Author Topic: Maj. Howard "Deacon" Hively - P-51D (QP*J) - 4th FG, 334th FS (Ver 2)  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Thanks to Devil505, Perdue3, Greebo, and all the rest of you who helped me kick around the OD issue over on the thread with Janie in it.  https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,400351.0.html

I also have to thank Lyric1 for his photo research and interpretation help some three-plus years ago.   (Wow.)  https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,385906.0.html   We skinners would be sunk without you, sir.

Finally, additional thanks to Devil505 for his step-by-step flap texture guide.

Maj. Howard "Deacon" Hively, Lt. William Bradford Hoelscher
P-51D-15-NA (QP*J)
S/N 44-15347
4th FG, 334th FS
Debden, UK 1944-45

This P-51D-15-NA coded QP*J was the mount of Maj. Howard "Deacon" Hively while he was the CO of the 334FS, 4FG from June-Aug 1944.  It is the only 4FG P-51D to have been painted in olive drab (the underside was natural metal).  Deacon, an RAF Eagle Squadron member, served continuously from 1 September 1941 until the end of the war in 1945 flying Spitfires, Thunderbolts, and Mustangs. An ace with 12 aerial victories and 2.5 aircraft destroyed on the ground, his adventures (including the first shuttle mission to Russia) are too numerous to list here. He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, the Distinguished Flying Cross with six Oak Leaf Clusters, the air Medal with seven Oak Leaf clusters, and the Purple Heart.

He later retired to West Virginia and spent most of his time traveling throughout the States visiting his old friends from the 4th Fighter Group. While visiting one in Florida in 1982, he accidentally fell out of the boat they were using to see the sights and died of a heart attack before he could be rescued.

This Mustang was later flown by Hively's successor Louis “Red Dog” Norley before being passed to Lt. William Bradford Hoelscher.  Hoelscher scored the 4th FG's last victory--and was himself the last man of the group to have been shot down.

While Hoelscher was pursuing an Me-262 jet fighter, shrapnel from flak bursts damaged his wing root, tore part of his tail away, and punctured his coolant system. Fully aware that he was seriously damaged and in jeopardy, he kept after the Me 262 and continued firing short bursts. He saw the German go out of control and begin to burn and smoke. "The jet rolled over on its back,” he wrote.

Second Lieutenant Gordon A. Denson, who was behind Hoelscher in his P-51D (“Priscilla”), wrote, “I saw a large explosion near the edge of the aerodrome under us, where the Me 262 went down out of control on his back.”

With the cooling system of his airplane damaged, Hoelscher was forced to bail out but evaded capture.   He was not officially credited with this kill, unfortunately, leaving him with 2.5 aerial victories in WWII (and multiple aircraft destroyed on the ground).     He later flew F-86s in Korea scoring 1.5 victories and then A-1s in Vietnam.

He retired from the Air Force in 1970 and died in 1984.

Some of these images don't have quite the resolution I wanted, but they're enough to give you the general idea so I've included them as well.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 12:57:24 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Maj. Howard "Deacon" Hively - P-51D (QP*J) - 4th FG, 334th FS
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 12:00:51 AM »

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Maj. Howard "Deacon" Hively - P-51D (QP*J) - 4th FG, 334th FS
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 12:08:29 AM »
 :aok

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Very cool. 

How did you make the photos clickable for a larger version?  I was just looking at the War Thunder Live site for skin camouflages and they do that too.  I've been mulling over how to do that here, and you've done it already.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Very cool. 

How did you make the photos clickable for a larger version?  I was just looking at the War Thunder Live site for skin camouflages and they do that too.  I've been mulling over how to do that here, and you've done it already.

Thanks.

It's a width command inside the image tag.

[img width=800
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Good job, V.

I still think the red nose and rudder are too bold. Try a shade that is 10-15% darker and duller.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Good job, V.

I still think the red nose and rudder are too bold. Try a shade that is 10-15% darker and duller.

