Author Topic: New internet service for rural areas coming soon  (Read 2919 times)

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
New internet service for rural areas coming soon
« on: June 04, 2020, 06:20:23 PM »

If what the narrator says is true then if HiTech connects to this service, anyone that has this service will get to avoid the land based internet infra structure and have better lag and latency numbers than those using traditional internet service. Sometimes we see players who live pretty far away, like Australia warping around with a lot of packet loss. That is ruining their game experience in AH.  The same in true for those connecting through services like HughesNet. This new satellite service will connect to all of the other satélites creating its own infrastructure that is much faster than the fiber optics used by most isp’s. He also mentions that this network is in a much lower orbit and that will help with latency inherent in legacy satellite services 

No prices have been announced yet for what download and upload speeds but hopefully it will be a better deal than what is offered by the legacy isp’s. We shall see.

:salute 

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Re: New internet service for rural areas coming soon
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 11:03:59 AM »
As one who has used satellite internet I can tell you it WILL have lag and online gaming will not work. I tried it and I had a 2 + second, not millisecond but more than 2 second lag with an online game. It takes time to transmit up then down back to land line internet.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 12:19:53 PM »
I cannot see how bouncing your internet off a satelitte could not have lag in it

Marketing is not always truthful

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 12:32:12 PM »
As one who has used satellite internet I can tell you it WILL have lag and online gaming will not work. I tried it and I had a 2 + second, not millisecond but more than 2 second lag with an online game. It takes time to transmit up then down back to land line internet.

Well, don't get me started on Elon. He does like to talk a bunch of B$ that he has a hard time delivering on.

But are you saying you tried Starlink?  Or a standard sat service?

In that video they explained why they think it will be better due to the alt of the sats.  Did you watch the video?

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 03:24:23 PM »
So... what alt these "satellites" are orbiting... best case scenario is
186,000 mile per/sec to the closest one... it may be faster and available to
to those in rural areas but even with the latency disregarded, there is no physical
way it can be faster than ground based systems
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 03:37:05 PM »
So... what alt these "satellites" are orbiting... best case scenario is
186,000 mile per/sec to the closest one... it may be faster and available to
to those in rural areas but even with the latency disregarded, there is no physical
way it can be faster than ground based systems

It's explained in the video.  Did you watch the video?

What ground based system?  The who point is people in these isolated locations can't get ground based service and the service is reportedly faster than the currently available sat services.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 06:22:21 PM »
How about project loon? Called that because.... It's just looney!

https://loon.com/

It's a real thing. I found out about it looking at my flight radar app. Saw a dot icon(not an aircraft) east of me one night. Clicked on it. Info said it was a balloon at 60k heading roughly south. I looked for some just now and sure enough there are three of them over Peru right now. So there's ways!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 07:24:56 PM »
I watched the video twice. I got interrupted the first time and he does give out a ton of information. The satellites are in low orbit and are all connected to each other. It has its own backbone. This backbone is faster than the current fiber optic network. The point he is making is people in rural areas would connect and have way better lag and latency in comparison to what they experience now. If HiTech connects to this service they would get to avoid the internet that the people on land based systems are connected to. This is the key point. They would avoid the land based internet altogether and connect to HiTech over this network direct.

The next question would be if it is offered at a low enough price for HiTech to connect to this service. If it is too expensive it will not be worth it for HiTech to connect.

Watch the video again. 

« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 07:28:01 PM by Mano »

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 08:25:57 PM »
I bet he failed to mention that if the entire starlink fleet is deployed, you will no longer be able to take images of space from your own yard or from planet based observatories without 100 starlink satellites photobombing what you are trying to take pictures of. There are already pictures of starlink sats doing this
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 05:14:54 AM »
I watched the video twice. I got interrupted the first time and he does give out a ton of information. The satellites are in low orbit and are all connected to each other. It has its own backbone. This backbone is faster than the current fiber optic network. The point he is making is people in rural areas would connect and have way better lag and latency in comparison to what they experience now. If HiTech connects to this service they would get to avoid the internet that the people on land based systems are connected to. This is the key point. They would avoid the land based internet altogether and connect to HiTech over this network direct.

The next question would be if it is offered at a low enough price for HiTech to connect to this service. If it is too expensive it will not be worth it for HiTech to connect.

Watch the video again. 

Sorry but as a networks guy I am very skeptical. They are not telling anyone any information about it's capacity and exact capabilities. For example what is the downlink speed? If you have to share a satellite with a 100 other users than that satellites downlink capability has to be shared between users.

The stuff about speed of light is just fluff. It's still very fast over glass. And how tight is a laser beam in space of large distances, is it susceptible to interference?

