Author Topic: comments, and question  (Read 576 times)

phenix

comments, and question
« on: August 29, 2000, 05:23:00 PM »
Great work on this HTC and Ogre,etl.!  The help files have been rather nice.

My question is for the use of Ogre's program.  I was succussful in creating a 1-1 terrain for the upper midwest in the US.  Now I know there are no mountain ranges or anything in this area, but the terrain came out absolutely flat.  The vegetation and land shape came out fine though.

Did I goof up somewhere?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline Ogre

• Zinc Member
      • http://reaper@cris.com/
comments, and question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2000, 08:17:00 PM »
If you are saying it's all pretty much the same washed out colour in relief mode of my tool, then go into display settings and raise the contrast.  This will accentuate the terrain.

If you are talking about in the AH Editor:  Are you sure it's really flat?  The reason I ask is that the AH editor, b/c of the speed and alt you can get to, sometimes makes things look much flatter than they would be when flying it.  If you run the cursor in the AH editor over the terrain (the red x) it should report the elevation.

If the above yields "yep, it's flat" (by this it is all zeros or the same value) then there must be something wrong with the dem file (the GTOPO dem file is separate from the ground cover file).  Double-check that you have downloaded the correct GTOPO tile and that it is in the MapMaker directory.  Within MapMaker you can verify the dem is correct by running the cursor over the map and looking at the elevation results in the "at mouse pos" area.

Also, take a look at the Dos window in the background after you create the terrain.  Were there any error messages?

Let me know what results you get.  We will figure it out.

-Ogre

[This message has been edited by Ogre (edited 08-29-2000).]

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
comments, and question
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2000, 07:53:00 AM »
Also realize that when you are in the editor, and you zoom way far back to where you can see the whole square of terrain, that is not the entire terrain.

Only a small portion of it is actually displayed at a time, and you can move to different sections with the normal controls

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

phenix

comments, and question
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2000, 01:09:00 PM »
Thanks for your help, I just went through the steps again and it turned up fine.

Yellojkt

comments, and question
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2000, 12:10:00 PM »
I'm so confused about what you guys are talking about. I'm new to the game, but not air sims. Can anyone fill me in on whats going on.

------------------
Yellojkt
-XO- Night Hawks

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
comments, and question
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2000, 08:46:00 AM »
Yellowjkt, they are talking about how the terrain editor works.

The terrain editor is a seperate utility from the game that allows players to create their own terrains. So you could build a Pearl Harbor terrain, or a Battle of Britain terrain, or just a generic Europe.

Once you build them, you can use them in H2H sessions, or you can send them to HTC as a submission to be used in the online terrains (we haven't seen the first of these yet).

The rest of what they are discussing are specifics of how the editor works. If you could tell me exactly what you don't understand, I could explain a little more.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure