Author Topic: Race Condition  (Read 800 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Race Condition
« on: June 01, 2020, 05:39:55 AM »
Could the occurance of what was presviously described to me as a 'race condition' cause a mistmatch between what you see at your end compared to what your opponent sees of you, and necessetate an adjustment of AoT, out-of-plane and out-of phase when defensive?

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
Re: Race Condition
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 05:26:54 PM »
There will always be a slight difference between what you see and what your opponent sees, as each will be seeing where the other was with a delay of approximately 1 packet "round-trip."  This should be less than half a second in most cases, so you shouldn't have to make any huge adjustments, unless either you or your opponent have a hellacious lag.  This was much more common in the old dial-up days.

Mike

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 06:19:47 PM »
hahaha. I remember in the old dial up days trying to guess which way the warper was gonna go and shoot in that direction. It was really rewarding when he warped into you bullets!

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 01:56:52 AM »
There will always be a slight difference between what you see and what your opponent sees, as each will be seeing where the other was with a delay of approximately 1 packet "round-trip."  This should be less than half a second in most cases, so you shouldn't have to make any huge adjustments, unless either you or your opponent have a hellacious lag.  This was much more common in the old dial-up days.

Mike

Ah I see, thanks Mike, the round trip of packets makes sense (I fly from Europe). It's difficult to be scientific about it as I only happens some of the time, but at the times I'm experiencing the 'race condition', as HiTech called it, I'm suspecting the angles I'm used to giving relative to my opponent to stay safe I'm no longer safe at.

It was really rewarding when he warped into you bullets!

:rofl fantastic.

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 06:28:18 AM »
An easy way to visualize what happens is for you and your opponent to film the same fight, then look at both films.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 06:35:53 AM by Drane »
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 12:49:08 PM »
The general rule of thumb I use is, he always has a slightly better shot than it appears he has when you're defensive.  Where his tracers are on your screen is only an approximation, usually about the only thing you can tell from other peoples' tracers when they're firing at you is that they're firing at you.  You can't tell much about how close they are on his end.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11