You’re killing me, Smalls.  I finally get a decent screenshot by accident and now this?    :bhead  :neener:

Thankfully I’ve not submitted it, so I can tweak it. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Looksgooda me.  Nice.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
I agree with Devil. The OD has improved, but the red is still too bright and pronounced. I understand that OD is different on every airplane, basically, but it seems to be too dark to me.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
I agree with Devil. The OD has improved, but the red is still too bright and pronounced. I understand that OD is different on every airplane, basically, but it seems to be too dark to me.

Thanks.

I'm leaving this OD alone.   I may try creating a new shade from scratch, though.

The screenshots come out darker than the plane actually is.  It looks great when I fly it with a 1.2 Gamma (see the wing screenshot). Any lighter and it looks like garbage.  The source photos of the Mustang itself show a pretty dark airplane any way.  You'll just have to fly it when it's released and see what you think.

I've given up trying to solve the issue with the screenshots being dark.   I can only operate based on what I see when flying the plane.   It looks perfect on my system.   When I fly around I take screenshots thinking they look fantastic but then when I open them they're too dark.   :bhead

I will tweak the red, but again, I think it's being skewed dark. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Maj. Howard "Deacon" Hively - P-51D (QP*J) - 4th FG, 334th FS (Ver 2)
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 11:31:56 AM »
Looksgooda me.  Nice.

Thank you.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 01:49:42 PM »
I am not so sure that it is your screenshot or settings. This is from my normal graphic settings. Notice the differences in color between various skins of other skinners and yours:

31FG by Fester

361 FG by Fester

364 FG by cactus

BBD by Fester

353FG by Fencer

354 FG by Oboe

405FG by Greebo (The perfect Olive Drab, in my opinion)

49 FG by Devil

Now a few of yours in game:

This is your best Olive Drab in game, I think.

The darkest OD on the 51B. This is with Post Lighting Off.

Post Lighting On. You can see just how incredibly dark that color is.

All of these colors become bolder and darker with Post Lighting on. My point here is to show you that it is not your pictures or settings, they are too dark with my settings and screenshots,  too. When you look at other olive drabs, perhaps you can see what I mean about it being really dark. I don't mean to be critical, I just aim to help. I wish I could give you artistic advice, but I am no artist; just an admirer.

:cheers:
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 02:06:16 PM »
I am not so sure that it is your screenshot or settings. This is from my normal graphic settings. Notice the differences in color between various skins of other skinners and yours:

[Miss Velma]
This is your best Olive Drab in game, I think.

[Ding Hao!]
The darkest OD on the 51B. This is with Post Lighting Off.

Post Lighting On. You can see just how incredibly dark that color is.

All of these colors become bolder and darker with Post Lighting on. My point here is to show you that it is not your pictures or settings, they are too dark with my settings and screenshots,  too. When you look at other olive drabs, perhaps you can see what I mean about it being really dark. I don't mean to be critical, I just aim to help. I wish I could give you artistic advice, but I am no artist; just an admirer.

:cheers:

You're not being critical.   You're trying to help and it's greatly appreciated.

None of those skins have the same OD as this one.   This one is definitely lighter than the Bs.   I'll have to look at MISS VELMA and figure out what shade that is compared to this one.

I've noticed the Bs behave differently than the Ds with colors.   I am wondering if the diffuse is stretching a little bit.

I'm drawing the skins to look good on my FE when I'm flying them--and on my end they do.   I may try to photograph my screen with my phone or something.

Is monitor brightness a factor somehow?   Can it be something as stupid as that?    :headscratch:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 03:33:09 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 02:10:44 PM »
You're not being critical.   You're trying to help and it's greatly appreciated.

None of those skins have the same OD as this one.   This one is definitely lighter than the Bs.   I'll have to look at MISS VELMA and figure out what shade that is compared to this one.

I've noticed the Bs behave differently than the Ds with colors.   I am wondering if the diffuse is stretching a little bit.

I'm drawing the skins to look good on my FE when I'm flying them--and on my end they do.   I may try to photograph my screen with my phone or something.

Is monitor brightness a factor somehow?   Can it be something as stupid as that?    :headscratch:

I doubt it. Most of your images look like the last one I posted. Which is simply with Post Lighting on.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2020, 02:26:59 PM »
Great work V!  This is my favourite skin of the P-51D that I use all the time.  :salute
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech