Author Topic: Maj. William J. "Bill" Price - P-51D "JANIE" (LH*F) - 353rd FG, 350th FS (Ver 2)  (Read 3848 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
My thanks to Lyric1 and Fencer51 for their research assistance and to Devil505, Greebo, and Arlo for their input on the colors for the nose art.

P-51D-10-NA (s/n 44-14419) was flown by Maj. William J. "Bill" Price of the 350th FS, 353rd FG, 8th AF, from 7 September 1944 until the end of his tour on 12 December that same year.   This Mustang, like all his aircraft, was named "Janie" after his sister.   Price flew 108 combat missions over two tours in P-47s and P-51s scoring seven victories (three air, four ground -- three Bf-109s, one He-111, one Fw-190, one Me-210, and one Me-410).   He ended his wartime service as the squadron commander for the 350th and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.

Assigned to another pilot, Lt. George W. Robinson--who renamed her "Marilyn"--the aircraft was lost on 25 December 1944 when Robinson crash-landed due to engine failure (or being shot down) over Belgium.  He managed to evade capture.

The 353rd FG, also known as “Bill's Buzz Boys” or “The Slybird Group” were stationed at Raydon, Suffolk, UK during the period in which they operated P-51s after converting to the type in late September of 1944.

This skin is intentionally devoid of any exhaust staining, and, while that may not satisfy some people in their desire for "photorealism" (tm), it is correct per the available source photos of the aircraft.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 02:17:02 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Maj. Bill Price - P-51D "JANIE" (LH*F) - 353rd FG, 350th FS
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 01:47:56 AM »
I also want to show the way the wing leading edges came out for Devil's benefit.   I think I finally got it down.   :banana:

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Very nice
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Great looking skin Vraciu, nice contrast between the NMF and camo'd areas.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Thanks guys.   I may tweak a couple of things with the checkers to make them a tiny bit less bold.  The spec files look right from the cockpit which may not be obvious from the screenshots.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 09:46:25 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Another great skin V. :aok

As with all skins, this one shows that Price took care of his bird, cleaning the cowling of soot if that is what was on the picture you based it on shows. Even more accurate!
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Another great skin V. :aok

As with all skins, this one shows that Price took care of his bird, cleaning the cowling of soot if that is what was on the picture you based it on shows. Even more accurate!

Thanks, MF.   Here's a shot of it.  No soot.

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Thanks guys.   I may tweak a couple of things with the checkers to make them a tiny bit less bold.  The spec files look right from the cockpit which may not be obvious from the screenshots.

Maybe the checkers should stay as is since they look pretty bold on other Mustangs of the Group.

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
I find the black and yellow to be too black and too yellow. I do not know what the term here is, saturation, maybe?  They don't look painted on or a part of the scheme but rather pasted on or wrapped. I also find the rivets and panel lines to be way too defined, even on the OD (vertical stabilizer for example).

I am no artist or skinner, so take what I say as just a guy that looks for a pretty skin to fly. I just look at the list and find something well done and cool.

:aok
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
I think Perd is on to something.

I'd adjust the boldness of the yellow and black. Also, the OD could stand to be lightened some too, I think.

Another thing comes to mind when I look at your skin is that the panel lines and rivets on the OD sections also seem too bold. I'd try lightening them as well. I generally use 7-8% opacity for a basic line, 15% for a hatch, and 6% for a rivet.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
I think Perd is on to something.

I'd adjust the boldness of the yellow and black. Also, the OD could stand to be lightened some too, I think.

Another thing comes to mind when I look at your skin is that the panel lines and rivets on the OD sections also seem too bold. I'd try lightening them as well. I generally use 7-8% opacity for a basic line, 15% for a hatch, and 6% for a rivet.

The screenshots darken everything.   If I lighten the OD any more it’s gonna look like a green bean in the game.    Same with the checkers.   They’re already at 80% opacity or so...

Panel lines and rivets are a game concession.  I used to get complaints they were too light before. 

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
The screenshots darken everything.   If I lighten the OD any more it’s gonna look like a green bean in the game.    Same with the checkers.   They’re already at 80% opacity or so...

Panel lines and rivets are a game concession.  I used to get complaints they were too light before.

Just occurred to me to ask, what is you gamma level in game?
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Just occurred to me to ask, what is you gamma level in game?

Don’t recall offhand but maybe 1.2 or so....    :headscratch:

I’ll look. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
I find the black and yellow to be too black and too yellow. I do not know what the term here is, saturation, maybe?  They don't look painted on or a part of the scheme but rather pasted on or wrapped. I also find the rivets and panel lines to be way too defined, even on the OD (vertical stabilizer for example).

I am no artist or skinner, so take what I say as just a guy that looks for a pretty skin to fly. I just look at the list and find something well done and cool.

:aok

I always appreciate the feedback.  The dark panel lines on the tail bug me, too, but I just thought that was what everyone wanted based on prior feedback. 

Devil may have figured out why I see three different things from the Viewer to the game to the screenshots—gamma.    I’ve been optimizing the skins for how I see them when I fly them offline and that’s affected by my gamma setting.   

I will report back what that is here shortly.   I’m not motivated to sit down at my PC just yet. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned