move provides at least 2 positive benefits: (1) Increased asset unpredictability and (2) decreased asset loss exposure in a possible future crisis.

(side note: Is it possible to leave the political aspects out of the discussion?)

Lets try.  :)

Regards,
                                    Sun

The U.S. Air Force has ended its uninterrupted rotations of bombers to Andersen Air Force Base on Guam, which have been ongoing since 2004, as it shifts to a less predictable concept of operations. Five B-52H Stratofortresses left yesterday with no replacement aircraft in place, bringing an end to what the service had called the Continuous Bomber Presence Mission. This notably came just days after the bombers took part in a massive "elephant walk" readiness drill that also involved six KC-135R aerial refueling tankers, an RQ-4B Global Hawk drone, as well as a U.S. Navy MQ-4C Triton drone, and an MH-60S Sea Hawk helicopter, which was seen as a significant statement of American resolve aimed (at) China.

Online aircraft tracker and friend of The War Zone @AircraftSpots spotted the five B-52Hs leaving Guam for their home at Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota on Apr. 16, 2020. The bombers used the very pointed callsign "SEEYA" for the transit.

USAF B-52Hs SEEYA01, 02, 03, 04 & 05 departed Andersen AFB, Guam en route home to Minot AFB, North Dakota. pic.twitter.com/woOBYDT8fq
    — Aircraft Spots (@AircraftSpots) April 16, 2020
https://twitter.com/AircraftSpots/status/1250860112387792897

"In line with the National Defense Strategy, the United States has transitioned to an approach that enables strategic bombers to operate forward in the Indo-Pacific region from a broader array of overseas locations, when required, and with greater operational resilience, while these bombers are permanently based in the United States," U.S. Air Force Major Kate Atanasoff, a U.S. Strategic Command (STRATCOM) spokesperson, confirmed in a statement to The War Zone. "U.S. strategic bombers will continue to operate in the Indo-Pacific, to include Guam, at the timing and tempo of our choosing."

Starting in 2004, the Air Force began deploying B-52s, as well as B-1B Bone supersonic bombers and B-2A Spirit stealth bombers, for six-month stints to Andersen on Guam as part of the Continuous Bomber Presence Mission. As its name indicates, the concept of operations was meant to ensure that at least one task force of long-range heavy bombers was in position at the immensely strategic base at all times to respond to potential contingencies in the Pacific Region. The bombers on Guam had been a cornerstone of U.S. power projection and deterrence capabilities to the region since then....

Article continues:
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/33057/the-continuous-strategic-bomber-presence-mission-to-guam-has-abruptly-ended-after-16-years

Also covered at:
https://www.airforcemag.com/air-force-ends-continuous-bomber-presence-in-guam/

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 01:10:52 AM by Sundowner »
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Who needs B52s when you can kill global economies with a little Chinese bat dog anteater blood soup?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
And... at a time when tensions between U.S. and China are at their greatest.. what fool decided
this?
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
And... at a time when tensions between U.S. and China are at their greatest.. what fool decided
this?

OK I'll bite.  What exactly is foolish about a strategy which is less predictable?

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
.. what fool decided this?

Someone with a much bigger view of the picture than the small corner viewed from down here.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
Someone with a much bigger view of the picture than the small corner viewed from down here.

Thank you Puma.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
And then was Pearl Harbor... btw, remember the whiz kids?
 :salute

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member

Thank you Puma.

Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member

Spoken like a true "front line grunt"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Spoken like a true "front line grunt"

Indeed!  Sometimes it’s too scary to see the whole picture.  It interferes with flying for a living.  :salute

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Indeed!  Sometimes it’s too scary to see the whole picture.  It interferes with flying for a living.  :salute

More so on those 36 mile down legs.....
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
More so on those 36 mile down legs.....

That’s for sure!

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member

At the time... probably... having aged as I suspect you have... we learn lessons form our mistakes and
quite simply put... the U.S. IMHO has learned nothing... China is quite possibly the new 1930s-1940s the
Japan... are u willing to take the risk?

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
At the time... probably... having aged as I suspect you have... we learn lessons form our mistakes and
quite simply put... the U.S. IMHO has learned nothing... China is quite possibly the new 1930s-1940s the
Japan... are u willing to take the risk?

Politics again huh? Gotta have a national enemy even if there isn't one. :bhead
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.