Oh and ummm rain fade?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 09:59:02 AM »
Talk of speed is misleading in the internet, especially with satellite. While the upload and download speed might be considered "fast", especially compared to dial up the other factor that relates to gaming is latency. That is the lag I was referring to. Yes the signal is traveling at the speed of light. Compared to landline the speed is the same, speed of light but the landline will have a far shorter distance to travel. Then there is the bandwidth situation. In "peak" usage times you will be sharing the same chokepoint, the satellite. How much up and down can it handle and the downlink is another choke point. That bird has to transmit back to the ground into the sat system to transfer back to land line.

I checked out the latency, or lag, on a sat system for gaming before we left the house to go full time RVing. My DSL had great short latency playing America's Army. I hooked to my satellite modem and tried to log onto a practice server with no other players. I shot the wall and counted down how long the signal took to go up, down the return up and down to my modem. It was well over 2 full seconds before the hole from the shot showed up on my monitor. That means anyone on a land sine is going to see me and have more than 2 seconds to kill me before he shows up on my monitor to begin with. The physics of the system is going to kill you for gaming purposes. It's going to be fine for e-mail and regular internet usage that does not require lightning latency speeds.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 10:29:27 AM »
Talk of speed is misleading in the internet, especially with satellite. While the upload and download speed might be considered "fast", especially compared to dial up the other factor that relates to gaming is latency. That is the lag I was referring to. Yes the signal is traveling at the speed of light. Compared to landline the speed is the same, speed of light but the landline will have a far shorter distance to travel. Then there is the bandwidth situation. In "peak" usage times you will be sharing the same chokepoint, the satellite. How much up and down can it handle and the downlink is another choke point. That bird has to transmit back to the ground into the sat system to transfer back to land line.

I checked out the latency, or lag, on a sat system for gaming before we left the house to go full time RVing. My DSL had great short latency playing America's Army. I hooked to my satellite modem and tried to log onto a practice server with no other players. I shot the wall and counted down how long the signal took to go up, down the return up and down to my modem. It was well over 2 full seconds before the hole from the shot showed up on my monitor. That means anyone on a land sine is going to see me and have more than 2 seconds to kill me before he shows up on my monitor to begin with. The physics of the system is going to kill you for gaming purposes. It's going to be fine for e-mail and regular internet usage that does not require lightning latency speeds.

Did you watch the video?

Of course, Elon talks a lot of baloney, but according to the video, the much lower alt the these sats will stay at pushes latency into the 20ms range acceptable for gaming.  We'll see, but that is the  claim.

Also, the future sats will be incorporating a glare-shield to prevent interfering with astronomical observing.

Also, the primary use case for this tech is rural users who have no access to ground systems, fiber optic or otherwise.  So there current options are cell phone or the conventional sats your are referring to.  So this system only has to be better than those to be successful.  It was stated in the video (Did you watch the video?) that this is not intended for high population density areas that already have access to high-speed ground systems.

Then again, Elon talks a lot of baloney sometimes.  We'll see.  But a lot of money is already being thrown in to this so maybe it will work.  I have some land out in the boonies I go out to where I have to use my cell phone.  If I ever decided to try and live out there, I'd need a better system, so I'm rooting for them.

Offline Biggamer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 11:43:14 AM »
I hope this works. ive had to use hotspot modems that's capped out at 15gb each I have 2 plus my phone and tablet also have 15 each and then I got via sat for downloads. had this problem for 20 plus years spectrum is 1700 yards down the road and wants 20 grand to run internet here. ive tried every 2 years for 20 years to get them to connect the loop and they wont its on both sides of me. when my contract is up with via sat im done with them too its pathetic. ill just stick to taking my PC to my brothers house to do downloads and my modems are more then enough to game.
G3-MF

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 12:03:49 PM »
Sorry but as a networks guy I am very skeptical. They are not telling anyone any information about it's capacity and exact capabilities. For example what is the downlink speed? If you have to share a satellite with a 100 other users than that satellites downlink capability has to be shared between users.

The stuff about speed of light is just fluff. It's still very fast over glass. And how tight is a laser beam in space of large distances, is it susceptible to interference?

Oh and ummm rain fade?

Hiya Vulcan

I am by not means an ISP guy but in your opinion you don't believe that if Aces High is connected to this satellite service and players using StarLink cannot get better lag and latency numbers than what they get with their current Sat link set up?

If I understand correctly you do not need big d/l and u/l speeds to play AH. StarLink is not for urban areas and is designed for rural areas. I would not expect saturation to be a big problem since rural area are not densely populated. If AH is connected,  players are not going through the nodes and hops of the internet backbone. They are out of that loop.

I do not know if this service is going to work for gaming, but I do hope that people who live in rural areas have superior service available at a competitive price. Also, people who travel allot will have another way to connect.

Amazon may have a similar system up and running soon. We shall see.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2020, 01:55:19 PM »
It's explained in the video.  Did you watch the video?

Of course I did... nothing was explained on how they are going to get around the physics
of the speed of light much less latency
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll