Author Topic: P-38J "Screwy Looie" Lt Louis Schriber, 8thFG, 80thFS  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: P-38J "Screwy Looie" Lt Louis Schriber, 8thFG, 80thFS
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 11:56:44 AM »
Just out of curiosity, I wonder how that green looks on a bare metal scheme. It may just an optical illusion caused by the OD green making the green markings appear more yellow. I've noticed the same thing with RLM 02 gray on German schemes. When paired with green camouflage colors, RLM 02 will look like a dark beige, but when used with cold grays it will look like light olive.   
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2020, 12:18:52 PM »
We'll find out - after I finish with my OD P-38Js, I have a natural metal WIP that I'd be working on a few years ago - before I switched to doing P-51s.  I'd hit a wall getting it to look right, but something Greebo said recently gave me an idea to try.   Several of the natural metal birds will be from the 80th FS with the green trim.  (If I could go back, I wound not do multiple skins from the same FS - too confusing in drop down lists I think).

I'm also going to take a crack at my '38J from the 20th FG - I think that skin originally dates from AH1.   It's hideous.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2020, 12:27:51 PM »

Vraciu - I think that painting effect resulted from following Greebo's skin build log and adding the noise and color variation layers.  Lots of variation that just happened.   Plus, I had an accident with an airbrush gun on the top inner left wing, and decided to just leave it. :/

Well, to me the ratio of width to height is off.   The bars on the wing national insignia need to be shortened laterally.    IOW, they extend too far from the circle based on what I'm seeing.

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted