Author Topic: Beginner  (Read 595 times)

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
Beginner
« on: December 22, 2000, 06:34:00 AM »
Nuttz &/or Wob how do ya get started with this editor? The help file that comes with it wont open says theres a problem opening the graphics.

Have seen your screen shots Nuttz there fantastic wish they were in the arena, I'd like to take a shot at this myself, I have paintshop pro 7.0 on the way will this help?

This is as bad as parenting, absolutely no manual and everyone expects ya ta get it right the first time!

Give an Old fart a break today and share some of the basics! I'd sure appreciate it.

51topper@home.com

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Beginner
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2000, 07:37:00 AM »
just keep hitting that "pictures won't open screen" after about 30 tries it opens   ( it's trying to load the 30 or so pics that won't show... AFTER you read the manual print it out,,,after you print it out READ IT!!!! THEN,,,, take the printout and start the fireplace with it paintshop pro is ok i guess,, I use Corel9 with photopaint, ONLY because i have 11 years of working with this program about 10-12 hours a day on average

Really read the manual first to get aquainted with this editor, then any questions ,post them here and i will help if i can. A new editor will be out sometime in the future, and with 1.05 around the corner theres no telling if the old editor terrains will even work anymore.

NUTTZ

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2000, 07:45:00 AM »
 Go to the MS website and download Word viewer<wd97vwr32.exe>. You will be able to read/view Word documents with it,if you need any assistance email me and I`ll try to help you.

I recommend you work with the editor until you have a solid understanding of it before you begin creating custom textures, also get Ogres mapmaker utility and the USGS files for the geographic area your interested in.

I`m planning on putting together some help pages for the editor but that project is on hold until I complete my Philippines terrain.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2000, 07:48:00 AM »
Jihad, i Dl'ed all of those but the maps come in porked from the site... well most of them did, a very few worked.
NUTTZ

TheWobble

Beginner
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2000, 07:56:00 AM »
I have retired from the editor to protect my own sanity, sorry  

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Beginner
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2000, 08:08:00 AM »
Jihad a thousand thanks! Just DL & installed the word viewer, works like a charm.

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
Beginner
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2000, 01:08:00 PM »
Thanks jihad the wd97vwr32.exe solved the problem of not being able to read the editor  readme file, now all I have to do is wait for more time off from work but at least your advice cured  a large headache salute!

I'll keep mashin buttons Nuttz :^)

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
Beginner
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2000, 06:32:00 PM »

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
Beginner
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2000, 07:40:00 PM »

Originally posted by NUTTZ:
Jihad, i Dl'ed all of those but the maps come in porked from the site... well most of them did, a very few worked.
NUTTZ

RGR-I had the same problem after my disk failure,some .DEM files were fine and others were corrupt in mapmaker.

I forgot the following tip from Ogres mapmaker website.  

"If using Winzip on a PC, the "Tar File Smart CR/LF Conversion" default needs to be overwritten (or turned off). This is under the configuration menu on options. One of the possible problems, if this setting is active, is carriage return characters are converted to CF/LF pairs resulting in a larger DEM file which creates the corrupted files.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Beginner
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2000, 07:53:00 PM »
Yup, read that, but i figured since some opened it wasn't effecting it. ALSO, i read it , but can't comprehend it I don't know where to make these setting changes. From what i understand.... once you click on LAT. and LONG.  and hit elevation you can import this information to AH editor and it saves the elevation, so all you have to do is set the tiles????? IF so WHAT A WASTE OF TIME DOING IT MY WAY I set every freeeeeeekin' tile elevation by hand. Thats why i opted to do a "fantasy" terrain first. Save myself the agg of the masses telling me it's wrong.

NUTTZ

Originally posted by jihad:
 RGR-I had the same problem after my disk failure,some .DEM files were fine and others were corrupt in mapmaker.

I forgot the following tip from Ogres mapmaker website.  

"If using Winzip on a PC, the "Tar File Smart CR/LF Conversion" default needs to be overwritten (or turned off). This is under the configuration menu on options. One of the possible problems, if this setting is active, is carriage return characters are converted to CF/LF pairs resulting in a larger DEM file which creates the corrupted files.