Author Topic: dumped  (Read 619 times)

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
dumped
« on: May 11, 2020, 07:21:57 PM »
Ok this happenned a lot during winter sky last Sat and its happening again. I was in 17's hosing this F4U behind and wondering why he wasnt going down. Then I got dumped again and when restarted the resolution was forked showing this huge clipboard with just enough 'online " to ckick it. But it didnt put me back in the bombers or where I lifted from. Here is dxdiag if thats any good.Ill try get a shot of the big clipboard next time.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: dumped
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 01:18:26 AM »
The main reason is that your computer looks outdated. It's almost a decade old and not fully Windows 10 compatible.

Based on benchmarks the Radeon HD 6870 is ~40% weaker than what HiTech used as reference when coding AH3, HD 6850 scoring even lower. With that card even setting every slider to min and disabling every enhancement may not be enough, should something happen.

Upgrading your video card only is not a valid option as there's a bunch of motherboard devices with the attribute "Driver: n/a". To me it says that the motherboard is not fully Windows 10 compatible, running at generic compatibility drivers designed to provide basic functionality until dedicated drivers have been installed.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 04:44:32 AM »
Bizman,

Did you notice the 9 Windows 10 errors at the bottom of his DXDIAG report? 1 of them was for AcesHigh11.exe

Also his MB is only reporting 1021 dedicated memory when it should be reading 1024 MBs

I put my old XFX 6870 1GB videocard in a backup computer and it runs AcesHigh 3 pretty good as long as I use the AcesHigh 3 DX9.exe.... But that is on Windows 8.1 Pro.....

His DXDIAG report is showing 9 windows error faults and heck, that videocard is somewhere around 12 years old from the time it hit the market......

As for how low and old a personj can go, I had my old ASUS HD3870 512MB videocard running AH3 back in beta on default settings averaging 30+ closer to 40 fps at times..... Heh, doubt it would even get to 25 fps now since it's been what 4 years or so since then....

Btw, when was the last time he updated his Windows 10?   I havent checked my computers but was sure last version I messed with was in the 10.9 series (that could be 1 of my 2 different beta machines though)

Some of his windows errors reminds me of  "memory leak error" for some reason.....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 07:18:14 AM »
TC, I didn't read that far. Since I'm not good in remembering when each and every component was made, I started by checking the launch years of the components to get an overview. Then, knowing the video card is crucial for the current version, I compared the benchmark to those I know. And when I found the n/a drivers I decided to call the case pretty much closed. For what I've found out old Intel boards are better supported by W10.

The Windows version is 1903 and it has been updating based on the time stamps of some drivers like the one for Etron USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller from March 11 2020.

As for AH being on the errors list is obvious, as this thread is about AH having "dumped". Seeing several programs there makes me think of memory issues as well, be they caused by faulty RAM, missing drivers, faulty motherboard or failing PSU causing glitches.

I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 09:53:57 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys very much appreciated. I have a vid card on the way.Its a Gforce 970. Older but newer than what Im using.  It outperforms what Im using on almost every test. Another thing I thought Win10 updated automatically, your telling me thats not the case?

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 11:10:03 AM »
Most Windows 10 versions do update Automatically with only the ability to delay updates 30 days and 35 days for different other apps

I overlooked the following at the top by accident from your DXDIAG:
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)

you are up to date
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 11:48:32 AM »
A GTX 970 is very capable of running AH3 at 1920x1080 or lower at 60 Hz. Hopefully your power supply is up to the task, some 550 W should suffice.

Check your Device Manager for yellow triangles and if there's any, try to find the drivers.

Kotisivuni

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 02:36:40 PM »
This all started when I dl the skins file. Obviously too big a mouthful. If I empty my skins folder will it re-dl the default set until my gear shows up. Im doing Winter Sky Sat and Id like to be there.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 01:09:29 AM »
Try renaming the skins folder to see if it recreates itself like many other folders in AH do. If that works, it's safe to delete the old folder. If not, renaming the folder back to original takes you back to where you started.

Regarding skins, disabling the skins to load in the background adds stability to the game.

Kotisivuni

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 06:41:39 AM »
If your ram is not reporting correctly you might have a flaky memory card

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals