Author Topic: Maps are way too big  (Read 9880 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Maps are way too big
« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2020, 03:43:08 PM »
I'm of the mind that even 5 minutes is too short. Squads have people gather in the tower and even discuss squad mission parameters. If activity includes going to the hangar and looking through toy options and their load outs then that's one thing. If activity must be in a toy with wheels up, vehicle engine on or some such, that's another. What about gun emplacements? Start punishing players for 'too much' tower time and they'll man rear area guns and take naps.  ;)

Pretty simple to implement, if you haven't got any activity on channels or clicking on anything, whatever time they settle on, have a 30 second "click Ok or get booted" window pop up in a random location.

Ofc putting a rubber band on your joystick and sitting in a field gun negates it, which is why HT hasn't bothered with it.  It would help with the accidentals, not so much with the guys who are doing it intentionally.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #166 on: August 07, 2020, 03:50:05 PM »
No reason for ENY constraints under 100 players IMO.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #167 on: August 07, 2020, 03:50:47 PM »
If your discussing and talking about missions/plans, I think that would be called activity, and so no bounce.

Basically they are looking for players who tower sit over night hoping to be counted in on the win. Also players like cybro that hide  in a spot to flash a base for hours on end.  These players are contributing nothing to game play and so should be kicked.

There are so many ideas posted to try and help generate more players, or more action. Hes another one, squads take in new players. New players gets 500 perks for joining a squad. Squad retains the player who must be active say 40 hours a tour for 3 tours HTC pulls a random name from that squad and gives them a free month of AH. Makes squad work to bring in and attach new players, makes squads work together to keep the new player hopefully training/teaching them a few tricks and all it costs HTC is a single months subscription which is covered by retaining a new player for 3 months.

Nobody KNOWs how some of these ideas would pan out, everyone, even Hitech is only speculating. The only way to know for sure is to try them. Kicking players may piss off some players, tough, dont become so inactive, either play, or log.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #168 on: August 07, 2020, 03:51:13 PM »
Pretty simple to implement, if you haven't got any activity on channels or clicking on anything, whatever time they settle on, have a 30 second "click Ok or get booted" window pop up in a random location.

Ofc putting a rubber band on your joystick and sitting in a field gun negates it, which is why HT hasn't bothered with it.  It would help with the accidentals, not so much with the guys who are doing it intentionally.

Wiley.

I wasn't suggesting that for AH, just providing an example. 

In the case of AH, I suspect a large percentage of those towered players are just using AH as a chat room.  They are probably texting and voxing but not  flying.  So you'd have to decide if that is inactivity.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #169 on: August 07, 2020, 03:57:16 PM »
It would help with the accidentals, not so much with the guys who are doing it intentionally.

Which leads me to wonder 'why bother?' There is no great tower time conspiracy that affects one side more than any other. 'Game improvement' should never focus on broken perception.

I like the idea of some AI being added to the MA. Others have poo pooed that. But at least AI will never be social engineering.  :D

*20% AI activity wouldn't end the world. Make it stuff that is already non-dog fighting - strat runs, tank columns moving into newly acquired territory, more trains, fleets automatically firing on other fleets when in range (with players still able to take over turrets) so forth. Keep fighters human so you can feed off your opponent's tears.  :aok
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 03:58:58 PM by Arlo »

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #170 on: August 07, 2020, 04:06:44 PM »
You are worried about people in the tower. Mostly your high numbers are because you have a lot of folks on the side you are on. Try switching to a low number side and even up the numbers.

It skews the numbers on all sides, and lack of typing, interacting with GUI in the tower for more than 5 minutes should boot you, especially when it affects playability of the game.  Why should he have to switch countries because one has more AFK players?

The only reason against a inactivity boot would IMO would be that the actual online count would drop by a lot (different percentage given the time of day.)
When numbers are low in the arena, 3 or 4 afk folks more on one side can really jack around with ENY.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #171 on: August 07, 2020, 04:08:02 PM »
Which leads me to wonder 'why bother?' There is no great tower time conspiracy that affects one side more than any other. 'Game improvement' should never focus on broken perception.

