Author Topic: Maj. Gerald E. Montgomery - P-51D "Sizzlin' Liz" (QP*H) - 4th FG, 334th FS Rev 1  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Just a quick update to this one using lessons learned.  It's not a complete revamp of my previous version ( https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,394618.msg5235852.html#msg5235852 ), just a tweak to the paint and a few sections of metal.   With that one I had tried something that didn't work as I hoped it would.  I've since learned better ways to do it any way.

I've merely posted it here as a record of where it stands now.
___

P-51D-15-NA, s/n 44-15326
"Sizzlin' Liz" - QP*H
Maj. Gerald Emerson Montgomery
4th Fighter Group, 334th Fighter Squadron
Debden, 1945

Major Montgomery was a native of Dallas, Texas, when he entered the Air Corps. He was assigned to the 4th Fighter Group, 334th Squadron on 15 May 1943 and remained with that unit until the end of hostilities. At the completion of his first tour he had destroyed 11 enemy aircraft. His first plane, a P-47 Thunderbolt, was named "Texas". For his second tour he was assigned a P-51 Mustang, which he named "Sizzlin Liz" (one of three aircraft to bear this name). He was quicklyassigned as Squadron Operations Officer where he continued to take a toll on enemy aircraft having 14.5 to his credit when the war ended.

He is believed to have been killed in action during the Korean War while flying F-84E Thunderjets out as Deputy Wing Commander 136th FBW based at Taegu Airfield (K-2) S. Korea. He was flying F-84E s/n 50-1169 when he was shot down by flak over N.Korea on March 3, 1952.   He was last seen standing in shallow water near his chute waving his arms and was listed as Missing In Action until May 2004 when he was declared Killed In Action.   A grave marker in his name was placed in Arlington National Cemetery with full military honours and a fly-by.

___

I have found multiple photos (including one in color) that show the airplane as depicted here, with the large version of the red cowling paint and no invasion stripes so I went with that.

Offsite Gallery:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/TXSxW6C

« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 05:59:17 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Great job.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Great job.

Thanks.  I'm trying to get a handle on these painted areas. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Nice update Vraciu. Your screenshots' lighting angles are really showing the NMF to good effect.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
Nice one V
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
The slight gray-blue tint really is superb  :aok
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Seems to be getting more and more photorealistic....
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Sizzlin' Liz sizzles!  I think you've got the metal look down pat.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Vraciu very nice work.  Improving and moving towards photo realistic every skin made recently.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Thanks everybody.   I know it's not apparent but I am trying different things.   It's subtle but I think over time you hopefully see progression.    Sometimes I'm not sure if a change I've made is for the better or not, but I keep experimenting.

:salute
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Can't find a larger version but this is a fair WWII color photo of a '51D from same FG.   I saw it and thought of your screenshot.   I really wish the AH  P-51's inner gear doors would drop when the gear is down and locked and the engine is shut off.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 10:35:05 AM by oboe »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Can't find a larger version but this is a fair WWII color photo of a '51D from same FG.   I saw it and thought of your screenshot.   I really wish the AH  P-51's inner gear doors would drop when the gear is down and locked and the engine is shut off.

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks, bro.  You made my day with that.   I was using this photo as my main goal.   Kept thinking maybe I overshot the brightness on the metal, but your picture makes me think perhaps not. 

Agree on the gear doors, however, they tend to bleed down at different rates depending on how well the hydraulic system holds pressure.   So I just chalk it off to the system being above average.  Lol
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
How do you guys get grass in your screenshots?
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Texture Details I think. It is an option in the graphic settings. It does not say grass, but maybe Ground Texture Detail? Something in that neighbourhood.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com