Author Topic: Maps are way too big  (Read 9879 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Maps are way too big
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2020, 03:28:06 PM »
Yeah, but it's not 15 on 18.  If I'm wanting to make the 45 fight 2 or 3 against 6 and I wind up making it 7 on 1 or 2, now I'm stuck for 6 hours, or I'm only around for the next hour with nothing to do but horde.  And just as often as not, the "high" number side is actually often getting horded because people are either in GVs or tower.

Heh, you're really going out of your way to paint this harder than it really is.  ;)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2020, 03:31:25 PM »
Heh, you're really going out of your way to paint this harder than it really is.  ;)

No, I'm really not.  I'm explaining the reality of people who preferentially/exclusively fly fighters.  I'm sorry I don't care about the GV fight or strat bombing.  The 45 fight is your only option, and I've never seen asking work once.

Again though, the 6 hour side switch timer and the chesspiece underoos are the main limiter, nobody's inclined to switch anyways.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2020, 03:32:25 PM »
Thank you for proving my point.  What in that available information shows who has the superior numbers in the fight between 22 and 45?  Is that 1 bish upping against 6 rooks, or is it 6 bish upping for 1 rook?  Total country numbers don't mean much when looking at a conflict between 2 fields.

Wiley.
So think sector counters should be split into 3 bars?

HiTech

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2020, 03:34:16 PM »

HiTech

That would certainly help figure out which side needs the help and allow people to switch to the right side. Maybe the single redbar would become a yellow / red bar to show to different countries (or similar color arangement)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2020, 03:34:59 PM »
No, I'm really not.  I'm explaining the reality(?) of people who preferentially/exclusively fly fighters.  I'm sorry I don't care about the GV fight or strat bombing.  The 45 fight is your only option, and I've never seen asking work once.

Again though, the 6 hour side switch timer and the chesspiece underoos are the main limiter, nobody's inclined to switch anyways.

Not 'reality.' Perception. The example I gave offers an immediate fight for a Knight player that can switch without any degree of trauma involved. Ask, don't ask. I've switched on and off throughout my time in AH and it never hurt me, even once.  :aok

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2020, 03:36:05 PM »

If it could be done without too much trouble, maybe so. :)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2020, 03:43:41 PM »

HiTech

Personally I think it'd help if people were inclined to switch, but I'm not sure it'd be worth it for the dozen or so people who might be inclined to do it these days.  Chesspiece loyalty and that other thing put a pretty big damper on it.

When it was accidentally set to an hour wait for side switching back, I used to do it fairly regularly during non-prime time.  If a squaddie or two showed up I'd generally only have minutes before I could switch back to that side to be with them.  Now I won't do it because if the situation changes, I'm stuck for the play session, and that's the main thing that stops most people side switching at the moment IMO.  6 hours may as well be 24 for a lot of people.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2020, 03:48:48 PM »
Not terribly inclined to climb for an hour and press B at the appropriate time, nor do I desire to sit in a metal box on the ground awaiting a bomb or bullet from nowhere.  There is something going on between 22 and 45, but I've never seen a question and reply on 200 like you describe since I've been here.

Wiley.

If you do not have time to find a fight..... I can't help you. I have certain times to fly and find my own fights.

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2020, 03:49:41 PM »

HiTech
That would be interesting....
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2020, 03:51:22 PM »
Not 'reality.' Perception. The example I gave offers an immediate fight for a Knight player that can switch without any degree of trauma involved. Ask, don't ask. I've switched on and off throughout my time in AH and it never hurt me, even once.  :aok

Online games are an absolute master class in "perception is reality". ;)  You can see it with the people from all 3 sides who complain about how they're ALWAYS being double teamed and HTC is conspiring against their chesspiece/favoring one of the other ones.  Perception of cheating may as well be proof of cheating in most peoples' minds.

Yeah, you could ask.  If you're misinformed or get no reply and guess wrong, you're stuck on the horde side of that fight for the next 6 hours.  So you log.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #145 on: August 06, 2020, 03:54:49 PM »
Online games are an absolute master class in "perception is reality". ;)  You can see it with the people from all 3 sides who complain about how they're ALWAYS being double teamed and HTC is conspiring against their chesspiece/favoring one of the other ones.  Perception of cheating may as well be proof of cheating in most peoples' minds.

Yeah, you could ask.  If you're misinformed or get no reply and guess wrong, you're stuck on the horde side of that fight for the next 6 hours.  So you log.

Wiley.

To not do anything is worse. I look it over and take my best shot at it. It is all part of the game.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #146 on: August 06, 2020, 03:57:58 PM »

Why would I log? I'm more flexible than most. I just switched back to Rooks from Knights. The fight ended up being more sea battle than air. PT boats are fun, too.

Again, it's not a 'map too big' thing. Go to the fight. Fight in the fight. See fight change. Change with the fight.  :D

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2020, 04:01:38 PM »
To not do anything is worse. I look it over and take my best shot at it. It is all part of the game.

It's what people have learned over time though.  The old "head alone toward an enemy base" these days generally just results in giving the guy in the 88 practice.

Why would I log? I'm more flexible than most. I just switched back to Rooks from Knights. The fight ended up being more sea battle than air. PT boats are fun, too.

Again, it's not a 'map too big' thing. Go to the fight. Fight in the fight. See fight change. Change with the fight.  :D

Or, see no enemy aircraft or 1 or 2 covered up by 5 friendlies, and log.  Quite a few people don't want to get in a boat, bomber, or GV.  You say "get in a boat", they say "get in a plane".

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #148 on: August 06, 2020, 04:06:37 PM »
Or, see no enemy aircraft or 1 or 2 covered up by 5 friendlies, and log.  Quite a few people don't want to get in a boat, bomber, or GV.  You say "get in a boat", they say "get in a plane".

I get in a plane. I get in a PT boat. I occasionally get in a vehicle. I'm not a 'fun prude.' Fun comes in all flavors. But there is no 'can't find a fight' unless that's just something one tells oneself when the reality is, the fight is dictated by the group, not the individual.  :cool: :cheers:

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #149 on: August 06, 2020, 04:14:00 PM »
I get in a plane. I get in a PT boat. I occasionally get in a vehicle. I'm not a 'fun prude.' Fun comes in all flavors. But there is no 'can't find a fight' unless that's just something one tells oneself when the reality is, the fight is dictated by the group, not the individual.  :cool: :cheers:

Well, unfortunately a lot of the people who "can't find a fight" mean "can't find an air to air fight".  Regardless of your or my opinion on it, that's their thing.

Field distance I think is far more important to generating action than actual map size.  You very rarely see 10 bandits spread across 10 different sectors of a large map.  It's not uncommon at low number times to see a maximum of 6 (it's actually 3) bandits in the air on your country's fronts though.  It doesn't make a difference if they're in 3 adjacent sectors or 3 that are spread across 150 miles, really.

To funnel the low number times enough to make it worthwhile, it'd pretty well need to be the old DA furball lake.  People who don't want to be opposed will find a way, just about regardless of map size unless it gets extremely smaller.  Not that I'm suggesting that either, just saying that's how people play.

Wiley.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 04:16:42 PM by Wiley »

JG11