I like the idea of some AI being added to the MA. Others have poo pooed that. But at least AI will never be social engineering.  :D

I think people make a mountain out of the tower sitter molehill.  For one thing, HT pointed out if you assume similar numbers of tower sitters per side, kicking them would actually make ENY worse.

However, I wouldn't be tremendously skeptical that when a team's getting close to a win they get an inordinate amount of tower sitters waiting for those precious, precious war win perks.  :rolleyes:

I wasn't suggesting that for AH, just providing an example. 

In the case of AH, I suspect a large percentage of those towered players are just using AH as a chat room.  They are probably texting and voxing but not  flying.  So you'd have to decide if that is inactivity.

Oh sure.  I don't have a problem with it in principle, I just don't think it would be effective at stopping the problem people seem to be fixated on.

I don't see why you would kick them if they're talking/texting.  Talking to people is a lot of what goes on in here.  Most MMOs I've played worked similarly.  If they don't get any inputs, they boot you.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #172 on: August 07, 2020, 04:09:37 PM »
AI fighters with different skill sets would add a great element to the game IMO

Any empty base should have a couple spawn as soon as air dar starts blinking.

It would improve the fun and strategy during low number hours.

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #173 on: August 07, 2020, 04:13:36 PM »
If your discussing and talking about missions/plans, I think that would be called activity, and so no bounce.

Basically they are looking for players who tower sit over night hoping to be counted in on the win. Also players like cybro that hide  in a spot to flash a base for hours on end.  These players are contributing nothing to game play and so should be kicked.

There are so many ideas posted to try and help generate more players, or more action. Hes another one, squads take in new players. New players gets 500 perks for joining a squad. Squad retains the player who must be active say 40 hours a tour for 3 tours HTC pulls a random name from that squad and gives them a free month of AH. Makes squad work to bring in and attach new players, makes squads work together to keep the new player hopefully training/teaching them a few tricks and all it costs HTC is a single months subscription which is covered by retaining a new player for 3 months.

Nobody KNOWs how some of these ideas would pan out, everyone, even Hitech is only speculating. The only way to know for sure is to try them. Kicking players may piss off some players, tough, dont become so inactive, either play, or log.

Hmmm... I kind of like your new player idea. Might need some tweaking in a way or two... but it seems very sound. It also requires the individual to stay awhile and participate. The HOOK!

I'm sure HT gets a lot of suggestions but I think you should send this direct to him.  :salute
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #174 on: August 07, 2020, 04:15:10 PM »
It skews the numbers on all sides, and lack of typing, interacting with GUI in the tower for more than 5 minutes should boot you, especially when it affects playability of the game.  Why should he have to switch countries because one has more AFK players?

The only reason against a inactivity boot would IMO would be that the actual online count would drop by a lot (different percentage given the time of day.)
When numbers are low in the arena, 3 or 4 afk folks more on one side can really jack around with ENY.

WAIT.... it takes me longer than 5 minutes to mix up more margaritas.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #175 on: August 07, 2020, 04:16:30 PM »

Zactly, eh? (I'm 'Canadian' until after TFT.)  :joystick:

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #176 on: August 07, 2020, 04:27:16 PM »

just up a tank point it in the direction of some trees and take your time making margaritas.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #177 on: August 07, 2020, 04:29:09 PM »
Zactly, eh? (I'm 'Canadian' until after TFT.)  :joystick:

They still letting you wear your boots?    :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2020, 04:30:19 PM »
just up a tank point it in the direction of some trees and take your time making margaritas.

semp

Have you seen me in a tank??????  I am usually blowing up. ROTFLMAO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #179 on: August 07, 2020, 04:36:38 PM »
They still letting you wear your boots?    :rofl