Author Topic: Research Assistance Requested - P-51D "The Deacon" - 21st FG (Iwo Jima)  (Read 10328 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
This Mustang is probably one of the most iconic of the Pacific War.   We've all seen this footage.   I am wondering if anyone has any decent images of the nose art figure.

1)

2) https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/video/the-deacon-starting-up-line-of-p-51s-starting-engines-the-news-footage/mr_00003421

3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPKXZMfyeyM

Thanks in advance.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Waltz41

• Zinc Member
Oh that's a tough one.  Definitely an interesting aircraft, since we know Crim took over #300 with My Aichin'.

Nothing that will help with your query, but a cool shot none the less.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Man, that's NICE. 

So frustrating we can't quite figure out what it is.

Lyric and I think it's The Deacon comic book character with a demon looking over his shoulder. 

If you want to post an image you can copy the link URL and paste it within the image tag.  You may already know this just in case.

Click to enlarge.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 12:03:44 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Man, that's NICE. 

So frustrating we can't quite figure out what it is.

Lyric and I think it's The Deacon comic book character with a demon looking over his shoulder. 

If you want to post an image you can copy the link URL and paste it within the image tag.  You may already know this just in case.

Click to enlarge.

(Image removed from quote.)

Well more specifically "Mr Death" looking over his shoulder one of "The Deacons" comic book nemesis.

Taking this black and white image gives us the most detail.

We believe its "Mr Death over looking someone with their hands over his head in a surrender mode.

Its hard to get a perspective of what we are looking at. Here is the figure standing in front of "Mr Death" he has white shoes as well.

The figures up raised hands are basically in the whites of "MR Deaths" eyes.

Here is one of the comics can't find all the others that "Mr Death" is in as we were hoping the panel was painted from one of the comics.

Micky is essentially Robin to Batman.

No jokes about the Rainbow name banner and a man of the cloth having a young boy as a constant companion.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 01:22:06 AM by lyric1 »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
When you look at the color photo it can lead you multiple directions. 

I'm still staring at it.

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
V I did considerable searching and found nothing so far but the short clip on The Deacon. I found some info on the 21st but nothing that would help. No photos at all.
- The Flying Circus -

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Well more specifically "Mr Death" looking over his shoulder one of "The Deacons" comic book nemesis.

Taking this black and white image gives us the most detail.

We believe its "Mr Death over looking someone with their hands over his head in a surrender mode.

Its hard to get a perspective of what we are looking at. Here is the figure standing in front of "Mr Death" he has white shoes as well.

The figures up raised hands are basically in the whites of "MR Deaths" eyes.

Here is one of the comics can't find all the others that "Mr Death" is in as we were hoping the panel was painted from one of the comics.

Micky is essentially Robin to Batman.

No jokes about the Rainbow name banner and a man of the cloth having a young boy as a constant companion.

MovieBob was right. Comics are weird.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
V I did considerable searching and found nothing so far but the short clip on The Deacon. I found some info on the 21st but nothing that would help. No photos at all.

Thanks. 

Wish I knew what the nose art was.  That's all I need to finish the skin.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline LNG15

• Nickel Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
I am in the FB P-51 Mustang group run by Chris Fahey and I sent a request out to see if I can get some help with it.
Be Prepared To "Get Lanced!"

Offline Waltz41

• Zinc Member
I'll ask Carl Molesworth (Osprey's VLR Mustang book author) and Mark Stevens (7th Fighter Command Historian) to see if they have anything on this airplane.  I have a couple other friends overseas that might be able to help if they have anything.

Excellent job though digging through the Deacon comic!  Very impressed with the work there!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Thanks guys.   Here's to hoping you dig up something.   :cheers:
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Research Assistance Requested - P-51D "The Deacon" - 21st FG (Iwo Jima)
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 12:02:24 AM »
When you look at the color photo it can lead you multiple directions. 

I'm still staring at it.

The Deacon in the comic strips I have mostly wears blue suits. Few other colours here and there. Possibly we have Mickey with his hands up Mr Death in the back ground with the Deacon. You have to have the hero somewhere in that image.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 06:55:55 AM »
Perhaps The Deacon is facing Mr. Death ready to clobber him. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 10:19:08 AM »
Vraciu hold your breath.  Some years ago in our quest to have the Beaufighter introduced to the AH inventory by Dan and myself, the NASM was of great help.  They sent me a -1, drawings and schematics on the Beau. At that time all this info I mailed to Pyro at HiTech Creations.  I hope they still have it.

I just got in touch with the NASM again, the research department, about the 21st FG in Iwo circa 44 and specifically photos of "The Deacon" along with other pertinent info .  They are extremely helpful and their information is impeccable.  I should get a response from them next week.  They are quick, thorough and accurate.

Any info that I get (hopefully) will directly go to Lyric. He will determine what is useful and pass it on. 

Hajo

Vraciu I'll keep you updated on any progress realizing the difficult times were are going through now.  The NASM is closed for the time being to the public.  The Research Dept. hopefully is still in business.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 10:25:01 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2020, 10:21:47 AM »
Vraciu hold your breath.  Some years ago in our quest to have the Beaufighter introduced to the AH inventory by Dan and myself, the NASM was of great help.  They sent me a -1, drawings and schematics on the Beau. At that time all this info I mailed to Pyro at HiTech Creations.  I hope they still have it.

I just got in touch with the NASM again, the research department, about the 21st FG in Iwo circa 44 and specifically photos of "The Deacon" along with other pertinent info .  They are extremely helpful and their information is impeccable.  I should get a response from them next week.  They are quick, thorough and accurate.

Any info that I get will directly go to Lyric. He will determine what is useful and pass it on. 

Hajo

Nice very helpful.